Sponsored by:

Multiple LoJacks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Multiple LoJacks

What do you guys think about having two LoJacks on the car?? Overboard??
Old 08-26-2003, 04:07 PM
eyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no need for 2 lojacks! just get one and lower your insurance premiums. They install it in one of a few "secret" locations so you dont even know where it is..
Old 08-26-2003, 04:38 PM

E55
Given the GPS stuff and teleaid, is a Lojack even needed?
Old 08-26-2003, 04:41 PM

I was told awhile back that the GPS (hence Tele-Aid) can be overridden by simply putting the car inside a metal trailer. The GPS signal would simply be attenuated and disappear from the TeleAid system.

For $700, I think it's a good piece-of-mind, no?

I am also going to have clear-bra installed next weekend, but that's another story. I don't like rock chips, especially on a black car. The clear bra will be installed on the entire front end, a-pillar, front lights, roof line, and gas tank cover.

Originally posted by Pbglas
Given the GPS stuff and teleaid, is a Lojack even needed?
Old 08-26-2003, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i would strongly suggest getting LoJack. your dealer should give you a good deal, i believe we payed 500 for a lifetime. also, you can put foil over the antenna, and tele-aid wont work.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Am I the only one who thinks that having some one splice into the delicate electronics of an E55 is not such a great idea?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:31 PM

'14 E63S Brabus 850/2008 M5 Dinan S3(sold)
I got LoJack too----one's enough--a piece of mind thing--no problems with the electronics.

--The clear bra is great---I had mine installed 2 days after I got the car--really does a great job protecting from rock chips---not the big stuff--but the daily sand blasting from driving on freeways.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:45 AM

Hmm. I don't think it's different from having someone adding a changer, a built-in radar, or lighted sills in terms of splicing wires.

Originally posted by norb
Am I the only one who thinks that having some one splice into the delicate electronics of an E55 is not such a great idea?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
I don't know how LoJac is installed but if its that easy, then couldn't they just unplug the battery to defeat it?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
I don't know how LoJac is installed but if its that easy, then couldn't they just unplug the battery to defeat it?
no, they can put in multiple places, they dont tell the owner, or anyone. if you mean the car battery...it is not connected to it, it has its own battery. so even if the car is off, they can send the slient signal
Old 08-27-2003, 09:38 PM

Porsche 997 C2S
Originally posted by Arnee
I was told awhile back that the GPS (hence Tele-Aid) can be overridden by simply putting the car inside a metal trailer. The GPS signal would simply be attenuated and disappear from the TeleAid system.

For $700, I think it's a good piece-of-mind, no?

I am also going to have clear-bra installed next weekend, but that's another story. I don't like rock chips, especially on a black car. The clear bra will be installed on the entire front end, a-pillar, front lights, roof line, and gas tank cover.
Well, if placing the car inside a metal trailer can "stop" GPS signals from going to and from the car ... as I understand it, Lojack also uses radio signals, and as such, a metal trailer should be able to defeat that as well, no? On the other hand, if you feel it's worth it to spend $700, redundancy is always (well, nearly always) a good thing in auto-security.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:57 PM

GPS uses high frequency signals, which can easily be attenuated. Radio frequencies are much lower frequencies which contain more energy and are harder to attenuate.

Provided (and I have to confirm this) that LoJack uses lower, radio frequencies, then it will be difficult to attenuate/block.

For the sake of paranoia, if the one and only one LoJack unit fails, I guess I'm hoping that there'd be a back-up system or something.

Maybe I can just take the fact that it will fail, and then I will just get a new car instead of recovering a beat-up stolen car.

I suppose I could spend that extra $700 for a RENNtech ECU reprogram.

Originally posted by KrispyK
Well, if placing the car inside a metal trailer can "stop" GPS signals from going to and from the car ... as I understand it, Lojack also uses radio signals, and as such, a metal trailer should be able to defeat that as well, no? On the other hand, if you feel it's worth it to spend $700, redundancy is always (well, nearly always) a good thing in auto-security.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
GPS is just a signal from satellites, the gps reciever on Teleaid just does that, recieve, it transmits via analog cellular phone signals. I don't see how Lojack is any different. It its in a metal container, neither Lojack nor Teleaid will recieve the gps signals.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:58 AM

Arnee, you wouldn't happen to be in So Cal would you? I have been searching for a clear bra installer, but can't seem to get any info.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:22 AM

Smile

Yes, I am in SoCal. I found this place that does high-end cars and have done W211 E55s 2 or 3 times.

The kick is it's in San Diego. I'm driving down there in a couple of weekends to get it done. They said it should take a good half a day for everything (I want extra coverage on special places )

Anyway, here's the website: http://www.mishield.com/ and ask for Bill.

edit: This is the only place I've found that have done W211's so I'm going with them. I haven't found any other ones here in SoCal that have done W211's.

Originally posted by TMans
Arnee, you wouldn't happen to be in So Cal would you? I have been searching for a clear bra installer, but can't seem to get any info.

Last edited by Arnee; 08-28-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:38 AM

Thanks Arnee I am in that area quite a bit, so its no prob. I'll give them a call when I get back in town. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
GPS is just a signal from satellites, the gps reciever on Teleaid just does that, recieve, it transmits via analog cellular phone signals. I don't see how Lojack is any different. It its in a metal container, neither Lojack nor Teleaid will recieve the gps signals.
Lojack works like a radio homing beacon, just directional. GPS based Teleaid needs line of sight to work and cel phone triangulation systems have the occasional weak signal problems, but both can pinpoint a location.

Lojack does work in a container. It picked up a stolen car off the coast heading to South America,