DRIFT OR RADIAL PULL/PUSH?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 (FST N OC)
DRIFT OR RADIAL PULL/PUSH?!

Gents,

I am battling a drifting (to the right) 211! I had Americas Tire put on 2 sets (Hankook Ventus V12) of front tires thinking it might have been a bad tire radial pull or push and that didnt help. Then I had the beast aligned and that helped a little. The alignment was set to factory specs and I was told it wasnt off by much and still it drifts more then usual for road crown. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

DG
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Who did the alignment? If it was the tire store that's the problem.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM

2005 E55 (FST N OC)
Originally Posted by Shifter
Who did the alignment? If it was the tire store that's the problem.
A Benz Euro shop that came highly recommended.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Most likely...

radial pull. There are some brands of tires these cars just don't like.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:52 AM

65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Did they road force balance the tires? The machine should show exactly how much pull the tires have. Try swapping the front tires just to test and see if it changes. If its a tire pull, it will.

What are your alignment specs? To compensate for road crown you want less camber on the lf and more caster on the rf. how much depends on how your road crowns are in your area and what is more of a issue, pulling and tire wear. Usually though you can have road crown compensation in your alignment while still being in spec.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 AM
SPONSOR

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
K-MAC Adjustment Kits

Keep in mind that all an alignment shop or dealer has to work with is front and rear Toe only adjustment!

K-MAC manufacture, to resolve steering pull ,premature edge tire wear along with improving directional control and brake/steering response, a front Camber and Caster adjuster kit and also a rear Camber Kit.

Rear includes extra Toe adjustment to compensate for the new found Camber adjustment facility.

Kits then allowing precise, ongoing adjustment for curb knock damage, altering height or extra neg. Camber on race days.

http://k-mac.com/mercedes/
Old 11-25-2013, 12:33 PM

2005 E55 (FST N OC)
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
radial pull. There are some brands of tires these cars just don't like.
what are you running up front if you dont mind me asking?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:06 PM

2005 E55 (FST N OC)
Originally Posted by stockC43
Did they road force balance the tires? The machine should show exactly how much pull the tires have. Try swapping the front tires just to test and see if it changes. If its a tire pull, it will.

What are your alignment specs? To compensate for road crown you want less camber on the lf and more caster on the rf. how much depends on how your road crowns are in your area and what is more of a issue, pulling and tire wear. Usually though you can have road crown compensation in your alignment while still being in spec.
Not sure about the road force balancing. They swapped tires from left to right and I had the same issue. I didnt get the alignment print out so I dont know the specs. I will see about getting that.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM

65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by DGSU4EA70
Not sure about the road force balancing. They swapped tires from left to right and I had the same issue. I didnt get the alignment print out so I dont know the specs. I will see about getting that.
If they swapped the front tires and the pull didn't change its alignment related. Or possibly your car sits a little lower on the right front. There is a romis tool used by dealers to check ride height before doing a alignment. Airmatic and abc cars can be tricky to align if the person isn't fimiular with the systems. If they align it to spec without properly leveling it and setting it to the proper ride height it's not really "in spec" and can give you issues.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 PM

2005 E55 (FST N OC)
If they swapped the front tires and the pull didn't change its alignment related. Or possibly your car sits a little lower on the right front. There is a romis tool used by dealers to check ride height before doing a alignment. Airmatic and abc cars can be tricky to align if the person isn't fimiular with the systems. If they align it to spec without properly leveling it and setting it to the proper ride height it's not really "in spec" and can give you issues.
StockC43 - Thanks for chiming in here and offering your expertise on the matter. I am awaiting the Benz from the Body Shop then I will tackle this issue with FULL force!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 PM

2005 E55 (FST N OC)
StockC43 - Just got my beast back from the repair shop as it was recently backed into. Just looking at the right front and measuring myself I can see that the right front sits a little lower (not by much) then the left. I am going to call the place that aligned my car and see if they have the Romis tool and can measure. As an indepedent Euro shop I would hope they do have the tool and measured, but maybe it was overlooked and or never done. I may just have to take to the dealership and consider that $145 wasted $$$!

Thanks again