Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 AM
huy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Just picked up an E55 AMG

Hi guys,

So I have always wanted an E55 AMG, but feared the potential problems of this car, so I delayed the purchase for so long. After going through all my dream cars from my youth... Subaru WRX (big fan of rally and rally i did), Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, and Acura NSX... I felt a bit hopeless as I had no other car I wanted other than this problematic car. Well, I found a killer deal, so I went for it and here I am. I have been on here a while to diagnose my families fleet of Mercedes Benz's, so that explains my join date. This is my first, though.

My fears unfortunately came true on the drive home from the dealer. LOL. The panoramic sunroof is completely dead... which I honestly don't mind, but the sunshade is stuck open and I live in the desert, so it get a little warm. It also was not sealed tightly and got scary windy at 100mph+, but I think I fixed that by manually closing it. I say think because I have not tested it at such speeds since I got pulled over the night driving it home. I was let off with a warning, but I had not been pulled over for many years so now I am afraid to speed. I fixed some other small issues, but then a new one crept up... when I go full throttle to pass someone, it occasionally pops into neutral and I cannot accelerate again until I pull over and stop. This has happened twice so far and is pretty scary.

Anyways, I have an appointment with an Independent MB shop tomorrow to get the car checked out. Problem with getting the car on the weekend, most shops are closed... but I am Having a blast with the car so far and I cant wait to get it all sorted so I can mod it a little bit.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Did you get a pre purchase inspection?? If so, it should have caught some of the problems you are encountering...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55, 2011 Honda Push Mower (21 inch deck bishes)
Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully an Indy can point you in the right direction. As for the Pano Roof. Have you tried a full reset? Not sure it will even work for you since you said it's "dead", but I've been compiling some "tips and tricks" since I just got mine a few months ago. This may help a bit. You can just search for pano or sunroof in the doc.

http://hyperfiberbbq.com/uploads/fil...intenance.docx
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by typhoon43
Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully an Indy can point you in the right direction. As for the Pano Roof. Have you tried a full reset? Not sure it will even work for you since you said it's "dead", but I've been compiling some "tips and tricks" since I just got mine a few months ago. This may help a bit. You can just search for pano or sunroof in the doc.

http://hyperfiberbbq.com/uploads/fil...intenance.docx
Thanks for the offline word doc. I'm printing that to keep in the car.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM
huy

2004 E55 AMG
no i did not do a PPI, but i do know cars and MB's well enough to catch most of the problems i have... and i fixed most of the little things already. the transmission issue is the only thing that caught me off guard as i did not notice that on the test drive and it only happened twice so far in about a full tank of gas of mostly spirited driving. i knew the sunroof was bad, but did not think of the sunshade issue until i got back into the desert. i tried a reset but that did not do anything. i dont really care about getting the sunroof working, just the sunshade... but even then i could just limo tint the pano roof and i'd be fine. So, I'm not complaining, but I will be getting things fixed to my satisfaction. It is a great car. I much prefer it over the 63's I've driven and it is almost the beast the McLaren SLR is but far easier to drive and live with. lol.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by huy
but i do know cars and MB's well enough to catch most of the problems i have... .
Obviously not because these problems would've easily been caught by reputable Indy shop doing a PPI or yourself if you drove the car to test it out appropriately.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Welcome and Good luck ! I only open 3 times my pano roof in the past 4 years because afraid breaking it. How many miles has the car ?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Welcome

Likely the transmission does not have enough transmission fluid in it. It is typically caused by leak in the connector interface to the transmission. They are known to leak and were recall item. Call MB to check if the work was done.

Also check that the leak did not wick up to the TCU as that can happen and damage the TCU. Good luck

Check out post #18 here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...on-issues.html

Originally Posted by huy
... when I go full throttle to pass someone, it occasionally pops into neutral and I cannot accelerate again until I pull over and stop. This has happened twice so far and is pretty scary...

Last edited by turbo97se; 08-26-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM
huy

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
Obviously not because these problems would've easily been caught by reputable Indy shop doing a PPI or yourself if you drove the car to test it out appropriately.
no because there was no code detected on the trans by the indie shop, which is the only issue i encountered that i did not already know of. also, i encountered this problem twice after a whole tank of gas... not exactly typical for a test drive. thanks for your helpful insight though. glad to know there are some friendly people here.

Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Welcome and Good luck ! I only open 3 times my pano roof in the past 4 years because afraid breaking it. How many miles has the car ?
Thanks. 76,000 miles. Again, its not an issue for me, as I am fine leaving it closed.

Originally Posted by turbo97se
Welcome

Likely the transmission does not have enough transmission fluid in it. It is typically caused by leak in the connector interface to the transmission. They are known to leak and were recall item. Call MB to check if the work was done.

Also check that the leak did not wick up to the TCU as that can happen and damage the TCU. Good luck

Check out post #18 here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...on-issues.html
thanks i came to that conclusion searching. the indie shop scanned it and cleared the codes because the battery had died and triggered failure codes on everything. they say that alone could cause the issue. i could tell the trans service had been done so at least i know that its clean fluid, but the question is if it was done correctly. if the trans does it again, i will pursue it further.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
After the first weeks of driving it, the mod sickness will set in and then the real fun starts Welcome!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-13-2013, 12:34 PM
huy

2004 E55 AMG
hah, with mods so cheap its hard to resist... but i am still working on fixing the car up to par.

so i got the trans issue fixed, did the conductor plate, connector, etc. its nice to romp on it worry free... at least until it heatsoaks. lol. if i mod anything first, it is definitely the heat exchanger and pump.

my panoramic roof, i got working then opened it... but now it wont close, not even manually. doh! so that is the next thing planned. it wont be cheap, but i got the car low enough that i will still be ahead.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
I think the Bosch 010 pump is around 100$ ( if you don't feel like searching it is Toadster STICKY tread), its plug and play and pretty easy to install Welcome and congrats..... And mods being cheap
Old 09-14-2013, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
welcome
Old 09-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily 06 E55, Fun 12 GSXR750, Racing John Deere D110
Welcome man! I've owned my E55 for about a month now and was in the same boat as you. Have the car inspected by a shop that knows them inside and out. Do all the preventive maintenance that you can afford and she'll treat you well.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by huy
hah, with mods so cheap its hard to resist... but i am still working on fixing the car up to par.

so i got the trans issue fixed, did the conductor plate, connector, etc. its nice to romp on it worry free... at least until it heatsoaks. lol. if i mod anything first, it is definitely the heat exchanger and pump.

my panoramic roof, i got working then opened it... but now it wont close, not even manually. doh! so that is the next thing planned. it wont be cheap, but i got the car low enough that i will still be ahead.

Cheap?!?!? This is the most expensive car i've ever modded and i've had a lot of cars!

Still worth it though
Old 09-14-2013, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Use Chevron gas and add a 20oz can of Techron concentrate to a full tank. Do this 2-3 times and it will soften and dissolve carbon deposits and clean the fuel system. Also you might want to consider replacing the fuel pump/filter combos.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 AM
huy

2004 E55 AMG
$699 tune and pulley... $499 heat exchanger and pump... pretty reasonable to me. it gets expensive if you want to go further, but its not THAT bad to me.

kid in an EVO X wanted to race today and i smoked him like he was standing still. LOL. fun car. needs cooling mods bad though as I live in the desert and it heatsoaks like crazy.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by huy
$699 tune and pulley... $499 heat exchanger and pump... pretty reasonable to me. it gets expensive if you want to go further, but its not THAT bad to me.

kid in an EVO X wanted to race today and i smoked him like he was standing still. LOL. fun car. needs cooling mods bad though as I live in the desert and it heatsoaks like crazy.

The pulley is a $300-$400 part, a cobra pulley is under $200 top of the line. The tune theyre giving you is a base tune that may or may not work for you, base tunes barely work 90% of the time which is why you see guys on here making an addition 20-30whp from custom tuning. Those base maps were made when tuning first became available for the car and have been put on 100s of cars, should the price drop to $50-100 like most other brands. I think r&d has been covered by now.

Most heat exchanger cores for other cars sell for under $200-$250, they're marked up double just because we drive mercedes. The fact is now-a-days a new accord costs more than our cars haha

Those parts are no big deal, those are really good bang for the buck parts so I don't feel too guilty purchasing them. what I was mainly referring to was $2000 for headers, $1000+ for a lowering module, $2000 for a throttle body, $2500 for cam shafts. Please keep in mind I'm not trying to be confrontational, just putting some numbers out there. I knew all this prior to buying the car and had mod path planned before I even picked out my car. haha

Evos can be stupid fast for with no work. I'm happy you gave us a win to keep the mitsu*****s in line!

Originally Posted by AgSilver
Use Chevron gas and add a 20oz can of Techron concentrate to a full tank. Do this 2-3 times and it will soften and dissolve carbon deposits and clean the fuel system. Also you might want to consider replacing the fuel pump/filter combos.

Do those type of cleaners work well, 1-10 scale from your experience? Do you need to baby it during that tank of gas? Before I started my modding I was planning on pulling the injectors out, cleaning them and having the lines flushed. This would save me a ridiculous amount of work!

Thanks!

Last edited by S2K750; 09-15-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 PM
huy

2004 E55 AMG
Its not too bad to me, but my cars were more costly to mod. truth be told, if I had an S2k, it would be costly too because I have an affinity towards Spoon parts. My Fit is all Spooned out. Mods to the Fit exceed what I plan to spend on the AMG mods. I don't really see myself going too far beyond the cheap mods mentioned.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by AgSilver
Make sure you are getting the black bottle. I've noticed improvements using it. The blue bottle comes in every fill up with techron. The black bottle is a more concentrated version.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Supra94,Evo8,335i(daily)
Welcome and congrats on the purchase! Where are you in socal OP? hope you get some of those things taken care of. By the way what color is your car? I test drove a tectite grey near the inland empire that was shifting to neutral sometimes before I purchased the one I have now
Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Make sure you are getting the black bottle. I've noticed improvements using it. The blue bottle comes in every fill up with techron. The black bottle is a more concentrated version.
Yes - - - Only use the black bottle - - - works great in diesels too.

Do those type of cleaners work well, 1-10 scale from your experience? Do you need to baby it during that tank of gas? Before I started my modding I was planning on pulling the injectors out, cleaning them and having the lines flushed. This would save me a ridiculous amount of work!
Drive it any way you care to.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM

I just picked up the concentrated stuff from Walmart for 6.67 a bottle

Originally Posted by huy
Its not too bad to me, but my cars were more costly to mod. truth be told, if I had an S2k, it would be costly too because I have an affinity towards Spoon parts. My Fit is all Spooned out. Mods to the Fit exceed what I plan to spend on the AMG mods. I don't really see myself going too far beyond the cheap mods mentioned.
Omg haha yes, you have some good taste!

I have mostly average brand name stuff on most parts, higher end engine parts in the head and the only flashy part I have on my car are the ohlin coilovers which were worth every single penny.

Cheers!

Last edited by S2K750; 09-15-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:43 PM
huy

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by d613
Welcome and congrats on the purchase! Where are you in socal OP? hope you get some of those things taken care of. By the way what color is your car? I test drove a tectite grey near the inland empire that was shifting to neutral sometimes before I purchased the one I have now
Palm Springs, I got my car in Riverside. Tectite Grey. I got the tranny issue fixed, now its just the panorama and the car is good to go. I got it for a KILLER DEAL, so its not a big deal.

Originally Posted by S2K750
I just picked up the concentrated stuff from Walmart for 6.67 a bottle

Omg haha yes, you have some good taste!

I have mostly average brand name stuff on most parts, higher end engine parts in the head and the only flashy part I have on my car are the ohlin coilovers which were worth every single penny.

Cheers!
I just know the value in good parts. Learned the hard/ expensive way of having to do things over because I cheaped out the first time.

Originally Posted by moosejaw
thanks, will do!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:00 PM

Supra94,Evo8,335i(daily)
That was the car I test drove ! It was in horrible condition when they got it , I decided to pass , the airmatic pump Was out on the rear passenger side , emblems missing from seats , tranny to neutral while driving , I hope thy atleast fixed the broken viser lol .... Awesome color though
Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 PM
huy

2004 E55 AMG
i guess they fixed it up a little. i raped them on the deal, so its all good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just picked up an E55 AMG