Sponsored by:

10 months down with the E55 Wagon... some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 M Roadster, 2005 E55 AMG Estate
10 months down with the E55 Wagon... some questions

So in preparation for our first kid, i had to go off and buy a car that was kid-friendly (despite my skilled attempts at rationaliztion, an M Roadster or a 911 just aren't considered kid friendly )

Anyway, so this car appears to have belonged to a previous enthusiast. It's in immaculate shape, however I have a few small questions that I'm trying to get sorted out and I'm hopeful you guys can help.

1) The car has an aftermarket steering wheel, but I have no idea who makes it. Anyone know? It has a flat bottom, perforated leather on the sides, two round metal buttons indicating +/- for the paddle shifters.

2) Given that it has some aftermarket goodies, is there anyway of telling if the car has been chipped / reprogrammed or not?

3) My sun roof doesn't close all the way unless I hold down the button. I presume this is just a pinch sensor issue? Or is this known to be something else?

4) Anyone with kids have a good seat-back protection idea?

5) Is there such an option as a power cargo cover? It appears that there are tracks for the cargo cover to slide up and down, but mine doesn't actually do anything. I'm wondering if it's broken or some weird design/function.

6) Any must-have convenience mods? This thing is plenty fast as it is

PS) What jackass designed the rear tail gate shocks mechanism? You've got to pull the headliner to replace them?!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 wagon, Porsche 550 replica
The cargo cover is power, but it may be part of the power tailgate option. On mine it would go up and down slightly delayed from the power tailgate or you can "click" it out of the tracks to just leave it retracted.

For the sunroof I would suggest lubricating the tracks before trying anything more difficult. There is a pinch sensor it is likely just being tripped.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
1) The car has an aftermarket steering wheel, but I have no idea who makes it. Anyone know? It has a flat bottom, perforated leather on the sides, two round metal buttons indicating +/- for the paddle shifters.

2) Given that it has some aftermarket goodies, is there anyway of telling if the car has been chipped / reprogrammed or not? take someone who has an E55 and they will know - regardless it will be a screamer - stock or chipped

3) My sun roof doesn't close all the way unless I hold down the button. I presume this is just a pinch sensor issue? Or is this known to be something else? find someone with a STAR and have them reset it first - i had a similar issue on my 63 wagon

4) Anyone with kids have a good seat-back protection idea? here is what i use - one on the seat and one on seat back
Amazon.com: Summer Infant Elite DuoMat for Car Seat, Black: Baby Amazon.com: Summer Infant Elite DuoMat for Car Seat, Black: Baby
&
Amazon.com: BRICA Kick Mats (2 pack), Black: Baby Amazon.com: BRICA Kick Mats (2 pack), Black: Baby

5) Is there such an option as a power cargo cover? It appears that there are tracks for the cargo cover to slide up and down, but mine doesn't actually do anything. I'm wondering if it's broken or some weird design/function. mine sometimes has a delay - on the left side you need to get it to catch - sometimes it can be finicky

6) Any must-have convenience mods? This thing is plenty fast as it is
Bluetooth is the biggest convenience (if not can buy a puck on ebay for under 200), Valentine Radar Detector - bumperplugs.com if it has a font license plate - remove and fill those holes

PS) What jackass designed the rear tail gate shocks mechanism? You've got to pull the headliner to replace them?!