Sponsored by:

Anyone Gone From C5 Z06 to E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Anyone Gone From C5 Z06 to E55?

After a long 2 years of rebuilding a 2002 Z06 I purchased I may be looking to sell it due to the fact that I don't think I really need another sports car in my life. The E55 seems as close as I'm going to get to the Z06 and gain the ultimate in comfort. I love everything the E55 seems to offer in terms of comfort and performance. And since my Z06 has just under 13k original miles I think I could get a decent amount of money for it to buy the E55 with.

Problem with both of them is.....i've never driven either. I bought the Z06 in non driving condition so i'll be driving it for the first time in a week or so. I can't seem to find anyone with an E55 near me to drive either so i'm working on that. I bought the Z06 to daily and to race at the track on weekends. But I think it may be foolish to daily this thing when I can flip it for the E55 and do the same thing.

I know it's a strange thing to ask but I was hoping someone here has done just what i'm talking about and how you felt about the change? I'm not worried about the price and maintenance as much as i'm worrying about the enjoyment. I know some may say to wait and drive both but this decision is driving me insane.

Thank you for any insight!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Yup, except I owned an E39 M5 between the two.

The Z06, to me, is a track car. It is built to race at the track and it's built just that way. No comfort features, room for kids, and your significant other won't love it Having said that, it does pull very nicely into the triple digits and I personally loved the sound of mine with Borla exhaust, but now married with a son, it's simply not practical. Clutch, from what I remember, was not cheap. And Vettes are a dime a dozen, but you don't see many E55s.

The E55 is all around luxury and performance in one. You can dog many sports cars out there, come home, load up the rear with carseats and take your kids to the park. It's that kind of a car and why so many of us love and can't seem to ever sell it! The low end torque is intoxicating!

Stock for stock, it's a driver's race in a straight line between the two cars...both mid-low 12s @114-117mph.

You're making a wise choice, you won't regret it!

Last edited by ArmoE55; 06-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM

2005 E55
Thank you for the reply. Thats really what I was hoping to hear. I'm a car of the week type but i've been hooked on the E55 for a while now. Ever since I was heading to Atlantic City in my truck and this S55 AMG was just ripping down the road with ease. I haven't even seen an E55 AMG lately at all. If I do end up with one it will be staying with me thats for sure, i've already got the mod list planned out!

Well I managed to luck out on the significant other! She helped me build the car. She races at the track in the 2000 Formula and the 2002 WS6. She likes the Z06 but feels like me at this point. We don't really have a true family car thats just comfortable and enjoyable to drive around. The Z06 is cammed at least so it would move out pretty good.

Quick video for fun :
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Before I bought mine, I considered a Vette, Viper, M5, etc. I just liked the E55 better.

"Stock for stock, it's a driver's race in a straight line between the two cars...both mid-low 12s @114-117mph."

I would have to disagree. The E55 is a 2-3 tenths faster, stock for stock vs a 2002 Z06, at least from what I have seen.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
E55 Really is a great car. I bought mine knowing that it can go fast when I need it, but the real reason was options and comfort. I looked at alot of cars including higher priced and slower Lexus isf. You cant buy one of them with dynamic seats, pano roof, distronic cruise, cooled seats. I'm always looking for best bang for buck with luxury. The e55 at its current price tag wins this category with ease.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
I currently have both of them, I don't see much comparison between the two other than they both represent great value. The C5Z has an unbelievable level of all around performance for the money and unheard of fuel economy, while the Benz offers blistering straight line acceleration combined with good high speed stability, and a comfortable ride.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
The Z06, to me, is a track car. It is built to race at the track and it's built just that way. No comfort features, room for kids, and your significant other won't love it Having said that, it does pull very nicely into the triple digits and I personally loved the sound of mine with Borla exhaust

Stock for stock, it's a driver's race in a straight line between the two cars...both mid-low 12s @114-117mph.

You're making a wise choice, you won't regret it!
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
The C5Z has an unbelievable level of all around performance for the money and unheard of fuel economy, while the Benz offers blistering straight line acceleration combined with good high speed stability, and a comfortable ride.
I agree with all the comments listed above.

I went from a Procharged 01 Speedway white Z06 to my E55 Wagon.

I drove mine daily for 2 years and I miss the six speed manual, insane pull of the supercharger, razor sharp handling of the coil overs, and the sound of the lumpy cam through the Kooks long tube headers and GHL exhaust, but Armo55 is right, it is a "track car"

As much as I loved the Z, I realized that I was only using about 25% of the performance potential on a regular basis and always loved E55's.

The E55 gives me comparable performance to the Z06, a ton more utility, and 100X better interior all in a classy package that is even more stealth in the wagon body style.

The E55 would be closer to perfect with a coilover suspension and manual six speed conversion though.

Go find the right E55, you will love it
Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
if you plan on doing a lot of track days keep the vette.you really can't get a better track car for the money.the problem with selling the vette is you would be lucky to get $20k for it even with only 13k miles.but the vette is not a very comfortable car.what the vette has going for it is its pretty cheap to mod and maintain.i finally got tired of the ride quality,or lack there of, of the vette and knew I wasn't going to have time to do the track days per year I wanted.so I sold the vette a couple months ago and got the e55.i've haven't missed the vette one bit.to me the e55 is just a much better built car.
my best advice would be to get the vette drivable.then drive it for a month or so to see how much you like it and if you can live with the harsh ride.after driving the vette for awhile find a e55 to test drive.you'll be able to make a better decision after that.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not sure what you expect out of a sports car. Cars that handle exceptionally well are going to have an inherent level of stiffness, but the C5/C6 platform is about as comfortable as you expect such a car to be. Compared to let's say a 360 Ferrari which it's on a similar performance level, the Corvette rides like a dream. But if you're going to compare it to a 4000lb luxury sedan, it rides like ****, but that's a nonsensical comparison.

Also talking trash about a $20k C5z with 13k miles on it makes you look like a retard. Reason 1- A car with 13k miles will sell for much more than 20,000 unless there's something wrong with it. Reason 2- even if it did sell for $20k, that's still awesome retention because it was only $50k new. Rason 3- youre comparing cars woth an AMG Benz which has about the most abysmal resale of any vehicle on the planet. Z06 10 years old, new price $50,000 selling for $25,000 you wanna trash talk, but the alternative car (which I am a huge fan of also) I'd have to be able to sell my E55 for over $40,000 in three years to have that kind of resale.

Also is long as you don't have kids to haul around, the Z06 is an awesome daily driver as well as a track car. The AC blows like a meat locker, and it gets better mileage than many 4 cylinder disposable s**tbox cars.

Originally Posted by jonnyc
if you plan on doing a lot of track days keep the vette.you really can't get a better track car for the money.the problem with selling the vette is you would be lucky to get $20k for it even with only 13k miles.but the vette is not a very comfortable car.what the vette has going for it is its pretty cheap to mod and maintain.i finally got tired of the ride quality,or lack there of, of the vette and knew I wasn't going to have time to do the track days per year I wanted.so I sold the vette a couple months ago and got the e55.i've haven't missed the vette one bit.to me the e55 is just a much better built car.
my best advice would be to get the vette drivable.then drive it for a month or so to see how much you like it and if you can live with the harsh ride.after driving the vette for awhile find a e55 to test drive.you'll be able to make a better decision after that.

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 06-13-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM

e55
I'm not sure what you expect out of a sports car. Cars that handle exceptionally well are going to have an inherent level of stiffness, but the C5/C6 platform is about as comfortable as you expect such a car to be. Compared to let's say a 360 Ferrari which it's on a similar performance level, the Corvette rides like a dream. But if you're going to compare it to a 4000lb luxury sedan, it rides like ****, but that's a nonsensical comparison.

Also talking trash about a $20k C5z with 13k miles on it makes you look like a retard. Reason 1- A car with 13k miles will sell for much more than 20,000 unless there's something wrong with it. Reason 2- even if it did sell for $20k, that's still awesome retention because it was only $50k new. Rason 3- youre comparing cars woth an AMG Benz which has about the most abysmal resale of any vehicle on the planet. Z06 10 years old, new price $50,000 selling for $25,000 you wanna trash talk, but the alternative car (which I am a huge fan of also) I'd have to be able to sell my E55 for over $40,000 in three years to have that kind of resale.

Also is long as you don't have kids to haul around, the Z06 is an awesome daily driver as well as a track car. The AC blows like a meat locker, and it gets better mileage than many 4 cylinder disposable s**tbox cars.
I know what you're saying about harsh ride/good handling go hand in hand.thats why I got rid of my coilovers.it was just to rough of a ride even for weekend cruises.but the few c6's I've driven ride much better than the c5.imo the c5 is just a track car.if I wanted a vette for all around driving I would get a c6.

I'm sorry if you thought I was talking trash,that wasn't my intention.i agree that a car going from mid $50k to $20-$23k in 11 years is much better than a car going from $100k to $20k in only 7 years. i was just making the point that,for what he could sell it for,it might be worth it to keep it.some guys I've seen think their 20,000 mile c5 is worth $30k and its not until they drop the price to under $25k that they get interest in it.

you might want to do a little research.after living on corvetteforum for the last 3 years most guys shy away from cars with that kinda milage.they either want something super low,like under 5000 for collecting,or one that's been driven more regularly.the reason being cars need to be driven. ones that sit for long periods tend to have more issues as they get older.mainly gaskets and seals drying out.plus corvettes are a hard sell.there are a lot of them on the market.if he's patient he might be able to get $24-$25 depending on the color.

I too love both cars for what they are.both are probably the best bang for your buck out there.the vettes are awesome sports cars but may not be the best dd especially if you live where there are rough roads.all though some people don't mind a harsh ride in their dd.for me the e55 is an all around better car.but the op really needs to drive both to see which is better for him.

btw,in both my vette and e55 I average 14-15 mpg around town.freeway is a different story.you keep a vette under 75 mph and you'll see 30+ mpg.the best I've gotten out of the e55 was 22 mpg.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 PM

2005 E55
When the car is completed I should be able to make decent money on it from what i've got invested. The only things against it are that it had been totaled (Title is clear) and it has a 5 point roll bar installed. It was believed to have had frame damage which it turned out not to have at all. Just needed new wheelhousings, 1 fender, bumper, and hood. With Heads/Cam/Gears/Long Tubes etc....it ran a 10.68 @ 128 which is the reason for the roll bar. I don't expect to get 20k for it but who knows. I didn't want to start driving it and lose any more value than it will have already had. Interior is mod red and totally mint. I was surprised at how well they hold value which is how the E55 became a possibility for me. I had no idea the E55 would even be in my price range.

As for track days, I probably won't be tracking either a whole lot honestly. I got my fiance into racing and now she races every weekend so it would be nice to be able to make some runs here and there. It's hard to just watch all the time! I get my kicks out on the street really, enjoying a good cruise while having the power to take some people down. I really think it's going to come down to taking a ride in both and seeing what feels right. I know they really aren't comparable as they both were built for really different purposes.

I think there is such tremendous value in the E55 for the price. Every day I read through this forum to learn about the car I learn of some new option it has. That along with the performance really has me hooked. This is a tough one. I wish I didn't have to sell the Z06 off for it but no choice there. I've got 8 more cars that wouldn't fit in my sig and i'm out of space.

FASN8N that Speedway White is a beauty man! Awesome photo. If you sold that and don't regret it that certainly means alot.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM

2005 E55
I know what you're saying about harsh ride/good handling go hand in hand.thats why I got rid of my coilovers.it was just to rough of a ride even for weekend cruises.but the few c6's I've driven ride much better than the c5.imo the c5 is just a track car.if I wanted a vette for all around driving I would get a c6.

I'm sorry if you thought I was talking trash,that wasn't my intention.i agree that a car going from mid $50k to $20-$23k in 11 years is much better than a car going from $100k to $20k in only 7 years. i was just making the point that,for what he could sell it for,it might be worth it to keep it.some guys I've seen think their 20,000 mile c5 is worth $30k and its not until they drop the price to under $25k that they get interest in it.

you might want to do a little research.after living on corvetteforum for the last 3 years most guys shy away from cars with that kinda milage.they either want something super low,like under 5000 for collecting,or one that's been driven more regularly.the reason being cars need to be driven. ones that sit for long periods tend to have more issues as they get older.mainly gaskets and seals drying out.plus corvettes are a hard sell.there are a lot of them on the market.if he's patient he might be able to get $24-$25 depending on the color.

I too love both cars for what they are.both are probably the best bang for your buck out there.the vettes are awesome sports cars but may not be the best dd especially if you live where there are rough roads.all though some people don't mind a harsh ride in their dd.for me the e55 is an all around better car.but the op really needs to drive both to see which is better for him.

btw,in both my vette and e55 I average 14-15 mpg around town.freeway is a different story.you keep a vette under 75 mph and you'll see 30+ mpg.the best I've gotten out of the e55 was 22 mpg.
I'm sure the C6 would be a nicer car but, and i'll probably be hung for this, I don't think it looks nearly as good as a C5 Z06. It just doesn't turn me on. I like the Grand Sports and the C6 Z06 but those aren't going to be down low enough for me in price.

I'm on corvetteforum and got some nice deals on parts there. I wouldn't rely on that forum to sell my car honestly. I watched a guy have a hard time selling his pretty decent looking c5 for 8500. 8500 for a C5 and people were low balling him. Car wasn't damaged at all either and everything worked. As far as the low mileage goes.....at this point....everything has been refreshed in the car front to back. Most things are good as new with receipts. Car really came out beautiful. Its still got that new car smell too.

Thanks for the reply! I've heard many people in agreement that you can daily drive and enjoy the Z06. The roads are a bit shi*ty in NJ but i'm used to it by now. Also agree on the 4 cylinders. No way I can drive some slow pile of junk around. No kids yet....give that a few more years.....

I would be very happy if I could grab 20k on the car but unfortunately it had been totaled before I bought it. So it's up in the air on what it's really worth. At least the title is clear. Car is almost done and looks amazing.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 AM

e55
f8l,
call me crazy but imo the c5 frc body is the best looking corvette ever.i like it better than the c6 z06 & 63 spit window.
I don't know of a more undervalued car than the e55.the amount of car/engineering you get for ~$20k can't be beat.

i guess the question you need to ask yourself is,"do you want a great sports car or do you want just a flat out great car?"
Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You both make some great points. What drives down the price of the AMGs is mostly the astronomic cost of maintenance and repair. This is factored in to the low initial cost,and they still are very expensive cars to own. Specialty cars are a labor of love indeed.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 GL550
I say keep it and get the E55 too...based on your Sig, what's the difference if you have 15 or 16 cars anyway! I will always miss my 02' ZO6, awesome car.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:32 PM

2005 E55
f8l,
call me crazy but imo the c5 frc body is the best looking corvette ever.i like it better than the c6 z06 & 63 spit window.
I don't know of a more undervalued car than the e55.the amount of car/engineering you get for ~$20k can't be beat.

i guess the question you need to ask yourself is,"do you want a great sports car or do you want just a flat out great car?"
Thats what I'm fighting with. What you get for 20k is unreal. I really even feel that if it's properly maintained it isn't going to kill you. I'm finding plenty with 100k and even one with 155k on the clock. I'm looking to settle in around the 50k to 75k range.

I'm feeling like i've had enough of great sports cars and I feel i'm ready to get behind the wheel of something a little more practical without sacrificing the fun part of driving.

You both make some great points. What drives down the price of the AMGs is mostly the astronomic cost of maintenance and repair. This is factored in to the low initial cost,and they still are very expensive cars to own. Specialty cars are a labor of love indeed.
Yes I was a little worried myself on the maintenance. I've checked into quite a few higher end vehicles and it became obvious why the resale took such a hit with the big maintenance bills. I do think the Mercedes is going to be more reliable than most really. Also I've got all my own stuff and will do all the labor myself so that should save me right there.

Originally Posted by Firechaser
I say keep it and get the E55 too...based on your Sig, what's the difference if you have 15 or 16 cars anyway! I will always miss my 02' ZO6, awesome car.
Haha i'd love to really. But right now my collection is spread out over 4 properties. I'm downsizing all this into just maybe 8 or 9 that i'm keeping. I'm planning to buy a larger house and a much larger garage for everything. I'll be using most the money for that and I'm putting aside just enough for the E55. If I can swing keeping the Z06 I will though!

Last edited by f8l ws6; 06-14-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 PM

2008 GL550
Haha i'd love to really. But right now my collection is spread out over 4 properties. I'm downsizing all this into just maybe 8 or 9 that i'm keeping. I'm planning to buy a larger house and a much larger garage for everything. I'll be using most the money for that and I'm putting aside just enough for the E55. If I can swing keeping the Z06 I will though!
If your thinking of moving the TTA you can PM me..biggest mistake I made was letting #850 go, I miss that car.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
I know what you're saying about harsh ride/good handling go hand in hand.thats why I got rid of my coilovers.it was just to rough of a ride even for weekend cruises.
I had Pfadt Coilovers on two C5 Z06's and they rode much better than the factory fiberglass leaf spring setup. They were 16 way adjustable and you could make it ride as smooth as a Caddy or firm it up for the track. Not sure why your coilovers would have been much different

Originally Posted by f8l ws6
FASN8N that Speedway White is a beauty man! Awesome photo. If you sold that and don't regret it that certainly means alot.
Thanks for the compliments, I LOVE the SWZ's, but like I said, I realized I was only using about 25% of the performance potential on a regular basis, so it made sense to sell it for something more useful as a daily driver.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Keep the TTA and get rid of those LT1s and garbage can third gens! They wont raise much capital but clear plenty of space..

Those are all redundancies of your 2002 TAs, and the fact that you're considering getting rid of a C5Z while hanging on to those relics raises questions about your sanity
Thats what I'm fighting with. What you get for 20k is unreal. I really even feel that if it's properly maintained it isn't going to kill you. I'm finding plenty with 100k and even one with 155k on the clock. I'm looking to settle in around the 50k to 75k range.

I'm feeling like i've had enough of great sports cars and I feel i'm ready to get behind the wheel of something a little more practical without sacrificing the fun part of driving.

Yes I was a little worried myself on the maintenance. I've checked into quite a few higher end vehicles and it became obvious why the resale took such a hit with the big maintenance bills. I do think the Mercedes is going to be more reliable than most really. Also I've got all my own stuff and will do all the labor myself so that should save me right there.

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 06-14-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM

e55
Originally Posted by FASN8N
I had Pfadt Coilovers on two C5 Z06's and they rode much better than the factory fiberglass leaf spring setup. They were 16 way adjustable and you could make it ride as smooth as a Caddy or firm it up for the track. Not sure why your coilovers would have been much different

Thanks for the compliments, I LOVE the SWZ's, but like I said, I realized I was only using about 25% of the performance potential on a regular basis, so it made sense to sell it for something more useful as a daily driver.
I was running the lg g2 coilovers.they are really designed for track use only.non adjustable.if you want a different ride you change the coils and the valving to much.they had something like 900# front springs and 750# rear springs.ended up taking off the t1 bars and going back to stock bars because those coils were so stiff it didn't need the heavy bars.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 PM

2008 GL550
Keep the TTA and get rid of those LT1s and garbage can third gens! They wont raise much capital but clear plenty of space..

Those are all redundancies of your 2002 TAs, and the fact that you're considering getting rid of a C5Z while hanging on to those relics raises questions about your sanity
Opposite...sell the TTA and keep the highly sought after third gen's...PM me and I will consider that silly Buick powered TTA ( I'm helping you...)
Who wants a Buick powered 3rd Gen anyways...their just 6 cylinders= slow
Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 PM

2005 E55

TTA stays of course! The LT1's are on their way out. Though one of them isn't an LT1 anymore. It's your average LSX with a large frame.

Haha I think most anyone could agree with you on my sanity there. But to be honest my father recently passed away and me and him spent alot of time together wrenching on those bombs. They mean alot to me and i've always loved the Trans Am.

Originally Posted by Firechaser
Opposite...sell the TTA and keep the highly sought after third gen's...PM me and I will consider that silly Buick powered TTA ( I'm helping you...)
Who wants a Buick powered 3rd Gen anyways...their just 6 cylinders= slow
Nice try pal! That car is way too much fun. 61mm Turbo, 60lbs injectors, 3200 stall, Dynotech trans, Little bit of spray and the list goes on. 21k Miles on it.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was just giving you a hard time, I'm sure there's a reason you have each one of them and having fun w pops working on them is as good a reason as it gets. I've probably got a quarter million miles logged in the dozen or so third gen F-bodies I had when I was younger and I'm sure I'll have another one some day down the road. The TTA is legit , that was the first 10 second car I ever drove way back in 99 or so.. It scared the s**t out of me!

TTA stays of course! The LT1's are on their way out. Though one of them isn't an LT1 anymore. It's your average LSX with a large frame.

Haha I think most anyone could agree with you on my sanity there. But to be honest my father recently passed away and me and him spent alot of time together wrenching on those bombs. They mean alot to me and i've always loved the Trans Am.

Nice try pal! That car is way too much fun. 61mm Turbo, 60lbs injectors, 3200 stall, Dynotech trans, Little bit of spray and the list goes on. 21k Miles on it.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 PM

2005 E55
Yeah they are fun. All started with my 1999 Firehawk I bought back in late 2000 from Virginia. Beautiful car and I miss it. My TTA i've owned for just over 8 years now. Thing is an animal with the mods on it. I took it to the track, filled up on 116, turned it up to 27 lbs of boost, and took it for a few runs down the track....all of which I could not get traction. Gave up and turned down the boost....or so I thought....I was heading down the road and decided to nail it and the car was just violent all over the place. Gave me a quick heart attack.

A little more on topic here.....Z06 looks to be finished Sunday hopefully driving Monday. Trying to line up an E55 to drive during the week hopefully as well. I found one that fits almost all of what I want so far. Missing a few options but not a huge deal. I know it will be a while before I find the right one for me. Thanks to everyone that responded here, very helpful to my decision.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Interesting discussion. My past lives include an 86 GN, 01 Procharged Bored/stroked C5, 07 C6, 08 C6 and my current 996TT.

All that said, of all those cars, if I could only have one, it would be the E55 wagon. Just such a complete car. Second place would go to the 08 C6. The 996TT is a good all around car, but lacks the passion of the low-end torque (I hate the turbo lag).

The Z06 and the E55 could not be more different, but if you're not looking for a track car, but a daily driver, you can't go wrong with the E55.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Gone From C5 Z06 to E55?