Sponsored by:

Graphic throttle body info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
me and my buddy Jamy have had our installs 82mm and cars are beast no issues at all no codes nothing...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
I have front cat delete. I deleted with star.

I think we are hitting load v/s throttle threasholds that are not in the tune. Think about this. If the throttle is supposed to be 18% at a given load range and we are achieving that load at 12 % throttle- the ecu may not have that duty cycle built into the map and available to tell the injectors to open enough.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by DonnieD
I have front cat delete. I deleted with star.

I think we are hitting load v/s throttle threasholds that are not in the tune. Think about this. If the throttle is supposed to be 18% at a given load range and we are achieving that load at 12 % throttle- the ecu may not have that duty cycle built into the map and available to tell the injectors to open enough.
I understand your thinking, but if that was the case it shouldn't stay that way once you leave that load range.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
13 997 turbo s,07 G55,58 apache
MY 82 TB

Originally Posted by DonnieD
I am writing this article as a continuation of the thread about the EC tune and 550 injectors coupled with an 82 mm throttle-body causing erratic idol and running conditions.

The engine runs perfectly most of the time however it does run erratically after a long run at extremely light throttle and then trying to re-accelerate. When this occurs the engine runs extremely Lean to the point it will backfire buck and pop. At times when pulling up to a red light at idle it will do the same thing.

At first I thought this was a result of the 550 injectors causing a rich overall mixture and the computer compensating for it. So i reinstalled the stock injectors and has Jerry from eurocharged send me a new tune. It displayed the exact same drivability issues.

I then contacted other industry pros to help out. One led me down the path of the throttle body and gave me a good argument. Since NO 112-113 engine ever came with an 82mm TB, the calibration just isn't there. I think this is very well the case.

I took apart a stock TB and an 82 to measure a few things. Here is what i found!

The gear set and stepper motors are identical in every way. The sweepers are slightly different in the resistance value. I am going to try a set of resistors to get an identical setup to stock to see if that is the problem. Ill let u guys know.

I had a new 82 mm Merc TB from Modern horsepower, My shop had to open and change wires around, Then was all good I have ec tune, But factory inj. Hope helps.I can call them in am and see if they did anything else to make it work if you like?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 PM

13 997 turbo s,07 G55,58 apache
HICCUP

Originally Posted by bstudey01
I spoke too soon. Just took the car out to find some hills and bamm!! Actually was only doing about 65 going up the hill and felt the slight hiccup stft's maxed. I knew it was too good to be true. Question for others that are having this exact issue, do you guys also get a hiccup once and a while at lower speeds upon light throttle application. I do notice it sometimes around town at about 30 when I press lightly on the gas. No, it is not the s/c engaging and it feels almost identical to the one on the highway but it doesn't cause the stfts to go out of whack or throw the code. Just thinking out loud. Anybody swap the cap from a 74 to theirs yet? I may try this, seems like it shouldn't be too difficult
I have hiccup, going on dyno and tune next week gonna try and get rid of it. Mine was there when car was factory. Now with mods seems a little worse
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by SLOWCAR930
I have hiccup, going on dyno and tune next week gonna try and get rid of it. Mine was there when car was factory. Now with mods seems a little worse
Hey what kind of hiccups are you experiencing??
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Berti have you made any highway trips with yours yet, in the 70mph cruising range that the others are reporting? Going to install mine in a few weeks and getting nervous.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
I have 550 injectors, EC 82mm TB but OE tune and I dont have any issues like this at all . could it be some tweak in the tune itself ?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Berti have you made any highway trips with yours yet, in the 70mph cruising range that the others are reporting? Going to install mine in a few weeks and getting nervous.
Yah alot... In fact just earlier today on a bridge open road did 135 and just wanted to goooo.. what should I have experienced??
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
Have 82mm on mine with my Weistec. During idle in burps a bit on occassion, but ECU seems to quickly correct as it does closed-loop math. Seems to be more severe after a battery disconnect, etc as the ECU relearns. (could just be coincidence).
Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 AM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon
82mm TB was the first mod I had fitted in my car, it was then driven to another tuner to fit a crank pulley, decat and tune. The tuner called me that on the way to his workshop he got a CEL and the same B28 pressure sensor error, it happened ever since.
I have had new map sensor, new wiring to map sensor the TB & bypass TB, 3 TB's, 2 different intakes & pretty much every "fix" that people have suggested.
I have had a couple of times when it has happened at low speeds (less than 40) but 90% of the time it is around 80mph cruising and then slight uphill.
If I gun it or accelerate no problem, I have taken the car to 180's several times at full WOT and no issue and can drive for hundreds of miles at less than 70 without issue.

Last edited by SavMan; 06-06-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:32 AM

'05 E55
180's!! (is that MPH or KPH?)
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SavMan
82mm TB was the first mod I had fitted in my car, it was then driven to another tuner to fit a crank pulley, decat and tune. The tuner called me that on the way to his workshop he got a CEL and the same B28 pressure sensor error, it happened ever since.
I have had new map sensor, new wiring to map sensor the TB & bypass TB, 3 TB's, 2 different intakes & pretty much every "fix" that people have suggested.
I have had a couple of times when it has happened at low speeds (less than 40) but 90% of the time it is around 80mph cruising and then slight uphill.
If I gun it or accelerate now problem, I have taken the car to 180's several times at full WOT and no issue and can drive for hundreds of miles at less than 70 without issue.
Sounds like you have tried almost all options. Which tuners have you tried, not to start a controversy, would just like to know. Also have you tried swapping the caps from a 74 to the 82?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 AM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by MindBend
180's!! (is that MPH or KPH?)
MPH
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 AM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by bstudey01
Sounds like you have tried almost all options. Which tuners have you tried, not to start a controversy, would just like to know. Also have you tried swapping the caps from a 74 to the 82?
2 UK tuners and I am now with EC

Interestingly it happens less with the EC map than the previous 2

Not tried swapping the caps
Old 06-06-2013, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Swapping parts isn't going to fix this problem, it's a tuning problem and I suspect it has everything to do with throttle percentage and map pressure triggering a conflict in the ECU under closed loop operation. That's why once you go beyond a certain size TB it seems to cause the problem. The bigger a TB the lower the throttle percentage at a given load. Of course knowing how finicky MB's ECU's can be car to car and year by year, I think that's why some people have it happen and others don't.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 PM

E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Originally Posted by PACougar
Swapping parts isn't going to fix this problem, it's a tuning problem and I suspect it has everything to do with throttle percentage and map pressure triggering a conflict in the ECU under closed loop operation. That's why once you go beyond a certain size TB it seems to cause the problem. The bigger a TB the lower the throttle percentage at a given load. Of course knowing how finicky MB's ECU's can be car to car and year by year, I think that's why some people have it happen and others don't.
PACougar is on to something here. I have a couple of things in mind that I'm going to try and can report back after. I agree that it is tune related especially due to the transition between closed and open loop.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon
I looked at that some time ago as I had the same thought, logged a ton of data and not once did it happen during transition. It is always when in closed loop.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55

You're on the right track trying to find the commonalities between your car and others which are experiencing similar problems.
However, I doubt the throttle body per say is the issue. None the less, I tested my stock and 82mm t/b today. Stock was .973 ohm and the 82mm was 1.009.
No issues with mine. Oetune if that becomes relevant.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 PM

I looked at that some time ago as I had the same thought, logged a ton of data and not once did it happen during transition. It is always when in closed loop.
Out of curiosity how did you determine if it was in open or closed loop?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM

2004 E55K AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by adianaty
Out of curiosity how did you determine if it was in open or closed loop?
Log fuel system status, the AEM one I have calls it Fuel OL
Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 AM

Log fuel system status, the AEM one I have calls it Fuel OL
Thanks Savman, logged it and in my car I can confirm its happening closed loop as well and not in the transitions.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Savman, logged it and in my car I can confirm its happening closed loop as well and not in the transitions.
I wonder if there is a threshold being passed under closed loop, it always happens after it's been static for a while in the load range where it occurs.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 AM

Very well could be. I think Savman has it right that the parameters coming in from the sensors don't exist on the map and the car goes into this unrecoverable mode that only gets "reset" with a key cycle. It wouldn't surprise me that these are not readily available as a damos and are hex coded to keep the processing duty cycle down. Trouble shooting and finding that would take some serious work. I'll try and do some more research on the Bosch ME to see if there is a place to look since my guess is that if this was an easy fix, the tuners would have accommodated it already...Time to talk to tuners outside of the Benz world that are familiar with the Bosch ME strategy to get more insight.

Anyone know of another forced induction speed density car that uses the Bosch ME? Everyone I can think of uses a MAF system.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very well could be. I think Savman has it right that the parameters coming in from the sensors don't exist on the map and the car goes into this unrecoverable mode that only gets "reset" with a key cycle. It wouldn't surprise me that these are not readily available as a damos and are hex coded to keep the processing duty cycle down. Trouble shooting and finding that would take some serious work. I'll try and do some more research on the Bosch ME to see if there is a place to look since my guess is that if this was an easy fix, the tuners would have accommodated it already...Time to talk to tuners outside of the Benz world that are familiar with the Bosch ME strategy to get more insight.

Anyone know of another forced induction speed density car that uses the Bosch ME? Everyone I can think of uses a MAF system.
Plus you need to find time to learn German

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Graphic throttle body info