Stock V2 CTS-V vs Stockish E92 M3 and Extremelly modified 300zx TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: Cadillac CTS-V (V2), Chevy Cruze Past: E55k
Stock V2 CTS-V vs Stockish E92 M3 and Extremelly modified 300zx TT

Hi members:

This is my first post related to street encounters, but I figured I would share my stories since I don't race that often and these are the first real races worth posting I've had since purchasing the V sedan last fall.

First race (Last Wed) E92 M3 convertible vs. My Stock V Sedan (alone)

I was driving home minding my own business when a sick white convertible M3 with special ground effects and black rims with two guys inside started riding kind of close in hopes of getting my attention. I initially ignored them because it was quite a few cars around and not enough room to open it up safely without putting other drivers at risk. Finally the road ahead opened up with a clear stretch ahead of me, so I figured what the heck, let's see how my car performs against good competition before modding. So I moved over to the right lane and the M3 immediately even up with me in the left lane and signal for a 3 count. Knowing that I should win assuming the M3 was stock I let him get the initial hit from about 65 and I immediately stop his pull and proceeded to put about 3 car lengths by about 115ish when I let out as it was not necessary to go any faster. It was a slow but progressive pull and exactly what I thought would happen. After the race the guys in the M3 came up along my side and we exchange friendly gestures and we went on our separate ways. Overall, I was impressed by the M3, especially with it being a convertible and I can only imagine how bad a Gitani M3 would whip me in my current stock state.

Second race (Today) Extremelly modified 90's 300ZX Twin Turbo vs. My Stock V Sedan (alone)

Again, driving home I came up upon an extremelly modified 300ZX with a nasty turbo exhaust note and HUGE rear wheels. I knew this might be ugly knowing that a friend of mine has one of these beast with aftermarket turbos and other stuff pushing over 700 at the wheels, but I figured don't be a punk lol! Well immediately after I rode up along the Z rear bumper from the center lane he punched it from about an 80 roll and I immediately followed. He proceeded to put two cars on me by about 125. He slowly pulled me the way I pulled the M3. Despite the loss I was very impressed with how my car kept up considering a stage 1 or 2 would likely turn the tables when I decide to mod. I mean I was right there just getting inched away ever so slowly as the speed progressed. We then decided to go once again, this time I was right behind him and he hit it from about 70 and took it up to 135-140mph and I stayed right on him about 3-4 safely back. Neither of us was able to gain any ground either way this time. I then rode up to his window and we exchanged friendly gestures and gave each other props on our vehicles. Not that this justifies this behaviors in any way, but there was literally no one else on the road when all of this happened. Overall, I was very impressed with how the V performed (first loss) considering I was likely racing an aftermarket turbo Z. Time for some mods now.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I raced a C63 and got him by a car length from 40-120 on a dead even hit. I gave him the hit the second time and was about to run him down at about 100, but we had to shut down. That thing sounded mean.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 PM

That's an impressive win. Your car must be running strong for sure! I've never raced a C63 before, but I know they are a handful especially if they are just tuned let alone running headers. I read the new C63 will have a twin turbo 4.0 V8 that will probably make over 500 at the crank and the new SLS will have this same motor with stronger internals, with likely larger turbos and/or a higher state of tune pushing 600bhp.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Ya. I actually was pretty surprised. Getting rid of the cats really opened the car up. I'm finding a supercharger pulley next.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 AM

Make sure you get injectors and a super safe dyno tune with your pulley. What size are you thinking? Headers would make a big difference to just for ridding heat from the engine combustion and add about 35-40rwhp.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
Originally Posted by Hotsoss
Make sure you get injectors and a super safe dyno tune with your pulley. What size are you thinking? Headers would make a big difference to just for ridding heat from the engine combustion and add about 35-40rwhp.
After reading the thread about the guy in Fla., Der and his heat issue about heat exchanger etc., so I was sitting here thinking that I want headers done and I have been waiting for Bruce at TTM to get them installed for me but I know that he is busy right now. I am waiting for a return call from him so Bruce if you're out there, call me when you can.

Anyway, I have been wondering for quite some time about the cts-v. I am a CTS-V fan having one of the older ones, 2005, and I modded it enough to go a 12.81 at 114mph with bolt ons and a tune only and it handled incredibly. Problem for me on the newer ones is the room inside the car (I am 6'5" and 280lbs.) so an e55 was an order. The question is, which one is faster, the stock e55 or your stock ctsv?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM

I had TTM/ARH on my E55 and they performed quite well and sounded good with the stock mufflers. Having owned both vehicles I can positively tell you that the CTS-V is faster stock for stock. The E55 felt stronger and was more tractable from a dig than my CTS, but the CTS-V felt stronger in the upper RPMs and from a roll. A stock CTS-V is faster, but not by that much. The difference is very similiar to a non-p31 stock C63 against a E55. The E55 would be faster, but not by all that much. Also, the E55 felt stronger and more aggressively tuned where as the CTS-V power delivery is more linear and progressive in stock guise. It's definetly faster and it is aggressive, but just not as violent in a way as the E55 is which to me felt more like a big ***** American muscle car with 4.10 gears. Now when I was pulley only with the normal supporting cooling mods I would say that my E55 felt a little faster than my V due to the amount of torque a pulley E55 can make in the lower RPMs (540rwtq). A pullied only E55 generally puts down about 460-470rwhp which is what a CTS-V generally puts down stock. So a pullied only properly running E55 will likely edge a stock CTS-V. The CTS-V goes to a completely different level once the mods start. A simple stage 1 cost about 3-4k with installation consisting of a supercharger pulley, air intake, ported or larger throttle body, ported snout, larger injectors, dyno tune, Larger heat exchanger, 160 thermostat, and a couple other small miscellaneous things increase power to between 560-600rwhp/rwtq depending on pulley size and supporting mods.

Avg E.T. Range 11-11.5 @ 124-127mph with drag radials

Stage 2 - add a lower pulley only and power jumps to about 620-635 range depending on pulley combination

Avg E.T Range 10.4-11.2 @ 127-131mph with drag radials

Stage 3 - add a cam and headers and the power jumps to close to or a little above 700rwhp/rwtq depending on cam choice.

Avg E.T. Range 9.80-10.4 @135-142mph with drag radials
Now I may be a little off with my stages, but you get the basic idea here. Also, these numbers are based on a dynojet and Northeastern US geography.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
... convertible M3 with special ground effects ... two guys inside ...
Now, was the passenger blowing the driver, or was the passenger holding the wheel while the driver's face was in his lap?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Actually I forgot to mention that you was sitting on the passenger lap blowing the driver. My bad! Dude don't try to clown me like that! I have no reason to make crap up and I'm not trying to pound my chest, else I would not have never admitted taking a L. I just wanted to share my story wth other car enthusiast win or loose. The M3 was a vert and it look to be one of the many special editions or special optioned M3's offered. The ground effects could have been standard, but they looked a little different from other M3's I've seen on the road. The race was close but I won by a few lengths from about 70-115ish. End of story.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Actually I forgot to mention that you was sitting on the passenger lap blowing the driver. My bad! Dude don't try to clown me like that! I have no reason to make crap up and I'm not trying to pound my chest, else I would not have never admitted taking a L. I just wanted to share my story wth other car enthusiast win or loose. The M3 was a vert and it look to be one of the many special editions or special optioned M3's offered. The ground effects could have been standard, but they looked a little different from other M3's I've seen on the road. The race was close but I won by a few lengths from about 70-115ish. End of story.
I'm confused, who's "clowning on you" and why are you upset?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 PM

Did you read the email thread, because Denroll is obviously implying that my story is full of shi* and is using homophobic sarcasm to discredit what I said. His reply totally caught me off guard and because it was totally out of left field. Hey if he was just trying to be funny than my bad, but to me in seemed light he was calling me a liar and making a homophobic joke to further discredit what I said earlier.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM

Sorry for the typos. Sent message real quick using my iPhone.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Did you read the email thread, because Denroll is obviously implying that my story is full of shi* and is using homophobic sarcasm to discredit what I said. His reply totally caught me off guard and because it was totally out of left field. Hey if he was just trying to be funny than my bad, but to me in seemed light he was calling me a liar and making a homophobic joke to further discredit what I said earlier.
Ya Denroll's a cool dude and I can't literally speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he was just making fun of 2 dudes rolling around in a drop top M3 together. Hell my buddy and I were in his SL a couple of days ago and I jokingly told him to put the top back up because it's just not right for 2 dudes to roll around in a SL with the top down
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Good point PA Cougar. I totally read into that wrong and apologize to Denroll and the other members on this board for getting my panties in a bunch lol.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
Here is my stock e55 against my buddies slightly modded cts-v a couple weeks ago.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM

So what was the results and E.T.? I could not tell from the video?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM

'06 E55
The audio has it at the end. An 11.82 for the Caddy and a 12.36 for me.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 PM

I heard it, but I was not sure who won to decipher what times went with who. Anyway good run. What was the mph for you and your buddy?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hotsoss: I def thought that Denroll was laying into the 'other' guys not you...IMO.

Anyway, I drove a V about a year ago and it felt very agressive...I couldn't get it to get traction in 1st or second gears at all. When it started moving in like 3rd and 4th I actually would have thought that my 55 is a little stronger. I guess you kinda mentioned that it was more like I am saying but again, I thought the V was wild in first two gears (auto) but thought traction was the problem. I don't know, hard to explain. Thanks for the opinion.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I heard it, but I was not sure who won to decipher what times went with who. Anyway good run. What was the mph for you and your buddy?
119mph for the V and the vid cut off on the E55 mph.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM

'06 E55
119 for the V, 113 for me
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 PM

60Nomad: Yeah, I totally read into that wrong from Denroll and feel like a fool now lol.

In reference to your driving impressions, I kind of agree with you. The CTS-V feels strong off the line especially in sport mode, but that power is somewhat difficult to put down because the tires just spin. From my experience even being pullied the E55 was easier to launch on the street. I feel that the traction control in the E55 does a better job of allowing you to exert more power while keeping everything pointed straight even though the yellow traction control light is blinking like crazy. With the V like any high torque car you have to ease into the throttle very gradually before matting it. The E55 traction control system allows you to be a little more aggressive with the throttle.

In my opinion the mid range power seemed to feel equal, but the V just fells like it has more top end pull whereas a stock E55 would start to loose a little steam.

Keeping it real...I actually felt more confident driving the E55 because it just felt like an animal at all times. The V feels aggressive, but like I said the power delivery feels more linear. From what I understand a tune really wakes this Drive train up making it feel much more aggressive. The key advantage the V has that I really like is its handling abilities for such a heavy car. The car just hugs the turns like a much lighter car.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM

Okay, thanks 1970GSX. Your times an E.T. are in line for what these cars do stock. Whatever mods the V has (probably intake) def helped him dip in the 11s stock.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1970gsx
The audio has it at the end. An 11.82 for the Caddy and a 12.36 for me.
I never even noticed your name 1970GSX....Do you have one of those? Big big dollar cars today!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:04 PM

'06 E55
Originally Posted by 60nomad
I never even noticed your name 1970GSX....Do you have one of those? Big big dollar cars today!
Yes, I have one. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Stock V2 CTS-V vs Stockish E92 M3 and Extremelly modified 300zx TT-image.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock V2 CTS-V vs Stockish E92 M3 and Extremelly modified 300zx TT