Oil all over the engine...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
Oil all over the engine...

I popped open the hood and i see oil over the place. It looks as if the cap was open and it sprayed in. I did some searches I was thinking it would be coming from underneath but it def came from the motor oil cap area. My intake tube was soaked. Top of my air filter soaked. The top of the hood where the motor oil cap would be looks sprayed in oil. I'm going to take some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Oil all over the engine...-image.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Intake tube covered.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
It was just all over. The motor oil tank was dripping.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM

MB
Most likely coming from the filter housing (as apposed to the filler neck) due to the top o-ring not being seated in the correct groove and/or not being tight enough. The oil filler neck doesn't have enough pressure to blow oil out. The filter housing sure does though
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by msheredy
Most likely coming from the filter housing (as apposed to the filler neck) due to the top o-ring not being seated in the correct groove and/or not being tight enough. The oil filler neck doesn't have enough pressure to blow oil out. The filter housing sure does though
The filler neck was a waterfall of oil. The filter housing looks perfectly fine. There's all this sludge coming from right under that cover. Does the cover the cap turns into supposed to move. I can actually move the whole thing a couple inches
Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 PM

Daily 06 E55, Fun 12 GSXR750, Racing John Deere D110
wow you too =( This just happened to me, my pictures look exactly like yours.

Did you have smoke come out of your exhaust? How much oil did you lose? Has any of the oil been there? How long ago did you do an oil change?

I had smoke. I lost 3/4 of a quart. Mine was spotless 2 hours ago when I cleaned it. I did an oil change 800 miles ago.

Hopefully we can help each other.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by S2K750
wow you too =( This just happened to me, my pictures look exactly like yours.

Did you have smoke come out of your exhaust? How much oil did you lose? Has any of the oil been there? How long ago did you do an oil change?

I had smoke. I lost 3/4 of a quart. Mine was spotless 2 hours ago when I cleaned it. I did an oil change 800 miles ago.

Hopefully we can help each other.
Oh man that sucks bro. I cleaned it up. I added a quart. I started it and rev'd a bit to see if I can see where it's spraying up from but nothing. I took it around the block but hit it a bit and come back to oil and smoke everywhere!

I got a check engine light on also. I ordered the cable a couple days ago so I'll be able to read the code when I get it. Not sure how much oil I lost. My last oil change was 9 months ago and I only out maybe 4k miles in 9 months.

I didn't see any smoke out the exhaust I didn't even look. Is yours spraying up? Somehow my leak seems to be spraying due to pressure but there's really no sign of where its coming from cause everything is covered.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 PM

Daily 06 E55, Fun 12 GSXR750, Racing John Deere D110
Check my thread for an update... If you haven't changed you're oil lately then that's a good sign.

Have you ever noticed it before? Cel is prob from too low of a level.. Put the screen on temperature. With your keys go far right but don't turn on the car then all the way off. Then one click right... As soon as you go right keep hitting the reset button 3 or 4 times. You'll see voltage if you did it right. Hit the up button on steering wheel and you'll see oil level. Then turn the key all the way to right but don't start the motor... Give it 5 min and you'll get an exact reading

Sry for the incomplete sentences; on my cell.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by S2K750
Check my thread for an update... If you haven't changed you're oil lately then that's a good sign.

Have you ever noticed it before? Cel is prob from too low of a level.. Put the screen on temperature. With your keys go far right but don't turn on the car then all the way off. Then one click right... As soon as you go right keep hitting the reset button 3 or 4 times. You'll see voltage if you did it right. Hit the up button on steering wheel and you'll see oil level. Then turn the key all the way to right but don't start the motor... Give it 5 min and you'll get an exact reading

Sry for the incomplete sentences; on my cell.
I never seen this before no. There was some oil on the floor today. I popped the hood open and saw oil everywhere. I can't figure out where the hell it's spraying up from. Everything looks fine visually.

I'm going to try that later and see how much oil is in there. That's pretty cool. I did searches and all the leaks I found were nothing like this, mostly oil pan, or seal. So yours is doing exactly the same?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Possible PCV issue causing build up of crank case pressure that is why when you drive easy( low RPMs) there is little pressure. Might want to do the valve cover gaskets when problem solved.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EG8 | E46 | W211
If oil is coming from the filler neck, check the gasket for the cap. Furthermore, there is an identical gasket also sealing the filler neck to the valve cover. The filler neck is twisted onto the valve cover and locks into place. You will need to lift the base of the filler neck (it is spring loaded) over the protruding tooth on the valve cover and twist to remove it--check that gasket.

If you can move the valve cover, then your valve cover bolts are loose! I suppose it's possible for some bolts to loosen over time? I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets and like 2 bolts seemed pretty loose. Adding to that, if your valve cover gaskets are shot, then no amount of tightening the valve cover bolts will help because although the rubber gasket is sandwiched between the cover and head, the actual cover mounts directly to the head's surface.

There's no oil pressure under the valve cover, but there are definitely oil sloshing around when the motor is running with oil squirters, and such.
Originally Posted by Critter
Possible PCV issue causing build up of crank case pressure that is why when you drive easy( low RPMs) there is little pressure. Might want to do the valve cover gaskets when problem solved.
+1

Another thing to look at, possibly causing to much air pressure in the valve cover blowing oil out.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by GunMoto
If oil is coming from the filler neck, check the gasket for the cap. Furthermore, there is an identical gasket also sealing the filler neck to the valve cover. The filler neck is twisted onto the valve cover and locks into place. You will need to lift the base of the filler neck (it is spring loaded) over the protruding tooth on the valve cover and twist to remove it--check that gasket.

If you can move the valve cover, then your valve cover bolts are loose! I suppose it's possible for some bolts to loosen over time? I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets and like 2 bolts seemed pretty loose. Adding to that, if your valve cover gaskets are shot, then no amount of tightening the valve cover bolts will help because although the rubber gasket is sandwiched between the cover and head, the actual cover mounts directly to the head's surface.

There's no oil pressure under the valve cover, but there are definitely oil sloshing around when the motor is running with oil squirters, and such.+1

Another thing to look at, possibly causing to much air pressure in the valve cover blowing oil out.
I believe you guys are right. I can move my vavle cover and I know that's not good! I think I'll head to the dealer tom since its close to my job. The part number on the cover is A1120100164. I'll ask for the gaskets and bolts.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EG8 | E46 | W211
Originally Posted by E55AMGGG04
I believe you guys are right. I can move my vavle cover and I know that's not good! I think I'll head to the dealer tom since its close to my job. The part number on the cover is A1120100164. I'll ask for the gaskets and bolts.
No need to replace the bolts, one gasket each side, PLUS...there is also a vent cover mounted on top of the valve cover. There is no gasket available sealing the the vent cover and valve cover, instead a sealant is used.

This is not a difficult DIY if you're inclined--I followed BrianS's DIY, here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...lug-wires.html
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
No need to replace the bolts, one gasket each side, PLUS...there is also a vent cover mounted on top of the valve cover. There is no gasket available sealing the the vent cover and valve cover, instead a sealant is used.

This is not a difficult DIY if you're inclined--I followed BrianS's DIY, here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...lug-wires.html
Thanks for the helpful information brotha!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
PLUS...there is also a vent cover mounted on top of the valve cover. There is no gasket available sealing the vent cover and valve cover, instead a sealant is used.
And I was looking for a replacement gasket thank you sir
The following users liked this post:
Amir_AMG (09-10-2019)
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM

W211 E55
I have a similar leak due to the filler neck gasket. It is the same gasket as the oil cap gasket part number 1110180080
Old 09-26-2013, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by SPatykAMG
I have a similar leak due to the filler neck gasket. It is the same gasket as the oil cap gasket part number 1110180080
Did you replace them yet?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 AM

W211 E55
No will be picking them up tomorrow. I did however try to use RTV on it a few weeks ago when I first noticed it and this did work for a while but is leaking again so I will be changing the gasket.