E55... 1st post, 1st 1/4 mile pass...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by urbamworm
All this 1/4 mile talk the past few days is killing me. I want to go to the track and see how my new setup goes but the track doesn't have any test n tunes right now
Your preaching to the choir here brotha!

OP fix your cooling. Bigger HE, pump, and slit cooling is a must in FL. If your gonna track it a lot then you need some kind of tank, whether it be in the trunk or engine bay.

Good luck! Maybe we will see each other sometime.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 88 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
As long as you had fun , that is the main thing. M3 should not be chasing you down at all. I watched one run 108 traps all day long when it was 65 degrees out running bottom 13s. I agree with others that you need a new pump.

Aren't you supposed to launch these off idle and also use comfort or actually raise the car.

FYI you can get a wireless bluetooth obd scanner on amazon for $15 shipped and download Torque for your smart phone for scanning. Works great. Data logs clears codes and is very configurable.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 e55 AMG,
Originally Posted by Lelix
Sounds like your pump is weak and you are pulling a lot of timing on the second half of the 1/4 due to IAT's. You should be at least in the mid to low 12's bone stock. Definitely replace the IC pump, make sure its bled by the book,change the SC belt.

Another thing to consider, I felt a huge difference in power after replacing both upstream O2 sensors.
Thanks man good advice on the O2's , I did not think of replacing those.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM

03 e55 AMG,
Originally Posted by dllhg
As long as you had fun , that is the main thing. M3 should not be chasing you down at all. I watched one run 108 traps all day long when it was 65 degrees out running bottom 13s. I agree with others that you need a new pump.

Aren't you supposed to launch these off idle and also use comfort or actually raise the car.

FYI you can get a wireless bluetooth obd scanner on amazon for $15 shipped and download Torque for your smart phone for scanning. Works great. Data logs clears codes and is very configurable.
Thanks man! Yeah I think the M3 guy was more shocked then I was, after the race he said he did not think he stood a chance to which I replied" ya got a fast car there kid".

On launch, what should I do just sidestep the brake and mash it off idle? (I am used to launching my 04 a4 GTO at about 2600rpm off the brake so that's what I tried)... It felt like it left really hard! No spin but yeah it fell off on the big end...

Thanks, I'll check into that obd it sounds cool!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 PM

03 e55 AMG,
Originally Posted by GregMB
I've got nothing new to add from a technical perspective, but I will give you props for posting your first dragstrip run, and being willing to share video even though you lost the race. It sure seems like there is a heatsoak problem since that M3 was able to drive around you on the big end of the track..... It takes a TON of power to chase someone down like that, so in this case I'd guess that you were actually LOSING a ton of power and slowly letting him reel you in.

Data logging would be a big help too. It cheap enough to do now. Eurocharged is about to release software to do it conveniently...so I'd keep an eye on that thread and get yourself a copy once it's released. Seeing your IATs on the datalogs will tell the tale.

-G
I really was hoping it would run in the 12's but it ran what it ran right... So I figured I'd post the vid and as expected I have received some great feedback from you guys on what the real issue is. I don't want any more M cars pulling on my 55 like that so I will be upgrading the cooling asap... I will keep checking on that Eurocharged software thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM

03 e55 AMG,
Originally Posted by GT-ER
You stated you've had your supercharger turn off twice before, this should not happen pretty much ever if your cooling system is working properly. You have a bad pump. Swap it out and watch your car go mid 12's at over 112+mph. May car ran 12.5@114mph stock in 90* temps and 80% humidity.
Comforting words my friend! Glad to know there is hope and it's fairly cheap. I can't wait to swap this pump!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate

"Supposed to", ......don't think so.

I ran a 1.49 60ft. and run 1.5s all day. I NEVER launch off idle. I stall @1500.

This is on Hoosiers btw. Stock gears, stock Trans, and stock tc.

If you want 60s to go down, then get an LSD.

Last edited by RedBullJnky; 04-28-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM

2004 SL55
I've got an SL55 and just found this thread and wanted to offer my 2 cents, but I hope Im not being a but-in-ski.

I just took my car to the track yesterday for the 2nd time since I've owned it and found that mine launches best at 1200 RPM. I think coming out at 2000 RPM is a little too high. Im sure that your biggest problem is your IC pump like everyone is saying, but I still think you can benefit from backing off the RPMs a bit.

Launching at 1200, my 60ft times were 1.77 and 1.78. For the third pass I tried 1500. Too much. Broke the tires loose and had a 2.03 60ft. First 2 runs were 12.20 and 12.18 respectively and the third was a 12.66. 2/3 of the time I lost on the last run was in the 60' and all of it was in the first 330' as I spun into 2nd as well.

Also what was your psi in your rear tires? I take mine down to 20psi. If you're not lowering them when you get to the track, you need to do so. And what about traction control? Was it off?

To sum, I found that I launch best with the TC off, 20psi in the rear tires, and coming out at 1200 RPM.

Oh and Im running street tires...Hankook Ventus V12s on 20" rims.

Hope this helped a bit.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by BobLibSL55
I've got an SL55 and just found this thread and wanted to offer my 2 cents, but I hope Im not being a but-in-ski.

I just took my car to the track yesterday for the 2nd time since I've owned it and found that mine launches best at 1200 RPM. I think coming out at 2000 RPM is a little too high. Im sure that your biggest problem is your IC pump like everyone is saying, but I still think you can benefit from backing off the RPMs a bit.

Launching at 1200, my 60ft times were 1.77 and 1.78. For the third pass I tried 1500. Too much. Broke the tires loose and had a 2.03 60ft. First 2 runs were 12.20 and 12.18 respectively and the third was a 12.66. 2/3 of the time I lost on the last run was in the 60' and all of it was in the first 330' as I spun into 2nd as well.

Also what was your psi in your rear tires? I take mine down to 20psi. If you're not lowering them when you get to the track, you need to do so. And what about traction control? Was it off?

To sum, I found that I launch best with the TC off, 20psi in the rear tires, and coming out at 1200 RPM.

Hope this helped a bit.
1200 RPM also works best for me, on drag radials...I give about 1/2 throttle when the 3rd yellow lights up, wait to feel the car grab the pavement, then quickly but smoothly give it full throttle. You don't need full throttle for initial launch- My 60 ft were in the 1.70's. This was at 22psi on the drag radials. ESP ON for me, suspension in comfort mode.

Bob- What was the temperature when you ran these times?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 PM

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
1200 RPM also works best for me, on drag radials...I give about 1/2 throttle when the 3rd yellow lights up, wait to feel the car grab the pavement, then quickly but smoothly give it full throttle. You don't need full throttle for initial launch- My 60 ft were in the 1.70's. This was at 22psi on the drag radials. ESP ON for me, suspension in comfort mode.

Bob- What was the temperature when you ran these times?
Beautiful day yesterday in Pittsburgh. Sunny and mid-upper 60s all day with low humidity. The weather was definitely very helpful.

Dragtimes.com has a DA calculator that gives you weather of the track the day you were there. It was just about 70 degrees, with 27% humidity and a BP of 30.25 for a DA of 1761.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM

03 e55 AMG,
Originally Posted by BobLibSL55

Hope this helped a bit.
Thanks for all of the input! You have a fast SL there.

I will have to try this next time out... T/C was off and tire spin did not seem like a problem but I guess power was down. I think I will start with the pump and then play with some different techniques once I am sure it's running like it should. Thanks again for all of the tips!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
How the heck are yall getting 1.89-1.7 60 fts on reg tires??

I would kill for that! My 12.05 was with a 1.98.

Also, doesnt comfort mode leave in 2nd gear?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by black06c230
IC pump replace and try again and you should see a large improvement.
+1 it's amazing the difference - can't get a better HP saver for < $200
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge

I guess it depends on how well the track is prepped. I ran 11.5 with a 1.71 60ft. time on Invos. With ESP off. Once again, stalled it to get the slack out.
And the suspension goes in comfort, not the trans.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V

I have been to 3 different tracks on street tires and 90% of the time you can't get traction because of track prep. The night I did my best time that is listed in my sig I only got 1 run that had a "good" 60ft of 1.82 and the rest are right at the 2.0 range like 1.97 to 2.1. They had just laid down some VHT and I was the 2nd car to go after that and actually was able to give it some throttle (not wide open but a decent amount) and the tires didn't spin. It felt so weird being able to get traction and actually pull off the line with out spinning a lot. I came back up to the line and waited my turn (several cars went) and then spun that next run, my grip was already gone for good that night and back to 2.0s

I have found the best to just try and fight myself every which way possible to mash the gas and just ease in to it with traction control off and car in manual mode. That way I can get some ever so slight wheel spin and get some lower 1.9s but that still sucks.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Redbull, you are probably correct, but I thought I red somewhere that the car leaves in 2nd gear in comfort mode... Im probably (most likely) wrong...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 88 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
"Supposed to", ......don't think so.

I ran a 1.49 60ft. and run 1.5s all day. I NEVER launch off idle. I stall @1500.

This is on Hoosiers btw. Stock gears, stock Trans, and stock tc.

If you want 60s to go down, then get an LSD.
That is what most people told me in a recent thread of mine including at least one person running 10s like you. Is you TCU tuned ? If it is that would be different. If the tune cant take advantage of the brake torquing , it makes sense it wont help but might even hurt

Here are two quotes I found for launching. The first is from a guy running 10.8-10.9s. AMGrocket is the second one and he pulled a 1.6 with street tires and is running 10.5s with rubber.
with DRs;
When you go back to the track set your psi at 20, raise your suspension, turn your shock setting off and get a nice burning going with you rolling out hot and then power brake just long enough to take the slack out of the suspension and then let it go back down to idle and when you are ready after the light turns green very quickly step on the gas at the same
Turn traction control off (I use dyno mode) raise suspension up to. Press the brake hard and give it a little as to help raise the rear up a little more while holding the brake then let back off the throttle. Then roll into the throttle. The last part depends on your tires and how it hooks up for you. I've cut 1.60's on street tires but like Lowprofile said Practice practice practice.

Last edited by dllhg; 04-29-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
sounds like a little belt slip as well after the burnout - not uncommon, but check your S/C belt
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 PM

03 e55 AMG,
Originally Posted by Toadster
sounds like a little belt slip as well after the burnout - not uncommon, but check your S/C belt
After watching a few burnouts from fellow 55 drivers I have heard belt slip as well. I then went on to read that a new belt can make quite a bit of difference on these cars so I will be replacing it at the same time that I do the pump. I was thinking that I applied the brake as the car was just finishing the burnout and when the tires grabbed something had to give hence the belt slip, maybe part of the load management programmed in.?.? or just a bad belt...

Before I tuned the tranny on my 4 speed GTO it would slip the belt slightly on the 1-2 shift as part of torque management programmed into the car from factory. After the tune the Goat just gave me big gnarly dangerous shifts no belt slippage. I wonder if a tranny tune on the 55 would do the same. Anyway thanks for the tip!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
I'll bet you Definitely have a bad pump.. No way a M3 pulls on you at the back end of a 1/4... You were pulling timing big time.. New H/E, pump, belt wrap kit.. This will Definitely help.. Then go find that M3 again and tell him to bring it..
Old 04-29-2013, 02:07 PM

03 e55 AMG,
Originally Posted by SilverStrk
I'll bet you Definitely have a bad pump.. No way a M3 pulls on you at the back end of a 1/4... You were pulling timing big time.. New H/E, pump, belt wrap kit.. This will Definitely help.. Then go find that M3 again and tell him to bring it..
Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement!!! I was pretty shocked when that M came around me. I won't race again until I am sure it is running right, don't want to give these Bimmer guys a false sense of superiority
Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM

2005 E55 AMG
I have a new Bosch HE pump, Shardul's belt wrap kit, 3 piece idler pulleys and upper pulley and ran 12.06 on street tires. Top notch items and highly recommend them!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Redbull, you are probably correct, but I thought I red somewhere that the car leaves in 2nd gear in comfort mode... Im probably (most likely) wrong...
Yes comfort leaves in 2nd when you have the transmission in comfort.( The botton that lets you switch from S, M, and C.
What I'm talking about is the button that changes from Sport1, Sport2, and Comfort. This does not change any gears.
After you do your burnout, you should hit the raise button(let the car fully raise). This helps with wieght transfer. In Sport2 the car is lower and and all the tq from the launch is on the inner tire. You'll spin.
That is what most people told me in a recent thread of mine including at least one person running 10s like you. Is you TCU tuned ? If it is that would be different. If the tune cant take advantage of the brake torquing , it makes sense it wont help but might even hurt

Here are two quotes I found for launching. The first is from a guy running 10.8-10.9s. AMGrocket is the second one and he pulled a 1.6 with street tires and is running 10.5s with rubber.
with DRs;
You should have looked up my thread on launching. But if you've seen any of my pics with other members, then you can see that i always go against the grain. Or you can look up how many AMGs have launch a 1.4x 60ft. I know I'm on that very short list, anong with Blackbenz.

And believe me, I know those quotes. I did the same thing when I first got my 55. I asked everything. Got alot of help to. But in the end, every car and driver is different. Its all in what ever works for you.

BTW amgrocket's 1.6 is at MIR. Or MIRacle track.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:40 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Thanks for the clarification RedBullJnky!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Thanks for the clarification RedBullJnky!
Not a problem. With your setup and better 60s you'll see 11s all day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: E55... 1st post, 1st 1/4 mile pass...