Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the CTS-V...comparison to my 2004 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: Cadillac CTS-V (V2), Chevy Cruze Past: E55k
Sick! I noticed you boost needle went straight to 15lbs. How many pounds of boost are you making?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
Originally Posted by urbamworm

:r olf::rol f:

That is freakin great!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
That doesn't suck.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by Hotsoss
Sick! I noticed you boost needle went straight to 15lbs. How many pounds of boost are you making?
Got the car retuned yesterday because it was originally tuned in very cold weather (snowed the day before), and the tune was not great in many ways, start up hot and cold as well as partial throttle stuff, also ended up having the tcu tune completely redone. The car made 664whp in very cold weather back in January but I figured it was down on power in the heat of the Florida summer so wasn't expecting anything big.

It made 594whp 570wtq yesterday before the tune was touched and this was in very hot and also fairly humid weather. The car was making 15psi on the dyno and running 93 octane. He adjusted everything about the tune and also adjusted the bypass valve right at the end before getting off the dyno and finalizing with some street tuning. On the street it saw another 1.5psi of boost (we actually saw 16.8 in one log) so is most likely making another 20whp on the street than what was saw on the dyno. The final numbers were 619whp 619wtq on 93 octane with the car blazing hot, no cool down, no ice tank reservoir for added capacity which I am going to be buying. It also seems to have a intake air temp problem which is possibly a bubble in the system somewhere that I need to look in to, so these numbers were with IATs going to around 160-170. Even on the street cruising we were seeing temps in the supercharger about 20-25 degrees hotter than they should be.

The weather at time of dyno was 92 degrees and 54% humidity with a DA of 2635, so not to bad in my mind

The tuner Jeremy Formato of Fasterproms is legit and is one of the best in the LS engine world from what I hear. Not only did he make nice peak gaines with the retune but he made substantial low and midrange gaines. It will be interesting to see what the car will do now during the winter and also with the rising intake temp problem fixed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by urbamworm; 08-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
That's pretty cool
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things from Jeremy Formato over on the Caddy forums. I'm glad you got your car all dialed in the way you wanted it and at the same time picked up a lot of power under the curve. Nice!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I am sure with letting the car cool off and doing a cold run or icing the supercharger or stuff like that would have shown another decent hp increase as well. Kinda wish we would have seen the higher boost on the dyno as well to see what that extra psi seen on the street made for power. The car on a cool run could very well now be making very close to same numbers in terrible weather to what it did before in cold weather, which the dyno I previously posted was a cold run in the cold weather.

Last edited by urbamworm; 08-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just the heat. You'll have to wait until the fall or head out very early morning when it is cool to equate the cooler conditions of the Virginia region. The key thing is you got the car dialed in for your driving needs and expectations.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh it is definitely the heat haha. Like I said, this setup untouched made 664whp on a cold run in cold weather, and made 594whp on a warm run in hot weather, so 70whp down untouched. Both runs were on dynojets with SAE correction so they shouldn't be to terribly far off one another. It was amazing the increases that were made from the pre to post tune adjustment yesterday though in the rough dynoing weather and that wasn't even with the actual boost the car makes on the street, but 1.5psi lower.

Good to know worst case scenario with high intake temps and hot weather you are making ~620-640whp and just going up with better weather. Now I am thinking about porting the supercharger for another 40whp and then having a couple other little things done for better intake temps. Just ordered a 1.7 gallon underhood coolant tank as well (Norcal SS tank).
Old 08-07-2013, 01:57 PM

I'll take your 620rwhp on a bad day any day lol! I've heard conflicting rwhp expectations from porting the blower. Some see big gains, others do not see a huge difference. I am inclined to believe that you will get at least a 25rwhp gain with all the other mods done to the engine. It's not terribly expensive, so you might as well do it. Your car is a monster!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It depends who ports the blower and how much they port it. Fasterproms takes 7lbs of aluminum out of the blower and he says on milder cars sees around 50whp and on my setup should expect 40whp. He said you get like almost two 5 gallon buckets full of shavings when they are done. Oh this is actually the blower and the snout though, not just the blower. They have seen 15whp increases from snout only porting and 25whp from doing the blower. It not only raises peak power but also increases low end a lot too because the car goes in to boost sooner and holds power longer.

He used to port them less and saw 30-40 and started porting more and saw the increases to the 40-50 range.

A quote from Jeremy

With our latest design on the last 3 vehicles all CTSVs: The first dropped .4-.5sec in the 1/4 mi and gained 4mph. The second gained between 30-45RWHP across the curve and over 40RWTQ across the curve, with no other modification.
The 3rd had a 2.55 pulley, Corsas, ported snout, and tune from a very well known vendor. Baselined at 520RWHP 490RWTQ. We reported the snout took about a 1.5lbs of alum out of it, ported the blower another -4lbs er so, put 850cc inj in there and retuned it and it redynoed at 589RWHP and about 570RWTQ with no headers and stk cats all in 90deg F florida weather.

Last edited by urbamworm; 08-07-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:29 PM

Okay, that makes sense. I wonder what the blower displacement will be increased to with that kind of port job.

Side Note:

Here are a few pics of my car. I just realized that I have been posting but never displayed my vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Got the CTS-V...comparison to my 2004 E55-caddy-amg-ne-run.jpg   Got the CTS-V...comparison to my 2004 E55-caddy-skyfall.jpg   Got the CTS-V...comparison to my 2004 E55-photo-1-copy.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Crazy gains to be made on these Caddy's

It depends who ports the blower and how much they port it. Fasterproms takes 7lbs of aluminum out of the blower and he says on milder cars sees around 50whp and on my setup should expect 40whp. He said you get like almost two 5 gallon buckets full of shavings when they are done. Oh this is actually the blower and the snout though, not just the blower. They have seen 15whp increases from snout only porting and 25whp from doing the blower. It not only raises peak power but also increases low end a lot too because the car goes in to boost sooner and holds power longer.

He used to port them less and saw 30-40 and started porting more and saw the increases to the 40-50 range.

A quote from Jeremy
620+ rwp in 90+ deg heat etc is no joke! Very impressive man
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 CTSV auto, 06 E55 white pano, 87 Grand national, 63 split window
Originally Posted by Hotsoss
Okay, that makes sense. I wonder what the blower displacement will be increased to with that kind of port job.

Side Note:

Here are a few pics of my car. I just realized that I have been posting but never displayed my vehicle.
Not being a fan of black I would have loved to find a silver car (white was first choice)...looks great!

I am bringing mine in for upper pulley 160 stat and tune early next week and then I will go from there...I have corsa exhaust and air raid cold air. For now I want to stay away from headers and lower pulley and get as much as I can out of it. Anything else that you guys (hotsoss, URB) recommend? If the porting things are easily done then maybe I will do that but it doesn't sound easy. Bigger injectors? I am sure that I don't need them now but I will in the future!

I know you guys would think to just ask this on the caddy forum but to be honest...this forum is just much better. I don't know what it is about that forum. Whether I have a Caddy or a benz...I will still be on this forum!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Not being a fan of black I would have loved to find a silver car (white was first choice)...looks great!
Thanks man! I originally wanted the gunmetal metallic silver color, but I decided on this car when I came across it while away for work in San Diego last year.

I am bringing mine in for upper pulley 160 stat and tune early next week and then I will go from there...I have corsa exhaust and air raid cold air. For now I want to stay away from headers and lower pulley and get as much as I can out of it. Anything else that you guys (hotsoss, URB) recommend? If the porting things are easily done then maybe I will do that but it doesn't sound easy. Bigger injectors? I am sure that I don't need them now but I will in the future!
What shop are you taking your car to? I would recommend Tune Time Performance in Lakewood, NJ. I've spoken with those guys on a number of occasions and I checked out their shop last month and was impressed. They have a special Stage 2 package that I am considering that I believe fellow MBworld member PetroC63/CTS-V has installed on his car. With drag radials his car ran something like 10.8 at 127+ in the quarter.
Their stage 2 package consists of:
1. 2.5 Upper Pulley (You can choose a 2.4 if you wish)
2. Idler Pulley
3. ID850 injectors (Definitely don't skip out on the injectors because you will likely be at close to maxed out with a 2.5 + you want room to grow with mods and peace of mind knowing that your engine is not starving for fuel up top)
4. 160 T-stat
5. NGK Plugs
6. Custom dyno tune for the ECU & TCU on Mustang dyno (They also dial in your tune on the street with you driving)
In addition to their Stage 2 package and what PetroC63 has:
7. Airaid - You got this already and corsa cat back.
8. Ported LSA Throttle body and Snout package (If you want a little more bang for your buck, upgrade to their ported LS7 or buy a Tony Mamo ported LS7 throttle body. I can PM his info and Tune Time number is you want it.)
You will also need to procure a Heat Exchanger. I would contact Ben (WeaponX) from the Caddy forums on some great deals. I purchased a center mounted heat exchanger during his last group by in April/May. I have yet to have it installed, but I know I will need it once I get started.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The swapping out of ported parts is going to be more labor intensive and more pricey as well.

If you have no plan of doing a crank pulley I would go for a 2.4 or 2.35 upper pulley, with your intake/exhaust and that the car will fly still with 575whp range power on a good tune of course. Also get a solid isolator to replace the factory unit that wears on the shaft, do it now while the snout is off to change the pulley, they are cheap anyway.

You need to get some injectors though with that setup, stock which are like 588cc are good for about 530whp. There are guys with a 2.55 upper pulley with intake/exhaust (not headers) on stock injectors but are most likely right on the border and the setup I just mentioned is right on the maxed out range on the upgraded 630cc injectors. I would go straight to a 850cc size to have plenty of headroom especially if you think there is the slightest chance you would change the crank pulley or do ported stuff down the road. They are more pricey though, so I guess decide how much money you want to spend and then determine the power level you want to be at and go from there.

You could be happy with a 2.5 upper and 630cc injector setup. My car was previously tuned with headers/exhaust, 2.5 upper, intake on 630cc maxed injectors to 563whp 566wtq, but you can get there without headers, they just had to stop there due to the injectors being maxed but guys without headers and that same setup have made basically the same power. The car trapped 124 at that power level on street tires.

Here is another little video a friend took of the exhaust a week or so ago.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM

The swapping out of ported parts is going to be more labor intensive and more pricey as well.

That is true, but Tune Time might still be running a special where they will port the snout and stock throttle body for like $425.00. Basically they are throwing in the port job on the throttle body for free.

Note: This deal might be over, but it is worth looking into.

If you have no plan of doing a crank pulley I would go for a 2.4 or 2.35 upper pulley, with your intake/exhaust and that the car will fly still with 575whp range power on a good tune of course. Also get a solid isolator to replace the factory unit that wears on the shaft, do it now while the snout is off to change the pulley, they are cheap anyway.
I agree. I’m actually considering the 2.4 and you can always downgrade to a 2.5 for like $120 if you decide to do the lower 9.1 or whatever ratio that I might consider down the road. Tune Time can swap that one out and put on a 2.5. I thought of the LPE 2.35, for maximum bang for buck, but that would require machining of the snout decreasing reliability for just a tad more than what a 2.4 can give you.

You need to get some injectors though with that setup, stock which are like 588cc are good for about 530whp. There are guys with a 2.55 upper pulley with intake/exhaust (not headers) on stock injectors but are most likely right on the border and the setup I just mentioned is right on the maxed out range on the upgraded 630cc injectors. I would go straight to a 850cc size to have plenty of headroom especially if you think there is the slightest chance you would change the crank pulley or do ported stuff down the road. They are more pricey though, so I guess decide how much money you want to spend and then determine the power level you want to be at and go from there.

I 100% agree.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Ive got a stock e55 in the Jacksonville area if you want to compare. Ill gladly drive either one of your vehichles too though. PM me
Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not sure where you live but it has been raining like crazy where I am. I live off Kernan north of Atlantic. I have a friend that will drive the E55 for me, he drove it a while back when I ran it vs my turbo Audi. I would be interested in seeing what my E55 does compared to your stock one though, mine isn't anything impressive, it has a handful of mods though. Mine is on 20s so they slow it down a little.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
I strongly recommend Tune Time. Matt is a tremendous tuner. I've heard he is very friendly with an engineer from GM regarding the V and trans tuning.

They use an all wheel drive Mustang dyno that reads low. I only put down 483rwhp & 504rwtq after my mods but I ran 10.8 @ 127 at Atco in -600 DA.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Yup. I remember Matt mentioning his GM engineering expert connections for GM vehicles.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is that supposed to be 583? Haha. 483 is like stock! I can't even imagine a dyno reading that ridiculously low, that is nuts. That is the ultimate heart breaker.

Last edited by urbamworm; 08-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Here is another little video a friend took of the exhaust a week or so ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7huUY...zZI35sCCrxH9SA
Why did he cut the vid just after you pulled out on the street? That broke my heart.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know, I didn't even know he was videoing me at first then you can see me put the window down for a second since I thought I saw his phone up facing my way. Should have let it roll for another 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Not sure where you live but it has been raining like crazy where I am. I live off Kernan north of Atlantic. I have a friend that will drive the E55 for me, he drove it a while back when I ran it vs my turbo Audi. I would be interested in seeing what my E55 does compared to your stock one though, mine isn't anything impressive, it has a handful of mods though. Mine is on 20s so they slow it down a little.
Pretty close considering the size of Jax, I'm in PVB, right off Butler. Incidentally, I've known Jeremy for about 5 or 6 years, I used to live in Tampa and had a twin turbo LS2 GTO he tuned to 735rwhp for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got the CTS-V...comparison to my 2004 E55