Sponsored by:

CLS55 Weistec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
The fittings in the back of the manifold are 1/2 npt, so yes a hard 90' could easily be installed. I don't think that's going to help Steve however because his coolant hoses are tight but not kinked. The pad on the firewall is soft as well.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
I will eventually replace those rubber-hose 90's with AN fittings, but I double/triple checked that they are NOT kinked and have verified flow visually by running the pump and looping the hose into my tank. It's less than ideal the way it's designed, but it's the way Weistec specifies to hook it up.
I'm experimenting with replacing the Johnson with an 010 to get more flow across the core, but realize that too much flow/pressure will negatively effect the heat exchange if the water doesn't have enough time in the core.
By the end of the weekend, I will have more data, including a new tune.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K55
Originally Posted by MindBend
I will eventually replace those rubber-hose 90's with AN fittings, but I double/triple checked that they are NOT kinked and have verified flow visually by running the pump and looping the hose into my tank. It's less than ideal the way it's designed, but it's the way Weistec specifies to hook it up.
I'm experimenting with replacing the Johnson with an 010 to get more flow across the core, but realize that too much flow/pressure will negatively effect the heat exchange if the water doesn't have enough time in the core.
By the end of the weekend, I will have more data, including a new tune.
My concern is that over time as the lines heat and cool and heat and cool they will start to bend more and start to restrict the water flow. A hard 90 degree bend on a straight line cant be good for flow. I would start there even if the lines appear to be moving the water properly.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 SL65, '13 FX4 Eco
Grats on getting this thing all put together! Looks great.

I would start with the intake on this thing and get it down to the inlets in the grill for more of a ram air effect. I had put a custom cold air intake on my car that just sat on the engine and there was a noticeable power loss. It sounded great but had slower ETs and traps with it on from sucking in all the hot air. Even on cold 40 degree nights it was still noticeably slower.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're stuck with a hard 19' bend there regardless, and if you want to split hairs the metal 90' fittings will be smaller internally than the rubber hose ends. I agree that eventually way down the road that could be an issue but he's more than fine with that for now.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM

K55
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
You're stuck with a hard 19' bend there regardless, and if you want to split hairs the metal 90' fittings will be smaller internally than the rubber hose ends. I agree that eventually way down the road that could be an issue but he's more than fine with that for now.
I think he mentioned -AN Fittings which are radius bends I don't think they are smaller internally, but that's a good point.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh yeah yould definitely want to use AN stuff. I was just noting that the ID of the tube on a 90' radius for a #12 AN fitting he'd want to use is .600 while the ID of the rubber hose is .750. Either will work fine, I'm personally using AN hoses on the back of mine basically for looks.

The ID of the tubes on the inside of the Weistec manifold that connect the exterior hoses to the internal core is smaller still @.535

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 05-25-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 AM

K55
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Oh yeah yould definitely want to use AN stuff. I was just noting that the ID of the tube on a 90' radius for a #12 AN fitting he'd want to use is .600 while the ID of the rubber hose is .750. Either will work fine, I'm personally using AN hoses on the back of mine basically for looks.

The ID of the tubes on the inside of the Weistec manifold that connect the exterior hoses to the internal core is smaller still @.535
This material may also help protect the feed and return lines against engine heat as well.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/109...re_Sleeve.html

Fiberglass High Temperature Sleeve -- Silicone rubber coated fiberglass sleeve protects hoses, cables and wires from molten metal splash, high heat hazards and occasional exposure to flame, in steel plants,glass plants, foundries, cutting and welding shops and wherever hoses, cables and wires may be exposed to high heat or occasional flame. Fire Sleeve also may be used to insulate your race cars plumbing system.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Updates???

I know you have info....spill it lol!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 PM

'05 E55
Yes. Car is running great!! I'll post a complete update with pix as soon as get a few.
She pulls like a banshee now.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Yes. Car is running great!! I'll post a complete update with pix as soon as get a few.
She pulls like a banshee now.
Nice! How are your IATs now?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 PM

'05 E55
Put a trunk tank in and now they're doing much better. I've been doing some logging and will post some more scientific data soon. Thx
Old 06-10-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
Nice! How are your IATs now?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Put a trunk tank in and now they're doing much better. I've been doing some logging and will post some more scientific data soon. Thx
That's what we have to do to the stock sc, since it creates too much heat.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 03 e46 M3 (sold), 05 E55 (build is on), 03 Escalade (going to sell)
So, even after upgrading to the "more efficient" supercharger you have to add the same upgraded cooling system as you do with the stock supercharger If thats true that that kinda sucks.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Originally Posted by pas6201
So, even after upgrading to the "more efficient" supercharger you have to add the same upgraded cooling system as you do with the stock supercharger If thats true that that kinda sucks.
^This^
Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think that's pretty much a way of life when running these types of superchargers...
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 AM

'05 E55
I was disappointed too until I considered the facts:
  • the intercooler still sits right on top of a heater.
  • at a given boost pressure, the Weistec is compressing a LOT more air into the same space. Compressing=heat.
  • Those Krauts seemed happy with higher IAT's on the stock unit in favor of consistency (ie. using engine coolant) so just need to tune for it.
  • The stock IAT sensor sits in an out-of-way area on the Weistec and is reading a bit higher than actual temps and actual temp is subject to some conductive readings/ (confirmed by Weistec--apparently they did some testing with REAL temp sensors and each port to see actual).

My cruising temps are appx 110-115 and soar to a blistering 120-125 at WOT.
A shot of meth cures all!

I have been running a larger pulley to be conservative and the beast feels great. I'm gonna switch out to the smaller (Weistec "standard") one soon as see what I get. I have a multitude of new logging on the car: water temp in and out of IC, air temps before TB, wideband on each bank, EGT, and better/faster MAP sensor. With more visibility, I can make logical, scientific conclusions based on fact, not speculation.

I'm in the midst of a custom/redesigned larger H/E up front to see if I can lower temps and/or remove heat from the system during cruising. When not wailing on it much, I don't see why the water temps can't be very close to ambient.

Last edited by MindBend; 06-12-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 AM

'05 E55
A butt-dyno comment about the performance: even with the larger pulley (I'm running a 62.5mm, not the 56mm that most are running) resulting in appx 12PSI, it doesn't seem to have the same fast/low-end torque on the stock system (compared to my old E with Kleemann tune, headers, pulley) but once it wakes-up, it pulls CRAZY hard the whole way to the top. I was able to horrify and unsuspecting C6 that tried to do a right lane pass. I am sure he went to Googling when he got home.

As soon as I get some time, got more pix, info and data logs to post.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Where did you place the meth nozzle on the weiseytec?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
I was disappointed too until I considered the facts:
  • the intercooler still sits right on top of a heater.
  • at a given boost pressure, the Weistec is compressing a LOT more air into the same space. Compressing=heat.
  • Those Krauts seemed happy with higher IAT's on the stock unit in favor of consistency (ie. using engine coolant) so just need to tune for it.
  • The stock IAT sensor sits in an out-of-way area on the Weistec and is reading a bit higher than actual temps and actual temp is subject to some conductive readings/ (confirmed by Weistec--apparently they did some testing with REAL temp sensors and each port to see actual).

My cruising temps are appx 110-115 and soar to a blistering 120-125 at WOT.
A shot of meth cures all!

I have been running a larger pulley to be conservative and the beast feels great. I'm gonna switch out to the smaller (Weistec "standard") one soon as see what I get. I have a multitude of new logging on the car: water temp in and out of IC, air temps before TB, wideband on each bank, EGT, and better/faster MAP sensor. With more visibility, I can make logical, scientific conclusions based on fact, not speculation.

I'm in the midst of a custom/redesigned larger H/E up front to see if I can lower temps and/or remove heat from the system during cruising. When not wailing on it much, I don't see why the water temps can't be very close to ambient.
So you had to upgrade cooling system, add trunk tank, and meth for this to work?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 AM

'05 E55
I guess it depends on what you mean by, "for this to work". Splitting the cooling and using a small BMW PS reservoir was not enough, for me. I was seeing IAT's similar to stock systems at WOT (in the neighborhood of 150).

That didn't satisfy me since I think 150-ish is where I need to lift my foot. With a trunk tank, I am able to stay under that (never did any really long blasts) but I want meth for the added insurance and to keep my timing advanced. I've noted that on the tune I have (I asked for CONSERVATIVE) the timing is at nearly 1/2 of timing-tables with IAT's of 155. Is this bad, I don't think so--safe is good, for me.

It was more than I felt like messing with initially, but having a LONG history of forced induction cars, you gotta do what you gotta do. On previous cars, I had to upgrade radiators, intakes, intercoolers, piping, add extra fuel/pumps/regulators, gaskets, stronger apex seals and water seals on my rotary rockets, etc.

So, for a nominal extra expense (and sweat) I have a system that appears to be happy, makes power, and should be reliable: temps are good, A/F is good, tires make lots of white smoke. My goals are NOT to make 1/4 mile passes, but rather to have a reliable road-car that I can take to the road-course a few times a year, pi$$ and moan about the car pushing like a pig and brakes fading, but not overheat and go home happy.

Disclaimer before asked: I have no affiliation, association, or love affair with Weistec other than having met them once. So far, they've been communicative, accommodating and reasonable with me. I have been creeping-up on my successful install and have not totally arrived. I expect to find more power as I address things one-by-one, data-log a lot, and methodically optimize the system to my car/environment. If I blow it up, maybe I'll sing another tune! LOL!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
WE NEED VIDS!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
I guess it depends on what you mean by, "for this to work". Splitting the cooling and using a small BMW PS reservoir was not enough, for me. I was seeing IAT's similar to stock systems at WOT (in the neighborhood of 150).

That didn't satisfy me since I think 150-ish is where I need to lift my foot. With a trunk tank, I am able to stay under that (never did any really long blasts) but I want meth for the added insurance and to keep my timing advanced. I've noted that on the tune I have (I asked for CONSERVATIVE) the timing is at nearly 1/2 of timing-tables with IAT's of 155. Is this bad, I don't think so--safe is good, for me.

It was more than I felt like messing with initially, but having a LONG history of forced induction cars, you gotta do what you gotta do. On previous cars, I had to upgrade radiators, intakes, intercoolers, piping, add extra fuel/pumps/regulators, gaskets, stronger apex seals and water seals on my rotary rockets, etc.

So, for a nominal extra expense (and sweat) I have a system that appears to be happy, makes power, and should be reliable: temps are good, A/F is good, tires make lots of white smoke. My goals are NOT to make 1/4 mile passes, but rather to have a reliable road-car that I can take to the road-course a few times a year, pi$$ and moan about the car pushing like a pig and brakes fading, but not overheat and go home happy.

Disclaimer before asked: I have no affiliation, association, or love affair with Weistec other than having met them once. So far, they've been communicative, accommodating and reasonable with me. I have been creeping-up on my successful install and have not totally arrived. I expect to find more power as I address things one-by-one, data-log a lot, and methodically optimize the system to my car/environment. If I blow it up, maybe I'll sing another tune! LOL!
Okay, so how much more cooling are you going to need when (if) you install the standard size pulley on the sc?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
WE NEED VIDS!

You are always so much excited eheheheheh I like that at least one is speak

I want to see Vid VS TT E63/CLS63

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CLS55 Weistec