MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
74 or 80?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Denroll, who has had the FSP on his car for over a year, but did suffer from the hiccup as long has he has had the car says: The hiccup issue is resolved. I think he has over a week on the latest tune with no issue. He never got more than a day in the past. Said it is fixed.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
OK for all you data loggers , what increase in AIT are you seeing from running a FSP ? I'd love to run a bit more boost, but I think I need to work on more cooling and fuel modifications first...
Old 08-04-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cij911
OK for all you data loggers , what increase in AIT are you seeing from running a FSP ? I'd love to run a bit more boost, but I think I need to work on more cooling and fuel modifications first...
77mm FSP, Johnson cm30 with FTP H/E, havent split the system i normally see 15 degrees celcius above ambient (26farrenheit) while cruising on a heat soaked car.. With stock pulley ratio i use to see 7degrees celcius above ambient while heat soaked. Remember always spinnning the blower generates more heat. With the clutched pulley if i stayed off the throttle and didnt lay into it for an entire trip my iats wouldnt be far from ambient. Things heat up alot quicker with the FSP, even with the bypass valve bleeding off boost temps rise. My pump usually doesnt activate straight away on a cold start and by the time i get to the end of my street cruising my iats are 35degrees celcius above ambient. Little throttle tip activates the pump and iats return to appropriate levels.

I have had the FSP for 8 months now, i use to have the hiccup also, since my latest retune from eurocharged i have been hiccup free for 4000km

Last edited by RAWE55; 08-04-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 Cadillac CTS-V
How many in here are running the 180/84 combo? Need Opinions on it I'm thinking about running the combo but would like to hear some feedback from people that already run the combo ups/downs etc?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
anything below 15psi of boost,,,,we can keep the stock injectors...is that correct ?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
At 13.5 I would start to look into the looped rail and injectors

Last edited by Hulk; 08-04-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 PM

2006 cls 55 amg
anybody as monitor AFR @ +/- 15psi with or stock 440cc ? i will get a wideband to make sure
Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
If you goto 15psi with stock injectors, your tuner will tell you that he can't get the most out of your mods because you don't have enough fuel
Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 PM

2006 cls 55 amg
^^ ok thanks !!!!
Old 10-05-2016, 03:10 PM

Mercedes-Benz W211 E55 ///AMG V8 KOMPRESSOR
I'm interested with 80mm S/C Pulley and Stock Cranck pulley how many PSI???
Old 10-14-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
05 e55 amg
through the torque app, ive seen peak boost at 15.8lbs with the stock lower pulley and 77mm fsp...... in florida
Old 03-10-2017, 01:42 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I realize this is an old thread but...

I'm wondering if I can assume that the chart represents the boost level for early E55 blowers. The ones which end in 280. It seems as though the later cars, and the SL55 / S55, had another version of the blower, with internal gearing which is +4.65%.

If this chart is based on the early blower, then a later car would produce 4.65% more boost than is shown in the chart. If based on the later blower version, then the chart would show higher numbers than would be achieved with a 280 blower.

Am I correct in all of this? Which blower is represented?

-David
Old 03-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by SRQ AMG
I'm wondering if I can assume that the chart represents the boost level for early E55 blowers. The ones which end in 280. It seems as though the later cars, and the SL55 / S55, had another version of the blower, with internal gearing which is +4.65%.

If this chart is based on the early blower, then a later car would produce 4.65% more boost than is shown in the chart. If based on the later blower version, then the chart would show higher numbers than would be achieved with a 280 blower.

Am I correct in all of this? Which blower is represented?

-David
The difference is negligible between the two blowers, use this color coded chart as reference only for IAT reference. Yellow / Red will require killer chiller and meth.

Boost will vary with mods on car. I think I see 13psi ish with a 185mm CP on my car and the chart says I should have 15.5psi. I have LTH so I am pretty sure these are calculated with factory headers and TBs.

I read some where on here that 1mm = 0.2 PSI / 1PSI = 14.4 WHP

Seems pretty close to what my numbers are... hope this gives you an idea how to use the chart.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
The difference is negligible between the two blowers, use this color coded chart as reference only for IAT reference. Yellow / Red will require killer chiller and meth.

Boost will vary with mods on car. I think I see 13psi ish with a 185mm CP on my car and the chart says I should have 15.5psi. I have LTH so I am pretty sure these are calculated with factory headers and TBs.

I read some where on here that 1mm = 0.2 PSI / 1PSI = 14.4 WHP

Seems pretty close to what my numbers are... hope this gives you an idea how to use the chart.
Thanks for the response. I agree. The chart is best used to give some reference points for the delta between various pulley combos rather than an absolute statement of the performance characteristics of any of them.

The reality is that one of the largest issues for these cars is the heat generated by higher boost levels. The thing is that the heat is actually a factor of the pressure ratio. The pressure ratio is tied to the boost measurement but involves also the atmospheric pressure. There are some other factors as well but, thankfully, using boost and atmospheric pressure as a foundation for a basic estimate of pressure ratio is reasonable on this setup.

What I'm desperately trying to do is establish some balance between what I would call a "one pass wonder" which is a big pulley car that if hotlapped would immediately lose ground and a car that doesn't.

Right now I'm running an 83.5mm upper for a boost level just barely more than stock (REALLY close to stock on the cars with the faster blower gearing). With no cats and stock manifolds, the boost peaked around 12PSI at sea level. So, this would be a PR of about 1.8.

I am reviewing a couple of compressor maps, sadly neither of them is exactly the version of Lysholm that is in place on the M113k but as a reference for the delta between various PRs they will work. On the 83.5 pulley, I've hotlapped the car for 3 passes in fewer than 10 minutes in +1700DA with absolutely ZERO drop in trap speed.

I'd like to ride the fine line of adding boost right to the point of diminishing returns. If I can't at least make 2 passes without dropping off power in warmer weather, it's too much boost for me. I don't want to go crazy with trunk tanks and killer chillers, meth, etc. Just want as much as I can get before "crossing over".

What year is your 55 and what other mods are present? I'm curious about the combo which is producing that 13-ish number.

Thanks, man!

D-
Old 03-12-2017, 09:01 PM

2004 E55

What year is your 55 and what other mods are present? I'm curious about the combo which is producing that 13-ish number.

Thanks, man!

D-
Mods are nothing special on the kid hauler:
$5300 2004 E55 needing trans after that and alot of other work to get it road worthy I added, K&Ns, EC Heat Ex off Bosch 010, 2nd Heat Ex with CM30, EC LTH, No Cats or 2nd cats 3" pipe to resonator then 3" to tips (car came with no mufflers and cracked cat on passenger side) added Zietronix and Android head unit to run torque 10" touch screen below it running AFR logging suite... yep its a toy.

I just went to a 185mm CP (factory CP grenaded itself) and 550 injectors and I am about to upgrade my fuel system now to get more pressure to the rail to be safe. I do all the work myself so its just a fun project I bought at auction to keep off a crotch rocket that does over 90mph in 1st gear...not really looking down going that fast. I turned 35 and realized I enjoy going fast but would like to live to tell the tale I guess.

Just look up posts by hammerdown, it has mid 10 second go fast mods listed by users, I mean they all are pretty close in set ups. I am just doing reliable proven parts and not trying to reinvent the wheel.

I came from turbo world and think about spending the time and money to fabricate a setup with my cousin ( Nascar Fab'r) but sigh... that is not in the books for this car or my wallet.

IATs kill these cars & Meth/NOS is the only quick way to cool them off without a trunk tank from what I have thread stalked. I will prolly Good luck on your hunt... sounds like headers are in your near future... Look more into cooling off the IATs and keeping them under 100 degrees f after a 2nd to 3rd gear pull and you will have succeeded on your goal.

Headers,Drag Radials,Snow Meth injection activated via Zietronix alarm module, 172 or 175 Crank Pulley Dyno Tune and call it done... more than that change chassis's IMHO

Last edited by BoostedAero; 03-12-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Mods are nothing special on the kid hauler:
$5300 2004 E55 needing trans after that and alot of other work to get it road worthy I added, K&Ns, EC Heat Ex off Bosch 010, 2nd Heat Ex with CM30, EC LTH, No Cats or 2nd cats 3" pipe to resonator then 3" to tips (car came with no mufflers and cracked cat on passenger side) added Zietronix and Android head unit to run torque 10" touch screen below it running AFR logging suite... yep its a toy.

I just went to a 185mm CP (factory CP grenaded itself) and 550 injectors and I am about to upgrade my fuel system now to get more pressure to the rail to be safe. I do all the work myself so its just a fun project I bought at auction to keep off a crotch rocket that does over 90mph in 1st gear...not really looking down going that fast. I turned 35 and realized I enjoy going fast but would like to live to tell the tale I guess.

Just look up posts by hammerdown, it has mid 10 second go fast mods listed by users, I mean they all are pretty close in set ups. I am just doing reliable proven parts and not trying to reinvent the wheel.

I came from turbo world and think about spending the time and money to fabricate a setup with my cousin ( Nascar Fab'r) but sigh... that is not in the books for this car or my wallet.

IATs kill these cars & Meth/NOS is the only quick way to cool them off without a trunk tank from what I have thread stalked. I will prolly Good luck on your hunt... sounds like headers are in your near future... Look more into cooling off the IATs and keeping them under 100 degrees f after a 2nd to 3rd gear pull and you will have succeeded on your goal.

Headers,Drag Radials,Snow Meth injection activated via Zietronix alarm module, 172 or 175 Crank Pulley Dyno Tune and call it done... more than that change chassis's IMHO
Nice. So you're in a similar boat as far as mods and on a 2004 as well. I have been running an 83.5mm upper, EC tune, Upgraded HeatX, Bosch 010, K&Ns, no cats. I'm fairly experienced at the strip so I'll skip the drag radials. I cut consistent 1.6x short times on stock compound Conti's. My last trip the car ran a best of 11.4@122MPH. The air was good but the car definitely ran well too.

Since the 11.4@122MPH pass, I've added Kleemann mids, changed to a Race IQ tune and half-shafted the TB. I obviously expect to improve a little on the last pass but we'll see what DA we end up with.

I'm looking to change out the current 83.5mm upper to something smaller. That's why I'm looking at all of this.

Keeping temps down is definitely key. Nitrous has been on my radar for some time. If I end up getting really serious, that's the direction she'll go.

Thanks for the input.

D-
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
SRQ AMG,

"...1.6x short times on stock compound Conti's."

Well done.

TK
Old 03-13-2017, 06:46 PM

2004 E55
I cut consistent 1.6x short times on stock compound Conti's. My last trip the car ran a best of 11.4@122MPH. The air was good but the car definitely ran well too.

I'm looking to change out the current 83.5mm upper to something smaller. That's why I'm looking at all of this.

Keeping temps down is definitely key. Nitrous has been on my radar for some time. If I end up getting really serious, that's the direction she'll go.

Thanks for the input.

D-
I tend to blow stuff up too much so I am not ready to really beat on it at the track... yet.

HELL Yea 1.6x 60' is damn skippy on street tires
You would be in the 1.5x 60' at least with some stickies in the trunk... worth a thought so you dont just burn up your daily road tires =D

Are you able to hop right on and spin them up or do you have to sit in staging for a while?

If sitting in staging I would say add some pusher fans on the front of HExh as some guys have had success with I think I remember Spal 5.2" fans about $50 bucks on Amazon work and give you a good jump on lowering IATs.

If you go to a smaller SC pulley now you may loose time with heat soak on back to back pulls and end up in a worse state if you are running bracket style races...

Define goals and build your mods accordingly... sounds like from what you have said your goals are better cooling first with a small 50 shot then adding a pulley later if still unsatisfied. Anything over a 75 shot needs to be tuned for as I am sure you have read as well.

Keep up all the hard work my friend it is paying off!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BlackHammer
SRQ AMG,

"...1.6x short times on stock compound Conti's."

Well done.

TK
Thanks, man. Lots of practice, decent track prep helps a bit too.

D-
Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I tend to blow stuff up too much so I am not ready to really beat on it at the track... yet.

HELL Yea 1.6x 60' is damn skippy on street tires
You would be in the 1.5x 60' at least with some stickies in the trunk... worth a thought so you dont just burn up your daily road tires =D

Are you able to hop right on and spin them up or do you have to sit in staging for a while?

If sitting in staging I would say add some pusher fans on the front of HExh as some guys have had success with I think I remember Spal 5.2" fans about $50 bucks on Amazon work and give you a good jump on lowering IATs.

If you go to a smaller SC pulley now you may loose time with heat soak on back to back pulls and end up in a worse state if you are running bracket style races...

Define goals and build your mods accordingly... sounds like from what you have said your goals are better cooling first with a small 50 shot then adding a pulley later if still unsatisfied. Anything over a 75 shot needs to be tuned for as I am sure you have read as well.

Keep up all the hard work my friend it is paying off!
Sometimes the lanes are open, sometimes we wait for hours. Just depends on the day, lol. I use my factory cooling fans to pull a little air through the front if necessary. I control them through the climate control menu as mentioned in the thread that talks about "cool E55 tricks" or something like that. Running the fans a little higher while waiting also brings the coolant temp down a little.

The small fan idea is cool but that though they might improve starting IATs by a few degrees, I'm afraid they will become a restriction for airflow over the cooler at some speed and result in lowering passive cooling at higher speeds. Also, as stated, I don't have a cooling problem. I'm just trying not to create one.

This car is going to become my wife's DD in the next year or so. I'm looking to squeeze a little more out of it before that happens, see if I can snag a 10.x ET and then I'm moving on! Hence my lack of interest in going for broke on cooling, TB, blah, blah, lol.

IMHO, The right way to build it would be cams, ported heads, bigger TB, meth or nitrous and maybe no higher spin on the blower at all. I'm just not going down that road in my last few months of it being mine. I'll save my energy for whatever replaces it!

D-
Old 03-14-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Thumbs up That's truly impressive

Thanks, man. Lots of practice, decent track prep helps a bit too.

D-
What kind of pressure are you running in the tires and are you experiencing any wheel spin at all when you launch? Def interested in your technique as well.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:12 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by nanayaw6
What kind of pressure are you running in the tires and are you experiencing any wheel spin at all when you launch? Def interested in your technique as well.
Thanks!

I run around 25PSI hot.

I've run the car on 3 different sizes of Conti's. All are the same compound as stock - ContiSport DW. Similar results with all three but it's worth noting that all three are a little bigger than the stock 265/35/18.

I ran it first on 275/35/18s. i mostly cut 1.7x short times on those. I think there might have been one 1.6x.

Then on to 285/35/18s. This particular size (I later learned) is a reinforced tire used for trucks. It's a little heavier and beefier. As a result, the sidewall, despite being a bit taller, didn't flex as much as the 275s. The extra width was good but I was all 1.7x-1.8x on this one.

Finally I ran on a 295/35/18. This tire is wider than the 285 but lighter because it's not a truck crossover. The extra width, taller sidewall, lighter weight, and better sidewall flex make for a pretty decent combo. Almost all of my passes on this tire are 1.6x. The best of them are 1.66-1.67.

I drive around the water box, do a pretty long burnout with the ESP off and the car in M1. Suspension is set to comfort. After the burnout, I turn ESP back on, put the trans in S and stage shallow - just touching the second beam. Foot on the brake, foot on the gas, I stall it up JUST enough to take the slack out of the drivetrain. Probably about 1100 RPMs. When the lights drop, I roll into the throttle steady but quickly. Typically, it slips just a hair and then grabs and goes.

This is seriously off-topic. My apologies.

-David
The following users liked this post:
nanayaw6 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Thanks for Sharing. Though it's not the original subject of the thread, it is very useful information that many including myself will benefit from. Thank you David.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by nanayaw6
Thanks for Sharing. Though it's not the original subject of the thread, it is very useful information that many including myself will benefit from. Thank you David.
My pleasure!

D-