Sponsored by:

Airmatic Suspension Issues 2005 E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Airmatic Suspension Issues 2005 E55 AMG

I have an E55 AMG and think I have suspension issues. I have noticed that my car sometimes doesn't automatically lower when I turn it off and lock it (when I had just drove in comfort mode or if the car was in the raised position). From what I understand the car should lower when you cut the car off after you're just driven in comfort suspension or if the car was raised in order to relieve tension.

I also noticed the car doesn't lower when in sport suspension mode 2. It will raise when I press the button to raise the car but it will only lower twice from that position (if I press the button again to take off the mode that raises the car or pressing sport 1).

Today when I cut the car off I could here the suspension start to lower (from comfort mode suspension), and I noticed my left rear side didn't lower but all the other sides did. When I raise the car I notice the front will raise first then the back will. Is this normal?

How much does it generally cost to fix suspension issues? Has anyone had this issue before with your car?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 AM

E55 wagon, Porsche 550 replica
This sounds normal to me. It will try to keep the car at the desired height. If you had a lot of weight in it like 4 passengers it adds more air to keep the ride height where it should be. When everyone gets out it will end up higher than intended so you will see and hear the car drop. If it is just you, it may not need to lower at all after you get out. Similarly the lowering can vary for each corner depending how it was loaded.

About manually raising it, it will keep that height after you shut it off and lock it. I used to use that all the time when working on the car to make it easier to get a jack under it.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 AM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
But my comfort mode suspension feels rough (like its in sport mode 1 or 2) and the car sometimes feels like it shimmies. The car should have 4 different ride heights correct (comfort, sport 1 and 2, and raising the car)? It seems my car only has 3.... and I never see the car lower between sport 1 and 2

How would you know if you have a leak in one of the airbags (within the suspension)?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
If you had a leak the car would lose air and be dumped after you turn it off and return the next day. The hight difference between comfort and sport 2 is barely noticeable. Sometimes I can't tell it drops while other times you can notice it. I don't think there is anything wrong with your suspension.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
[QUOTE=bcurtis;5672006]But my comfort mode suspension feels rough (like its in sport mode 1 or 2) and the car sometimes feels like it shimmies. The car should have 4 different ride heights correct (comfort, sport 1 and 2, and raising the car)? It seems my car only has 3.... and I never see the car lower between sport 1 and 2

How would you know if you have a leak in one of the airbags (within the suspension)?[/QUOTE

You got some bad information, Who told you the car should dump when you lock it?

The Maybach has DC Aitmatic very much the same that our E55s have,
Here is how your car should work.
http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...2008-27-03.pdf

Now here is the Regular Airmatic for an E class (E320, 350, 500, 550) the E55 has DC airmatic like the Maybach.
http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...2008-13-02.pdf

Last edited by Yacht Master; 06-07-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM

2006 E55 AMG - Stock
see the post "both rears deflated" for some more info, if you haven't already.

ALSO PLEASE Chime in:

When I put the car in raised up mode, it stays there only for 1-2 days. Many times I walk to the car and see it is lowered and when started, it shows it is in lowered mode. I thought at first I had switched it to lower and forgot. But today, it did it again. Was in raised mode since yesterday for sure. Then day later it is in lowered mode, by itself, when it was off I assume.

It also only displays, "Car is rising" when pushed, but not "Vehicle is lowering" when pushed, is it supposed to? or only message for rising?

Also, I noticed the indicator light for raised mode is only half as bright as the comformt/sport mode suspension lights. hmmmmm, mean anything?

Thanks for any info

Last edited by cobra101; 06-18-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Originally Posted by Richard55
This sounds normal to me. It will try to keep the car at the desired height. If you had a lot of weight in it like 4 passengers it adds more air to keep the ride height where it should be. When everyone gets out it will end up higher than intended so you will see and hear the car drop. If it is just you, it may not need to lower at all after you get out. Similarly the lowering can vary for each corner depending how it was loaded.

About manually raising it, it will keep that height after you shut it off and lock it. I used to use that all the time when working on the car to make it easier to get a jack under it.