W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

new KLEEMANN alloy boost pulley!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2013 | 05:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

new KLEEMANN alloy boost pulley!

I am very pleased to announce the introduction of KLEEMANN's new all-alloy, 168mm boost pulley for the 113K engine! This is an all-alloy, non-dampened version of our OE-Style 168mm pulley and will be sold at substantial savings over our current 168. The Alloy Boost Kit will sell for $1495.00 including BMC air filters, new OE crank bolt, KLEEMANN badges and an ECU tune. Power gains remain the same as our current OE-style kit at about +30 WHP, +50 WTQ. Our new alloy pulley also features a reduction in rotating mass as it's 5 lbs. lighter than our OE-style pulley (Alloy pulley is ~6 lbs, OE style is ~11 lbs.). Unlike some of our competitors, we have designed our pulley to accept the factory crankshaft tool making installation quick and easy. Our new alloy kits are in stock, ready for immediate shipping and will fit ALL 113K engines.
Attached Thumbnails new KLEEMANN alloy boost pulley!-alloy-113k-bk.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013 | 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
How much without the tune, filters & badges?
Old 06-26-2013 | 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
damn thats not a bad price at all.
Old 06-26-2013 | 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Hi Cory,
For people who already have your tune, how much is the pulley only ?
Old 06-26-2013 | 05:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by HeissRod
How much without the tune, filters & badges?
$1K
Old 06-26-2013 | 06:22 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
never used kleemann stuff, but going by history pay more and play with the big Professional boys

enough of the small vendor rip offs

One of the oldest sponsors i have seen, lasted and stayed true

GL
Old 06-26-2013 | 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cory,

Can you explain the reasoning behind a "non-dampened" pulley? I'd always thought that having a dampener was critical for crank pullies.

I'm sure like all Kleemann products this is the "real deal" but it would be interesting to hear more about why it was designed this way.

Definitely a tempting price....

-G
Old 06-26-2013 | 06:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by GregMB
Cory,

Can you explain the reasoning behind a "non-dampened" pulley? I'd always thought that having a dampener was critical for crank pullies.

I'm sure like all Kleemann products this is the "real deal" but it would be interesting to hear more about why it was designed this way.

Definitely a tempting price....

-G
The Reason is 100% price related. Yes, a dampened pulley is preferred for longevity. However, production costs are high for such a pulley. KLEEMANN starts with a brand new, factory crank pulley and it's put through a machining process which removes the belt grooves for the SC drive plane. A larger ring is produced (black anodized aluminum), pressed onto the machined OE pulley, and is further secured with 4 set screws, and then the entire assembly is re-balanced. While this is an extremely high-quality pulley, it's also very expensive to produce which increases end-user prices. Our goal with the alloy pulley is to offer a much less expensive alternative which does come at the expense of removing certain features, such as the dampener. At this point in time, alloy pulleys have been well tested and as far as I can tell, I've not seen any significant disadvantage to not having a dampened pulley. We can expect slightly reduced engine life, but by how much is hard to say- there are individuals with tens of thousands of miles on alloy pulleys with no detriment.
Old 06-26-2013 | 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Yikes, a non-dampened pulley. The RTR pulleys were also not dampened. There is a very good reason the factory built these with dampener. Sorry Cory, I'm not trying to hate, I just think this is a very dangerous game to be playing with a very expensive engine.
Old 06-26-2013 | 08:58 PM

05 E55
doesnt asp do this too with their aluminum outer ring pullies?
Old 06-27-2013 | 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by theblckghst
doesnt asp do this too with their aluminum outer ring pullies?
No sir, they do offer that style pulley but it is pressed on and pinned to a OEM dampened pulley
Old 06-27-2013 | 09:35 AM

03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by PACougar
Yikes, a non-dampened pulley. The RTR pulleys were also not dampened. There is a very good reason the factory built these with dampener. Sorry Cory, I'm not trying to hate, I just think this is a very dangerous game to be playing with a very expensive engine.
That was exact thought when I fist saw it. But this lip is a bit deeper than RTR, so if the RTR could hold 1000 miles maybe this one can hold 2000? I have never seen any bad stuff from this vendor even when they sourced from china so maybe this is a good product too? I am not trying it but would love to see someone try it.
Old 06-27-2013 | 11:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Can you elaborate? EC has been selling non-dampened pulleys for quite some time without failures and from what I can tell, they seem to be very popular.
Old 06-27-2013 | 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by Cory @ Kleemann
Can you elaborate? EC has been selling non-dampened pulleys for quite some time without failures and from what I can tell, they seem to be very popular.
me, urbamworm and a few other members had non dampened pulleys and they threw belts all the time and eventually vibrated themselves off the crankshaft even though they were torqued to correct spec...

i wouldnt touch a non-dampened pulley with a 10 ft pole on these cars after that.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...entucky-4.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-fell-off.html

replaced my non-dampened one with a asp dampened one like craig is talking about and never had a problem since

Last edited by gaspam; 06-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2013 | 01:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by gaspam
me, urbamworm and a few other members had non dampened pulleys and they threw belts all the time and eventually vibrated themselves off the crankshaft even though they were torqued to correct spec...

i wouldnt touch a non-dampened pulley with a 10 ft pole on these cars after that.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...entucky-4.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-fell-off.html

replaced my non-dampened one with a asp dampened one like craig is talking about and never had a problem since
I see- certainly not a good experience! This raises a red flag in my mind tho- 2 different people used the same shop for a pulley installation, and both of those people had their pulleys fall off. How can you definitively attribute that to the pulley not having a vibration damper, and not improper installation, since they were both done at the same shop? I've seen plenty of dampened OE-style pulleys come off in the 11+ years I've been with KLEEMANN and every single one of them was due to improper torque on the crank bolt or improper installation onto the crank nose. I've also installed many, MANY dampened and non-dampened pulleys (M111, M271, M112, M112K, M113, M113K, M156, etc.) and I have never once had a pulley come off that I can recall. Furthermore, if the pulley coming off was indeed caused by the lack of a dampener, wouldn't every single person with a non-dampened pulley have the same problem? I'm certainly not discounting your experience, but based on my professional opinion and a decade+ of experience with the 113 series engine, I just don't see the cause being the lack of vibration dampener. I can certainly respect your experience and opinion though- thanks for sharing!
Old 06-27-2013 | 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
My pulley had over 10,000 miles on it before it came off. And the shop is a Mercedes repair/sale facility that did the install. I wouldn't say it is a no dampener pulley though since there is some weight to it. They must have something built inside the aluminum pieces that bolt together.
Old 06-27-2013 | 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
In the early LSX modding days, non dampened pulleys were available for the economically challenged and while no one was breaking crankshafts or observing bearing damage, the timing chain would snap in half from harmonics and the pistons would smash the valves.

These cheapo pulleys work okay seemingly in the little import engines which almost all use timing belts and wouldn't transfer any crank vibrations so I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these in that application. I wouldn't even be too concerned honestly about one in a Mercedes since they're all automatic transmissions which have a torque converter full of fluid that will help dampen vibrations.

Theres two reasons I would never buy this.
1- The small savings isn't worth the risk since the cost of a replacement engine will total the car unless using a junkyard engine of unknown condition.
2- You guys as usual rob your customers with a 1000% price gouge over any other type of car. This pulley if it fit a Mustang would cost $100 maybe $120 . I know these cars are low production so I expect to pay more. Double even ! But hey , it's a free market so if as a customer this is what you want, jump on it!
Old 06-27-2013 | 02:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
In the early LSX modding days, non dampened pulleys were available for the economically challenged and while no one was breaking crankshafts or observing bearing damage, the timing chain would snap in half from harmonics and the pistons would smash the valves.

These cheapo pulleys work okay seemingly in the little import engines which almost all use timing belts and wouldn't transfer any crank vibrations so I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these in that application. I wouldn't even be too concerned honestly about one in a Mercedes since they're all automatic transmissions which have a torque converter full of fluid that will help dampen vibrations.

Theres two reasons I would never buy this.
1- The small savings isn't worth the risk since the cost of a replacement engine will total the car unless using a junkyard engine of unknown condition.
2- You guys as usual rob your customers with a 1000% price gouge over any other type of car. This pulley if it fit a Mustang would cost $100 maybe $120 . I know these cars are low production so I expect to pay more. Double even ! But hey , it's a free market so if as a customer this is what you want, jump on it!
Thanks for the post! This pulley is clearly not for everyone. If you're looking for a high-quality dampened pulley, we do offer one. For those looking for a lower-cost solution who don't particularly care, this alloy pulley is a good alternative.

I'm sorry you think we're price gouging- this is of course, your opinion and I can respect that. I'd hate to know what you think of the $4380.00 pulley kit RT offers...
Old 06-27-2013 | 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Anything from them you just have to look at the price and LOL. They smoke some good stuff in that shop I tell you.
Old 06-27-2013 | 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Why don't you guys charge 4k too? You'll probably sell more because someone out there will assume its better the more overpriced it is. I'm just giving you a hard time and I know I shouldn't because it's your sales thread(albeit in the wrong forum) I'm just a sassy little **** today
Old 06-27-2013 | 02:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Why don't you guys charge 4k too? You'll probably sell more because someone out there will assume its better the more overpriced it is. I'm just giving you a hard time and I know I shouldn't because it's your sales thread(albeit in the wrong forum) I'm just a sassy little **** today
baahahahahah- that was funny! No worries my friend- it's all in good fun!
Old 06-27-2013 | 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Chris and I see eye to eye on this, it's just not worth taking the risk. It's not like pulling out balance shafts and ending up with a bit of vibration at idle. The dampener is an important part of eliminating vibrations through the crank. I just think some things aren't worth saving the money on. It's one thing to lessen the life span on a engine simply due to higher engine output, that's the bargain we all make to go fast, but to simply cheap out and end up with something that's not right isn't worth it IMO. Plus Cory you guys are a premium company, I hate to see you selling a sub par part!
Old 06-27-2013 | 06:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chris and I see eye to eye on this, it's just not worth taking the risk. It's not like pulling out balance shafts and ending up with a bit of vibration at idle. The dampener is an important part of eliminating vibrations through the crank. I just think some things aren't worth saving the money on. It's one thing to lessen the life span on a engine simply due to higher engine output, that's the bargain we all make to go fast, but to simply cheap out and end up with something that's not right isn't worth it IMO. Plus Cory you guys are a premium company, I hate to see you selling a sub par part!
I appreciate your opinion- thanks!!
Old 06-27-2013 | 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 amg
I too would prefer the original kleemann 168 pulley, love my tune and headers tho
Old 06-27-2013 | 09:24 PM

2005 E55
I produced and tested three versions of the non damped pulleys...look on a stock pulley, there will be a frequency printed on it...dont you think the unlimited engineering budget of Mercedes Benz will have a reason for this? The frequency will offset the negative vibration produced by by the engine. The damper will absorb and help cancel it. Run from the non damped pulley.

Cory, i was your top one or two dealer for a couple years in the early 2000's. be careful with this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new KLEEMANN alloy boost pulley!