Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads up for guys who drive around with leaking fuel sending units

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
Actually the filter IS independently replaceable...if you want the hassle, you can twist the holder apart and replace just the filter inside. Not for me, but you CAN do it.

MB doesn't specifically suggest replacing the pump(s) as a service item. Surely, not a bad idea to do so, but where do you stop? Should the injectors get replaced too?

In MY opinion, the money is better spent on adequate monitoring devices that will let you know if you are running lean. Covers a larger spread of potential issues and also gives tuning info as well.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Add another car to the list with this problem. I was driving yesterday with reserve fuel. All of a sudden the CEL turns on. I make a run to the gas station and fill the car up. CEL is still on. I figured it would be since low gas wouldn't trigger a CEL. But then I get it back home and parked in the garage and after a couple hours it smelled of gas.

I let it sit overnight and this morning I removed the back seat and opened both the driver and passenger side tank covers. Passenger side sender unit and tank are dry. Drivers side the black tank is wet with gasoline. The sender (white piece) appears dry but maybe it dried up overnight???

I am thinking of purchasing the new sender unit (Part # 2114705194) from parts.com for $388 and swapping out the driver side. Does this sound like the appropriate course of action?

I've only had the car 2 weeks and already I have an issue with the SRS sensor in the passenger seat and now this. Although, I knew when I purchased the car there was an issue with the SRS. My dilemma now is should I spend $4500 on an extended warranty for 3 years of piece of mind, or go the route of diagnosing and fixing things myself... I love the car and the way it drives but don't want to regret my purchase with always having to fix things on it.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
I don't have a stuck float, but my sender did melt a hole through it and burn out the fuel pumps, which caused a fuse in the rear to blow as well. This happened while I was sitting at the car detailing place, and I had to stand out in the rain while a flatbed loaded the car up.

Since I went through and changed out all the parts myself, I haven't had a problem though.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
Originally Posted by MindBend
Actually the filter IS independently replaceable...if you want the hassle, you can twist the holder apart and replace just the filter inside. Not for me, but you CAN do it.

MB doesn't specifically suggest replacing the pump(s) as a service item. Surely, not a bad idea to do so, but where do you stop? Should the injectors get replaced too?

In MY opinion, the money is better spent on adequate monitoring devices that will let you know if you are running lean. Covers a larger spread of potential issues and also gives tuning info as well.
where do you buy the replacement filter from? do you happen to have a part #?