Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Long Drive No air in cabin.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 - Eurocharged Stage 1
So i just check the pressure on the ac menu. With the ac running, it read out at 10. What should it be reading?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
raise fan speed or temp or both

Originally Posted by pnoyworx
So I have seen the other post such as this matter I am about to describe. I have searched and used the search function of this site.

After a couple of long drives from Seattle to Cali back to back I experienced a problem on both drives. After about 8hr drive or so the air would decrease to almost non existent to the cabin. But you can hear the fan working, and does change speeds when you press recirculate, etc. After shutting the car off for a few minutes the air would once again fill the cabin then slowly the air in the cabin would die down.

So this last trip, I brought it to a shop and we replaced the fan resistors and fan. Took the trip back home to Seattle, and it happened again. So I did some research, and could only find bits an pieces of information.

1. Some claim that it could be just low on freon....

2. Evaporator is freezing up, and an humidity sensor needs to be installed. possible Bulletin on this, but dealership can't find one.

3. Dealership states it's possible that it's the solar/sunload sensor on the hood not properly reading, causing flaps not to close.. etc.

Did anyone ever get a solid answer to a solution to this?

Also the diagnosis menu on the climate control unit, does anyone have a value data?
Most that I can find applies to an older model control unit. Another is, does anyone know how to switch the climate control unit to fahrenheit? Thanks in advance
If your evaporator temperature sensor is good which I wouldn't even bother checking or paying to test, simply don't run your fan on lowest or low speed and temp on real low (cold) setting. Keep fan speed at 2 or 3 bars on digital display and there will be enough air moving over coil to stop it from freezing up solid. If you picture very little air moving over a super cold device (evaporator coil) there are not enough molecules of heat in that tiny amount of air to reduce the coil's tendency to freeze up.I propose you have a kick *** AC that is doing its job, but is hindered by low fan and low or max cold choice of settings over a long period during a trip. If fan speed workaround is too high for your personal liking, just direct it at floor but don't close off vents like Yacht Master already advised against.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by NorthernVA
So i just check the pressure on the ac menu. With the ac running, it read out at 10. What should it be reading?
It depends on both the outside temperature and the temperature of the car interior. During the summer something in the range of 15 is typical. BTW the unit of measure is bars, where a bar is approx 15psi.

Sounds like you are low on refrigerant. Not unexpected for a 2006 model year.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by NorthernVA
It should read 6-18 it all depends on demand.
There is so much disinformation on this value, it is a reading if high pressure side. Not state of charge.

We have a variable displacement compressor it changes it's displacement by changes in pressures, the changes in pressure are determined by the expansion valve, hence 6-18.
In stop and go traffic on a 95* day the #7 reading will / should fluctuate from 12-18 on that same day on the highway at speed the number numbers could be 8-10.

Now here is what is important, this system only functions with an exact charge!
If the charge is off (+-3oz) it will not be running at its design peak. I have seen too many DIYers buy a can of R134a from Walmart (with sealer-very bad) and proceed to overcharge there system, the problem, they only needed 6 ounces but put in 12 because they relied on the pressure gague to provide state of charge.....wrong,,, there is only one way to be sure your A/C charge is correct take it to a reputable A/C shop and have them recover the R134a in your system and refill your system with the "premeasured" amount of R134a, this is not a DIY you need a modern refergeration equipment to do this. Side note if you have sealer in your system NO A/C shop will recover your tainted R134a yes the recovery machine tests for the sealer,quality and gas makeup of your R134a.