Sponsored by:

Sputtering on Cold Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 W211
Sputtering on Cold Start

Seeing if anyone else has had this problem.. Its been happening more frequently and starting to get worried. When i start my car in the morning it sometimes sputters or chokes before reving up... sometimes it does it right when i start others when i put it into drive after reversing out of my driveway.

Here is a list of mods, other things i have done... if anyone has had this issue before some advice would be appreciated.

EC Tune
No Cats
Headers
X-Pipe the dumbass shop i took it to put a 2.5 inch pipe might have a leak...
Meziers Pump
EC Heat Exchanger
AFE Filters
NGK Plugs (the ones that everyone had recommend) changed about 8000 miles ago.

Ordered the Afe filter cleaner.. (could this be my problem?)

Since the tune the car has been running rich i think.. lots of fumes when i start it in the garage... lol almost passed out once.

Oh an on a cold start its been having a rough idle.. that seems to be getting worse... dunno was told our cars idle rough.

Let me know what yal think...
Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Pull a plug or all of them and check the color of the porcelain, but it sounds like a rich condition, possible tune issue or just too cold of a plug. If this car is use primarily as a grocery getter then the normal plug is good. It sounds as if you have installed a colder plug to gain some sort of safety margin as the car is beaten regular. Choked air filter is good start though. Is this issue only present with a cold start? Check with your tuner, in Texas now it should be in the 80's yes which is a lot different then -20 startup as we have here in Canada. Good luck and let us know the outcome.