3.06 Gear install plus TCU is a no go for me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 GLS 63 AMG, '08 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by adianaty

My guess is Tremek has a bad TCU.
Returning this one and getting another to try, what's the harm?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Originally Posted by Tremek
Returning this one and getting another to try, what's the harm?
Where did you get it from since it may have never been coded which is a completely different problem...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Yes the TCU carries the VIN in the eeprom, so does the audio system. Last I remember just because it is in the audio system and I replaced it with another it didn't mean that I couldn't start the car. Key place to look is the startup checks for ignition in the ME. Once you find that HEX feel free to report back what you found and I will bet you a Bologna sandwich that there is no VIN specific checks done on the TCU for startup at least on my 2006 E55 car. Maybe there are exceptions but I wouldn't call what you have as definitive proof given my results and those from others. Jerry from EC at one point was running my TCU out of my 2006 in his car to make sure the tune was right and he didn't change VIN's in it to make it work. I'm simply providing my real world experience with this since I went ahead and spent my own money on proving it. Feel free not to believe it.

My guess is Tremek has a bad TCU.

yes, it is possible that the VIN string in the TCu is not effectively used by the start check.
But MB software have become more stringent with the time.

for sure we can say that having the correct VIN written in the TCu is NOT a sufficient conditon for having a starting car ... and I have tested so many different supposedly corrected TCU that didn't work even with the VIN coded..

a new supposition: maybe Tremek's TCU is just a badly tuned one ?!

Last edited by dyno; 07-16-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Originally Posted by dyno
yes, it is possible that the VIN string in the TCu is not effectively used by the start check.
But MB software have become more stringent with the time.

for sure we can say that having the correct VIN written in the TCu is NOT a sufficient conditon for having a starting car ... and I have tested so many different supposedly corrected TCU that didn't work even with the VIN coded..

a new supposition: maybe Tremek's TCU is just a badly tuned one ?!
Totally agree since I've had bad coding as well. Checksums must not be automatically checked on the tcu as they are with the ecu.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Totally agree since I've had bad coding as well. Checksums must not be automatically checked on the tcu as they are with the ecu.

Adianaty:

no, "Checksum" check is something different.
it concerns the check of the sum of cells within each eprom, and it is ALWAYS performed.
If the TCU has been badly tuned and the checksum is wrong, the car will NOT start.
.. I bet myself a Porter Ranch sandwitch this time with you

If the replaced TCU has not been badly tuned and still carries a valid checksum, then it WILL start .
(people/"tuners" who have been trying using the correction checksum algorithm OLS271 know the pain I am referring to, here ..)

.. now I thought at it more attentively and I remember precisely that you can even Start and Drive the car with NO TCU installed at all ! (car works obviously in emergency mode that is a tighter mode than just limp mode, only in second gear, hard steering wheel and maybe no ABS).

so, CAR STARTS with ANY ORIGINAL TCU and/or with any correclty tuned TCU that still carries a valid checksum, even if the VIN string is different.
because the VIN coding of the TCU is not effectively tied to the anti-theft system, at least in these cars.

beware: START is one thing. Correct functioning is another.

Last edited by dyno; 07-16-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Update: sent the TCU off to Eurocharged, lets see what happens - at least this is just to see if its dead or can work at all and isn't a test of gears!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 PM

I bring good news! Instead of returning the TCU I bought on Ebay, I sent it (not the stock TCU) to Eurocharged, got it back last night (fast shipping, thanks Eurocharged guys!) - and it works! This is the same TCU that when I originally plugged it into my car, the car wouldn't even crank. Now, however - ESP off burnouts does work (and of course the TCU tune works too!)

So in summary, the 1432 TCU that did not work just plug-and-play now does work after Eurocharged reprogrammed it. Would love to learn more about what they did on it (maybe VIN-specific fields or something) to make it just "work".
Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
This is what happened to me:

Bought a spare TCU and sent it off for programming for my 3.06 gear swap to EC. Got it back, car cranked fine but went into limp stating the above issues in my first post. The car sat for a while trying to figure this all out.

I then sent off my original TCU that came with the car, and had a EC TCU tune on it when I had the stock 2.65 back there, up to Speed Driven. They flashed it back to stock and just calibrated it for the 3.06. I got it back and threw it in the car, car would not even crank. I took that one back out and sent it back to Speeddriven, still waiting to get it back.

I then did some research, and bought a clk55 amg tcu and it worked with my 3.06 gear swap right away. I bought it off ebay, and threw it in the car, drove around like that for a month. I did no coding to anything, simply bought it off ebay, and threw it in the car.

However, when I put it back on the dyno, both my HP/TQ was WAY down. So I took that one out and sent it to Andy of MHP. Got it back, threw it in the car, and the gear cal worked along with my numbers on the dyno being back to where they were before the gear swap and cal.

Last edited by chawkins2001; 07-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
This is what happened to me:

Bought a spare TCU and sent it off for programming for my 3.06 gear swap to EC. Got it back, car cranked fine but went into limp stating the above issues in my first post. The car sat for a while trying to figure this all out.

I then sent off my original TCU that came with the car, and had a EC TCU tune on it when I had the stock 2.65 back there, up to Speed Driven. They flashed it back to stock and just calibrated it for the 3.06. I got it back and threw it in the car, car would not even crank. I took that one back out and sent it back to Speeddriven, still waiting to get it back.

I then did some research, and bought a clk55 amg tcu and it worked with my 3.06 gear swap right away. I bought it off ebay, and threw it in the car, drove around like that for a month.

However, when I put it back on the dyno, both my HP/TQ was WAY down. So I took that one out and sent it to Andy of MHP. Got it back, threw it in the car, and the gear cal worked along with my numbers on the dyno being back to where they were before the gear swap and cal.
Craig were you able to tell from logs why the power was actually down?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by PACougar
Craig were you able to tell from logs why the power was actually down?
The tq management in a N/A M113 TCU is way different and I felt it so I decided to put it on the dyno. The numbers were much much lower when we pulled the car. I drove around like that until I got the MHP TCU, threw that in the car, and back on the dyno, nothing else changed, and they jumped back up to where they were before the whole swap ordeal..
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Makes sense, TQ management was just cutting the power. Gotta love that bypass valve.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tremek
I bring good news! Instead of returning the TCU I bought on Ebay, I sent it (not the stock TCU) to Eurocharged, got it back last night (fast shipping, thanks Eurocharged guys!) - and it works! This is the same TCU that when I originally plugged it into my car, the car wouldn't even crank. Now, however - ESP off burnouts does work (and of course the TCU tune works too!)

So in summary, the 1432 TCU that did not work just plug-and-play now does work after Eurocharged reprogrammed it. Would love to learn more about what they did on it (maybe VIN-specific fields or something) to make it just "work".
good info.
even if we don't know what EC did on your TCU ( whether they just corrected the wrong checksum OR they loaded an original un-corrupted 1432 file OR they loaded their usual tuned file)
at least, your statement that burnouts is now working, clears that Burnouts capability is just TCU related and not depending on ESP .
Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by dyno
good info.
even if we don't know what EC did on your TCU ( whether they just corrected the wrong checksum OR they loaded an original un-corrupted 1432 file OR they loaded their usual tuned file)
at least, your statement that burnouts is now working, clears that Burnouts capability is just TCU related and not depending on ESP .
Yes, exactly my thoughts too!