Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered and Camber wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Almost all true, yes camber will get worst, but that can be corrected in general.

Decreased suspension travel does not make it worse unless you are bottoming out, in cases where cars are very very low. Simply lowering the car will not give you amazing handling by any means. But it will give you a noticeable feel.

Most car's are already equipped with "coil-overs" the coil over shock setup.
What most are upgrading to is adjustable coil-overs, or adjustable spring perch for height and adjustable shock for rebound on some cars for rear suspensions.

I miss my Ohlins from my S4, I wish Ohlins would make a setup for our car.
Or even my setup on my Subaru from back in the days. Full sway bars, cross bars, end links, subframe, adjustable coil-overs, adjustable arms. Just not much option for our E's.

Originally Posted by cij911
Lowering the car at all will make the camber worse, so it just depends on how poorly you want the tires to wear.

Also, lowering the car does not necessarily make the car handle better and in fact in many cases it makes it worse (as you have decreased the suspension travel). If you want the car to handle great and like it dropped, then you should get coilovers.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:30 PM

04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
I didn't exactly buy this car to road race or autocross, so I don't see why people are saying the airmatic is "not good enough". If you want a race car, you'd probably be better off picking many other cars than a 4000+lb four door luxury vehicle.

That said, I kept up with a modified STI up and down the Tail of the Dragon on almost-bald 18s. That's good enough for me.

I think the main draw in addressing camber for folks here, is tire life. If you can get the dropped look without roasting through tires every 10k, you're set.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 AM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
We all have needs that differ from each other. Money, space, feel and whatever it may be.
It's completely fine if you find the airmatic works for you. For modders who like the car but want to improve upon it, the airmatic is not good enough. I could have bought a c63, but it's not big enough for my needs. So I chose the e63 as a personal preference. Easy to say, why put a front lip, or do 63 conversion bumpers, or rims if all of it "is good enough"

Also camber is not really the main culprit, when the very inside always sidewall wears down, especially when it's only in the -2. Most of the time it's toe, toe causes the tires to have a rubbing against the motion, causing the quick tire wear. Where as camber wear will not wear down as fast or as pronounced. A possitive toe for rwd car is good in some cases depending on suspension setup. Camber is good for cornering, but bad for people who do a lot of highway miles.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by pnoyworx
We all have needs that differ from each other. Money, space, feel and whatever it may be.
It's completely fine if you find the airmatic works for you. For modders who like the car but want to improve upon it, the airmatic is not good enough. I could have bought a c63, but it's not big enough for my needs. So I chose the e63 as a personal preference. Easy to say, why put a front lip, or do 63 conversion bumpers, or rims if all of it "is good enough"

Also camber is not really the main culprit, when the very inside always sidewall wears down, especially when it's only in the -2. Most of the time it's toe, toe causes the tires to have a rubbing against the motion, causing the quick tire wear. Where as camber wear will not wear down as fast or as pronounced. A possitive toe for rwd car is good in some cases depending on suspension setup. Camber is good for cornering, but bad for people who do a lot of highway miles.
If it were toe, you'd be experiencing feathering, which makes the inner edge looks like it's got small chunks or strands torn away. I haven't seen anything of the sort on my own car, at least. Therefore, camber.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Someone have a good source on the front crash bolts?
thanks,
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Great news, one of the engineers from SPC replied to me. They are currently working on a rear camber kit for the 2003-2009 E-Class. It seems they will be making offset bushings, prototypes are in testing and they hope to be for sale towards the end of summer.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Great news, one of the engineers from SPC replied to me. They are currently working on a rear camber kit for the 2003-2009 E-Class. It seems they will be making offset bushings, prototypes are in testing and they hope to be for sale towards the end of summer.
That is great news. I've used SPC camber arms (and toe bolts) in the past, and they've been great. Let's hope they don't feel the need to up the price due to the target audience.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
So I'm going back to stock till I get this sorted. I put my stocks back on, don't want to risk a tire blow out with my kids in the car.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Any updates?

I am running lowered with about 2.3* and 2.5* of negative camber up front and by tires are corded after 1500 miles.... the rears have just as much negative camber so I suspect they'll be toasted soon as well.

I've got a complete set of KMAC bushings coming in soon (Front and Rear), but in the meantime I'm putting the car back up to stock height and putting the factory alignment back on the car.... burning up $1000 in tires every couple thousand miles just to get "the look" is totally not worth it to me.

Unfortunately, based on my own measurements and data there is no possible way to set the alignment up correctly at two different ride heights using the ELM. One of them can be made perfect, but the other one will have way too much toe (either in or out) and the camber will change far too much....

Bummer.

-G
Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
According to the shop I go to, when we hit speeds at 70 the car drops a few more. I am not sure of the value, but when the car drops lower at speeds over 70mph the camber will change. So if factory is -2+, at 70mph+ that camber value could be well over -3. So my guess is that if we can get camber set to -1 while lowered then we can expect that when the car lowers itself, the value of the camber should be around just -2. I will try this if it is possible.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pnoyworx
According to the shop I go to, when we hit speeds at 70 the car drops a few more. I am not sure of the value, but when the car drops lower at speeds over 70mph the camber will change. So if factory is -2+, at 70mph+ that camber value could be well over -3. So my guess is that if we can get camber set to -1 while lowered then we can expect that when the car lowers itself, the value of the camber should be around just -2. I will try this if it is possible.
That is the dynamic lowering feature....

Shardul commented somewhere on MBW that it is possible to disable that feature in STAR. I most DEFINITELY want to do that as well on my car.... having the suspension drop an additional 10-15mm at speed is sure to change the alignment in a significant way. I'd prefer to know that the settings I get on the alignment rack are the ones I'll continue to have "at speed" as well.

If anyone knows exactly how to do this in STAR please post up the steps... that would help a LOT of people here.

Link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/5682555-post3.html

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 07-31-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: found the Shardul post...
Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
If stock settings don't ruin the front tires, then I don't see an issue with setting it to factory specs on a lowered car and allowing the dynamic lowering feature to do it's thing.

On a side note, KMAC bushings for the front should be the next group buy around here. I'd be in on that....
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HeissRod
If stock settings don't ruin the front tires, then I don't see an issue with setting it to factory specs on a lowered car and allowing the dynamic lowering feature to do it's thing.

On a side note, KMAC bushings for the front should be the next group buy around here. I'd be in on that....

From what I've seen on my last round of experiments on the alignment rack, even small changes in ride height change the toe-in value quite a bit... a setting that is "perfect" standing still, will be quite a bit different as the car lowers itself at highway speeds.

I've been speaking with Kevin at K-MAC quite a bit lately. My guess is that he'd consider a group buy now that he's a vendor here.

-G
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregMB
I've been speaking with Kevin at K-MAC quite a bit lately. My guess is that he'd consider a group buy now that he's a vendor here.

-G
Get him to start one!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
+1 for a group buy on Kmac!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
You know...

I had an idea a while back on an inexpensive way to correct the front camber, but sold my car before I could investigate it. If anyone wants to hear my idea, PM me.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by justinwrock
You know...

I had an idea a while back on an inexpensive way to correct the front camber, but sold my car before I could investigate it. If anyone wants to hear my idea, PM me.

You were supposed to PM me that info a while ago.....

Let's hear it!

-G
Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by justinwrock
You know...

This is not the first time I've seen you mention that someone PM you about this. Why is it a secret that must be PMed?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregMB

-G
Did you get a chance to ask him?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by HeissRod

Lowered and balanced with STAR + KMAC's on the front suspension and Evosport toe-links on the rear. All alignment done after lowering.

If you have lowered your car (with STAR) beyond the dynamic lowering limits, the car will not lower itself beyond those limits. Accordingly, the alignment settings will remain constant. Just replaced Nitto's with 40K+ miles with Yokohama Advan V105's. Rear Nittios had slightly more wear on the inside due to -2 deg camber. FWIW
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63
Originally Posted by AgSilver
Lowered and balanced with STAR + KMAC's on the front suspension and Evosport toe-links on the rear. All alignment done after lowering.

If you have lowered your car (with STAR) beyond the dynamic lowering limits, the car will not lower itself beyond those limits. Accordingly, the alignment settings will remain constant. Just replaced Nitto's with 40K+ miles with Yokohama Advan V105's. Rear Nittios had slightly more wear on the inside due to -2 deg camber. FWIW
You guys should search the forum for members experiences with the KMAC bushings...
Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FromM3toAMG
You guys should search the forum for members experiences with the KMAC bushings...
Those are experiences with the rear, which supposedly KMAC has updated to cure the issue. I haven't seen any bad experiences with the front bushings, which is what I want.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by FromM3toAMG
Please yourselves. Perhaps my setup works so well only because it's protected by The Force. Pay no attention to those pesky details.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Just an update, I called SPC today, and they said they are waiting for the first shipment of rear camber bushings to arrive, and they should be for sale in a few weeks. They have no plans to make anything for the front. I raised the front of my car slightly, and the tires are wearing good so far. I just put a new set of 4 conti's all the way around, and can already see the inside rear are wearing more than the outside...a combination of too much negative camber, and the power I'm putting down The new wheel/tire setup is hooking good on the street, getting the camber closer to zero will help even more. After a short drive you can feel the inside rear tread getting hot while the outside tread is ambient temp...from my track days that means too much camber.