Sponsored by:

Heads up for guys who drive around with leaking fuel sending units

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
Heads up for guys who drive around with leaking fuel sending units

I had a leaky driver's side fuel sending unit in my CLS. I chose not to repair it because I already replaced my passenger side unit last year and figured I'd be ok if I never filled up past 3/4 tank. Well, today on the way to work my car shut off. Left me stranded on the highway. Turns out that my car ran out of gas. My fuel gauge was showing a 1/4 tank. The level on the passenger side unit somehow stuck on 1/4 tank even though the tank was bone dry. Those pumps are not something to mess with. $1500 later they are replaced with new OEM pumps. I filed a safety claim a few months ago but never heard anything. I guess this is just part of the deal with these cars.

My tech (who is a master MB tech) told me leaving one faulty pump will prematurely wear out the other side. I didn't believe him at first. Shame on me, I learned the hard way.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by FinanceMike
I had a leaky driver's side fuel sending unit in my CLS. I chose not to repair it because I already replaced my passenger side unit last year and figured I'd be ok if I never filled up past 3/4 tank. Well, today on the way to work my car shut off. Left me stranded on the highway. Turns out that my car ran out of gas. My fuel gauge was showing a 1/4 tank. The level on the passenger side unit somehow stuck on 1/4 tank even though the tank was bone dry. Those pumps are not something to mess with. $1500 later they are replaced with new OEM pumps. I filed a safety claim a few months ago but never heard anything. I guess this is just part of the deal with these cars.

My tech (who is a master MB tech) told me leaving one faulty pump will prematurely wear out the other side. I didn't believe him at first. Shame on me, I learned the hard way.
just another good reason to take these cars to Carmax and give up
Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 PM

CLS55
I dont blame the car. Fuel pumps are a wear and tear item for the 55k. 60k miles is the replace date according to MB. I was trying to be cheap and put a bandaid on the problem. My guy gave me a 3 year warranty on the parts.
If I wanted a zero maintenance car, I would have bought a Lexus like my wife's.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Yep, still waiting for MB to acknowledge this and do a recall. Govt sure pressured Chrysler for their gas tank recall!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by novae500
Yep, still waiting for MB to acknowledge this and do a recall. Govt sure pressured Chrysler for their gas tank recall!!!
FinanceMike brings up a good point that will make it even harder for all of us.

The fuel pump IS a maintenance item, and with most cars on this forum well over 60K miles now, almost NOBODY still has an original factory-installed fuel pump/sender anymore.... or if they do, it's because somebody decided to ignore the recommended service intervals.

Mercedes-Benz can therefore blame almost EVERY failure on a bad installation of the replacement part, and never accept blame for the issue. I think they know darn well that the longer they delay, the easier it will be to refuse a recall or any other expensive "good will" repairs.

When the time comes, replace the DS fuel pump/sender with the lousy factory part.... flood the top of the pump with epoxy (like ForrestGump did) and that's probably the best you're ever going to do....

Keep in mind, pumps DO fail eventually and with everyone trying so hard for massive RWHP numbers these days it's more important than ever to replace the pumps at least as frequently as AMG reccommends (and possibly more often) a failed or failing pump is not going to put out enough flow to support WOT, and a lean engine is a blown engine.

-G
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
I am afraid my 05' has a "stuck" float. It doesn't seem to go below 1/4...I am trying to figure out if the float is obvious on the fuel pump so I can pull it out and move it around before going and dropping $$ for a new fuel pump. Anyone know if its on the fuel pump (passenger side)?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by E55Freak
I am afraid my 05' has a "stuck" float. It doesn't seem to go below 1/4...I am trying to figure out if the float is obvious on the fuel pump so I can pull it out and move it around before going and dropping $$ for a new fuel pump. Anyone know if its on the fuel pump (passenger side)?

This is what caused me to run out of gas this morning. The float got stuck at 1/4 tank and it caused me to run dry. I called a few MB parts guys and they all said the float is not a separate replacement item. You have to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. I don't know if that is 100% accurate but in my case the sending unit was cracked on top as well so I didn't have a choice nor cared to do any further research. I needed my car running asap.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i did replace my ds assemby for $900 at the dealer. Same thing for my e500 4matic ds replaced under warranty
Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
Originally Posted by moosejaw
just another good reason to take these cars to Carmax and give up
So MOOSE?: I guess you sold your car and all you do now is reply to threads showing that hula hoop girl previously... that mesmerized me everytime...and now you have this other pic that really throws off my whole game on this forum! I come on here to say hello or gain some more knowledge as to modding and when you have replied to something...I see that pic...and it all goes out the window! All I wanna do is get my girlfriend over here or hit the **** site!!! Thanks pal!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG / 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by FinanceMike

My car doesn't have the fuel smell at all but it seems like I run out of gas. I let the car sit for about 30 mins & it starts back up no problem. It was a 90 degree day today and the car shut down back to back after 4 or 5 miles intervals.

Is this the same problem as you? I'm not throwing any codes either. Don't wanna be stuck with someone telling me to change the units if I dont have to.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Ike Luv
My car doesn't have the fuel smell at all but it seems like I run out of gas. I let the car sit for about 30 mins & it starts back up no problem. It was a 90 degree day today and the car shut down back to back after 4 or 5 miles intervals.

Is this the same problem as you? I'm not throwing any codes either. Don't wanna be stuck with someone telling me to change the units if I dont have to.
Search CPS, that might be your issue.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG / 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by AKnight55
Search CPS, that might be your issue.
I just changed my cps like 3 months ago. Plus its a different feel too from the shutdown, with the cps , its like all or nothing. With this, its almost like its running out of gas, like a gradual shutdown...
Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Like that sounds like it could very well be a dying fuel pump. As another member said, a dying pump means going lean, and going lean can mean a blown engine if you get into boost. I'd get a fuel pressure gauge on it before beating on the car any more. Make sure you're able to monitor the pressure while doing a nice long wide open throttle pull. Shut down immediately if pressure starts dropping.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
With the rather large group of e55 mod cars around I don't understand why an aftermarket co has not offered a solid sump racing fuel cell replacement for these cars.

For the price of the marginal mb replacement one should be able to buy a custom am unit with better pumps access etc and be done with it.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by betrezra
With the rather large group of e55 mod cars around I don't understand why an aftermarket co has not offered a solid sump racing fuel cell replacement for these cars.

For the price of the marginal mb replacement one should be able to buy a custom am unit with better pumps access etc and be done with it.

There's no money left in this market.

The ballers have all moved to the newer AMG platforms...it seems like these days the typical E55 buyer wants $100 tunes, and $300 header kits..... There's simply no appetite for a $1500+ fuel system upgrade.

-G
Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
^^^^^ this

It's unfortunate but true

JR from JS Benz has put in time to resolve the fuel issue on the E55 but nothing yet
Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
The fuel pump (2)is located on the passenger side. The drivers side is a sender unit, both sides utilize level senders. The second fuel pump on pass side only activates after 5 sec of wot, and ensures that the splash bowl stays full.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 E55 AMG
Ive had my local mercedes dealer tell me about this. It was a recall a few years ago, i took mine in only a couple years ago. It took all day, but they were cool enough to give me a courtesy c250 to drive all day, i didnt mind at all. This is a pretty dangerous recall, everyone should check with their local dealers, just call them and tell give them the car serial # and they will check if your car is a part of the recall.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
Originally Posted by westu93
Ive had my local mercedes dealer tell me about this. It was a recall a few years ago, i took mine in only a couple years ago. It took all day, but they were cool enough to give me a courtesy c250 to drive all day, i didnt mind at all. This is a pretty dangerous recall, everyone should check with their local dealers, just call them and tell give them the car serial # and they will check if your car is a part of the recall.
I called mbusa and gave VIN, they said the car was taken in for recall. I still have the gas smell on hot days, so I need to take in again. On a side note there is an air bag and SBC unit warranty for 10 years.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I just turned 61k miles and haven't had a single fuel issue. I know I need to replace the pumps soon, but I'm afraid to create a problem that was never there. lol
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM

'04 E55 AMG
Mine was like that too. Originally it was gonna be a 3 hour max job but they found other problems witht the fuel module and completely replaced it, free of charge. So maybe you will have to do the same. Smelling leaked gasoline while driving would freak me out, like I'll explode or something. Lol
Originally Posted by E55Freak
I called mbusa and gave VIN, they said the car was taken in for recall. I still have the gas smell on hot days, so I need to take in again. On a side note there is an air bag and SBC unit warranty for 10 years.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Originally Posted by Ike Luv
I just changed my cps like 3 months ago. Plus its a different feel too from the shutdown, with the cps , its like all or nothing. With this, its almost like its running out of gas, like a gradual shutdown...
Check your fuel pump relay(s)...

As these pumps age, they start to draw more power. This causes the relay to get hotter, eventually to the point where it will cause the socket to deform/make intermittent contact.

My 03 did this when it was hot outside. After swapping the relay and socket, all was cured.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 & ML350 Bluetec
I would have to add that mine also went out at right around 55,000 miles....I wish I had a warning on one or both fuel pumps as one decided to start being a pain while I was on the track at Road Atlanta with a whole bunch of C6 ZO6's. I'd fill up their mirrors in the back straight and then the car would just run out of fuel pressure. I tried hobbling it back to Houston (via Tail of the Dragon) only to have the one poor fuel pump finally give up the ghost on this very awesome road. Had to wait two hours for a tow truck from the closest dealer! If you have a low-mileage example, you might want to address this issue before you go anywhere fun. Darn Vettes, I'll get you next time.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM

'05 E55
TX-E,
Had you replaced the filter assembly prior to this? Was it ever replaced?
Just looking for a pattern to this.
Thx
Old 06-28-2013, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
The filter is not independently replaceable. You have to do the entire sending unit with the pump for I believe around $600. I'm at 58K miles on my 03 and want to do a pump as preventative maintenance but I don't have a leaking tank and with all the horror stories floating around I;m scared to touch the thing till NHTSA is done with their investigation. I'm expecting/hoping for a recall with new sending units paid for by MBUSA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heads up for guys who drive around with leaking fuel sending units