Driver rear door wont close, help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Driver rear door wont close, help needed

Has anybody ever had this happen? The latch that holds the door closed wont engage fully, its staying in the open position. I can play with the latch by hand and get it to lightly engage in the closed position but it wont stay that way and I can easily open the latch with my finger. If I pull the inside door handle I can hear it actuating the release and see a small amount of movememt. Is it likely I need a new mechanism in there or can some adjustment be made? Is this a common issue with our cars? I had to use a ratchet strap for the time being between the two inside arm rests to keep the door closed!! This SUCKS and not what I think of when I think German luxury machine. More like ghetto rigged hoopty for now and it's really buggin the **** out of me
Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
When you lock the door, does it make dit dit dit sound like a machine gun? if so, then you need a door lock actuator that has gone bad.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
have you tried adjusting the latch?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by moosejaw
have you tried adjusting the latch?
Not sure how to adjust the latch, do you mean the striker is not pushing the latch in far enough? It will not latch no matter how far I push the latch in if that's what you are suggesting

Originally Posted by novae500
When you lock the door, does it make dit dit dit sound like a machine gun? if so, then you need a door lock actuator that has gone bad.
Nope I seen what that looks and sounds like on youtube and that is not it. Sounds like that latch itself is bad, Marcin over at Speedriven said he has seen them go bad before.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
I had this on my rear door, there is a motor which releases the latch, this is spring loaded so after release it springs back to its original position, the spring has broken so it does not return to the original position and keeps the latch open.

you can take the lock out, take the little motor off and reset the spring loaded cog (there are arrows pointing to the correct position) then put it all back together and it will work.

its part of the unlocking mechenism so the cog is only used if the car is locked and you use that door to unlock. If you use any other door to unlock, the broken lock will work fine... its hard to explain.

anyhow, conclusion, you need a new door lock, and as you have keyless its a different lock to the non keyless versions.
The following users liked this post:
Mick Roth (12-26-2019)
Old 07-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
Originally Posted by novae500
+1 time to replace your door actuator!