Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock V2 CTS-V vs Stockish E92 M3 and Extremelly modified 300zx TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
I don't know why all my pics from my iphone go sideways, sorry.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
Yeah, I was poking fun at two guys in a vert.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
1970GSX: Now I feel like a reject as you have the list of your cars below (I guess that is your signature they call it) and I didn't even see it! Duh for me! So, I looked at one in Conn. 8 months ago or so, a white one that was very original, but far from perfect and he was at $50k. I honestly thought it was worth like $35k and he wouldn't budge on price.

Anyway, very nice and cool car! Love the old muscle cars and cool cruisers to bring to local shows and gatherings and stuff but as far as driving, the e55 is like a sedative for me after tough, long days of work. People need a drink after a long day or tough week...I take the AMG for a ride!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: Cadillac CTS-V (V2), Chevy Cruze Past: E55k
My bad Denroll
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
I am un-injured.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM

lol
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Hotsoss
Hi members:

This is my first post related to street encounters, but I figured I would share my stories since I don't race that often and these are the first real races worth posting I've had since purchasing the V sedan last fall.

First race (Last Wed) E92 M3 convertible vs. My Stock V Sedan (alone)

I was driving home minding my own business when a sick white convertible M3 with special ground effects and black rims with two guys inside started riding kind of close in hopes of getting my attention. I initially ignored them because it was quite a few cars around and not enough room to open it up safely without putting other drivers at risk. Finally the road ahead opened up with a clear stretch ahead of me, so I figured what the heck, let's see how my car performs against good competition before modding. So I moved over to the right lane and the M3 immediately even up with me in the left lane and signal for a 3 count. Knowing that I should win assuming the M3 was stock I let him get the initial hit from about 65 and I immediately stop his pull and proceeded to put about 3 car lengths by about 115ish when I let out as it was not necessary to go any faster. It was a slow but progressive pull and exactly what I thought would happen. After the race the guys in the M3 came up along my side and we exchange friendly gestures and we went on our separate ways. Overall, I was impressed by the M3, especially with it being a convertible and I can only imagine how bad a Gitani M3 would whip me in my current stock state.

Second race (Today) Extremelly modified 90's 300ZX Twin Turbo vs. My Stock V Sedan (alone)

Again, driving home I came up upon an extremelly modified 300ZX with a nasty turbo exhaust note and HUGE rear wheels. I knew this might be ugly knowing that a friend of mine has one of these beast with aftermarket turbos and other stuff pushing over 700 at the wheels, but I figured don't be a punk lol! Well immediately after I rode up along the Z rear bumper from the center lane he punched it from about an 80 roll and I immediately followed. He proceeded to put two cars on me by about 125. He slowly pulled me the way I pulled the M3. Despite the loss I was very impressed with how my car kept up considering a stage 1 or 2 would likely turn the tables when I decide to mod. I mean I was right there just getting inched away ever so slowly as the speed progressed. We then decided to go once again, this time I was right behind him and he hit it from about 70 and took it up to 135-140mph and I stayed right on him about 3-4 safely back. Neither of us was able to gain any ground either way this time. I then rode up to his window and we exchanged friendly gestures and gave each other props on our vehicles. Not that this justifies this behaviors in any way, but there was literally no one else on the road when all of this happened. Overall, I was very impressed with how the V performed (first loss) considering I was likely racing an aftermarket turbo Z. Time for some mods now.
Hey Lawrence, nice runs. Slap a pulley and tune on that beast and unlock another 50 HP & 80 to 100 ft/lbs of torque. Next time try rolling from 45 mph in 2nd gear and use the tap-tap method when racing.

Mike
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by 60nomad
1970GSX: Now I feel like a reject as you have the list of your cars below (I guess that is your signature they call it) and I didn't even see it! Duh for me! So, I looked at one in Conn. 8 months ago or so, a white one that was very original, but far from perfect and he was at $50k. I honestly thought it was worth like $35k and he wouldn't budge on price.

Anyway, very nice and cool car! Love the old muscle cars and cool cruisers to bring to local shows and gatherings and stuff but as far as driving, the e55 is like a sedative for me after tough, long days of work. People need a drink after a long day or tough week...I take the AMG for a ride!
I know what you mean. I enjoy driving the AMG more than the others.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Good run, however the 'extremely modified' 300zx was very likely not, just because a car has wide tires and coffee can only suggest the guy has a few bucks and visits PepBoys. Stock turbo Z32s are hitting 450RWHP readily these days and likely that is what you went up against. There does exist a 1100hp or so street kit as well, good for 9's. Drivability is suppose to be very good on the street though I have not personally driven any. Weight is around 3400-3500lbs depending on year/model, etc on stock cars.

But not many cars match the overall drivability and torque of the AMG though.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Thanks PetroC63. I have to experiment using the manumtic shift controls in this car for best launch.

Pearl power: I hear what you are saying, but this was no rice job. This car was a clean well reserved example with a tasteful body kit and the car had dual exhaust outlets on both sides. Very non-ricer like. Furthermore, even if it only had 450rwhp, that might be enough to pull a stock or at least challenge a stock v or 55 series Amg with the weight difference.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Great race! I've now owned all 3 cars ('08 M3, '09 C63 and '09 CTS-V).

The M3 is by far the slowest in the straights (and hardest to get speed out of), but the best handling. C63 sounded the best (NOT EVEN CLOSE), and felt the most "brute" at WOT. CTS-V, however, is the fastest in the straights. My stock (CAI only) CTS-V is faster than my C63 w/ kleemann tune...video runs prove this. I just ran a 12.301 @ 119mph in the CTS-V last week...something I don't think I could have done in the C63...at least not at that speed.

Anyway, all 3 great cars and all 3 different. Would rank them C63-1, CTS-V-1a and M3-3. Never really got into the M3, and certainly did not appreciate iDrive and all of the other crap that BMW has...the entire layout of the inside of the car was a bit bunk in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM

That's a very good review. I never had the pleasure of owning either german car, but I would rank them the same way for the same reasons. I wished the CTS sounded as good as the C63 stock. That sound is glorious!

To be perfectly honest, my short term goal is to make my car a little faster than stock M157s & M5/6s. Stock for stock I will likely get beat, but with a stage 1 under my belt I believe I should be able to edge a stock one out. Now if they are tuned I will need to be stage 2/3 to have a chance. The 2014 S-AMG's will probably require at least a stage 2 just stay close from a roll. Forget about it from a dig lol.