W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Retrofit for Automatic Trunk Closer.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by DamageHigh
Hello,

Finally I found wiring harness now I'm just missing that famous bolt and grommet, does anybody have a picture of actual bolt and grommet so I can fabricate something, thank you!
See my post above for some pictures. You'd probably be better off finding it in either a junk yard or messaging someone on eBay seeing if they will sell you the bolt/grommet... Above it was mentioned a 8mm bolt was used but, Ideally I would want the oem bolt/grommet.

-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
DamageHigh (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes W211
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
See my post above for some pictures. You'd probably be better off finding it in either a junk yard or messaging someone on eBay seeing if they will sell you the bolt/grommet... Above it was mentioned a 8mm bolt was used but, Ideally I would want the oem bolt/grommet.

-Nigel
Thank you for the replay! I did saw those pictures, but I can't see complete bolt. I did call couple of junkyards but no luck and on eBay there are only motors without bolt/grommet. Yes, 8mm bolt is "perfect" for the smaller heksagon hole in the trunk but hole on the motor arm is bigger, I will have to figure something out.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Two 2005 E320 CDI, ML63 4MATIC
I am adding the trunk power close module to my 05 w211 and have the same problem. Looking at the photos, the screw appears to be a custom shoulder bolt with a rubber bushing. Can't believe MB wouldn't sell this in service as it is a wear point. If I can't buy a replacement from MB my plan is to use nylon sleeves/washers and a shoulder bolt. Fortunately the attachment point is not visible after installation.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by turbo97se
Well after months of collecting bits and pieces together and finishing up a project at work, I set about installing my trunk closer.

I have attached a PDF of how to install the trunk closer on W211. This was one of the more challenging retrofits I had to do simply because there wasn't much documented in the WIS and I purchased some used parts and the harness they sent was completely wrong so that had me confused for a while.

This can also serve as a harness replacement guide for those that already have the closer and had issues with their harness getting cut. By the way, I have a spare harness (somehow, I ordered two) if anyone else wants to attempt this.

Had to break it down into 4 pdfs due to file size limitations. It probably messed up the numbering also for the steps ..
I wanted to thank you for putting all of this together. I previously owned a 2006 E55 that had the trunk closer. Recently I purchased another E55 and this was the one missing option. I did not realize how much I used it on the other car until I didn't have it.

In any event, I installed the system this weekend and it is working great. I never could have done it without your efforts.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E320 CDI
Although I took all my parts from a parts car I have, I wanted to thank you for making this post. Got me through it very quickly and I luckily didnt even have to have my car programmed for the power trunk. Once I plugged everything in it started working.