W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Any downside to muffler delete? Power loss?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55, '12 C63
Any downside to muffler delete? Power loss?

So instead of buying an expensive aftermarket muffler, I was thinking to take my car to a reputable muffler shop (used them for all my previous cars and they do exceptional work) to cut off the mufflers, weld high quality stainless pipes in the mufflers' place and into the stock AMG tips.

Has anybody done this? How does it sound? Video clips?

Any downsides? Power/torque loss, drone etc.

I would think there wouldn't be any power/torque loss since it's just the mufflers and the remaining exhaust isn't compromised.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
I have LTs with 3inch pipes w/X-pipe and nothing else. I have no tips either. The pipes dump right behind the rear wheels facing down at an angle. The drone and vibration is bad, but I never gave a sh*t. Lol

No power loss really, but I've never hit 600wtq. So, apparent TQ loss, but it breaths great up top. I have pulled EVERY E55k, with equal power, after 100mph.

All my vids, sound clips, and races are on my YouTube channel "redbulljnky".

Last edited by RedBullJnky; 07-14-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 E55(SOLD), 03 E500(SOLD)
I test drove an E55 a couple of years ago without mufflers. The drone was unbearable. The power wasn't there either but I can't say if that was because of the lack of mufflers.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
I have LTs with 3inch pipes w/X-pipe and nothing else. I have no tips either. The pipes dump right behind the rear wheels facing down at an angle. The drone and vibration is bad, but I never gave a sh*t. Lol

No power loss really, but I've never hit 600wtq. So, appearant TQ loss, but it breaths great up top. I have pulled EVERY E55k, with equal power, after 100mph.

All my vids, sound clips, and races are on my YouTube channel "redbulljnky".
Elliott - I'm wondering if you've tested with mufflers at all - would the TQ would give a little more low end push? - not sure how much you'd lose on the top end (if anything)

just speculating
Old 07-14-2013, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts
2006 E55
I would imagine just straight pipes in place of the mufflers would create an annoying drone - which most people don't enjoy as it takes away from comfort. It depends on the person, I guess.

Also, remember, early morning cold starts won't make your neighbors happy, either.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by Toadster
Elliott - I'm wondering if you've tested with mufflers at all - would the TQ would give a little more low end push? - not sure how much you'd lose on the top end (if anything)

just speculating
I have a 1.49 60ft. So I think my low end push is fine.
I used to have the same set up with stock mufflers. But the car was at the track 3 times a week, so we just left them off.
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
I would imagine just straight pipes in place of the mufflers would create an annoying drone - which most people don't enjoy as it takes away from comfort. It depends on the person, I guess.

Also, remember, early morning cold starts won't make your neighbors happy, either.
Yes, about 5 of my neighbors come out side when I cold start it. But they all like my car.

Last edited by RedBullJnky; 07-14-2013 at 02:43 PM.