Sponsored by:

Tune Advice for new guy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Tune Advice for new guy

Hi, I need to tune my E55 since I'm ordering a smaller clutched SC pulley but I'm concerned about the number of 'tuned' motors that have blown over the last coupe of years. I have noticed that actually quite a few 55K tuned motors have blown but don't know who their tune was with. So, I want to pick a tuner that has the best record and the lowest risk, specifically the least number of failed engines, but also gain good power for my daily driver.

For example, has anyone ever blown their engine or know someone who has with a tune from either of these tuners?
1. Euro-charged?
2. Weistec?
3. Logic Labs?
4. Other
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Subscribed for the storm.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
LOL!

Yes, a storm is coming for sure..... But let me throw in a couple of suggestions beforehand.

There are plenty of people who can "tune" your car. But make sure you know what you are asking for, and what they are providing.... A "box tune" is a lot different than a "Dyno tune".

If you don't have any data logging capability, then you are flying completely blind on aftermarket tuning. You have no idea what your AFRs are now...or what sort of IATs you've got. If your car has any issues (clogged fuel filter, or bad IC pump) a "box tune" won't know that..... It wouldn't take much to blow a motor...

You have a responsibility to datalog your car and understand what it's doing BEFORE you start messing with the factory tune. However, if you get a "Dyno tune" the tuner will have a little more ability to see issues with your car and avoid catastrophe.

Unless the shop has access to your car to data log and tune your car "in person" they are going to have to build your tune based on common assumptions. The more educated you are about your car, the more effectively they can build you a tune file that is safe AND powerful.

Data logging is a good idea even after a performance tune. If anything ever starts going wrong you'll get a chance to find it before it causes a catastrophic failure.

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 12-05-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2013, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
EFI-Live!

With that said, the majority of the ricer hoopty club members have tuning through EC.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by justinwrock
EFI-Live!
Yeah I dick around with that and HP Tuners too. VCM Suite 2.24 is sweet laptop time. :)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
bip great service great tune.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by justinwrock
EFI-Live!

With that said, the majority of the ricer hoopty club members have tuning through EC.
Ricer Hoopty member here, and no blown motor.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 e55 amg
I went with logic lab car is running good and strong had a different tune company before had issues check out logic lab tuning talk to aleks he knows his stuff.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Since you are located in Houston, i would say hello to a local tuner called "Eurocharged" and ask them your questions.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Crissus
Since you are located in Houston, i would say hello to a local tuner called "Eurocharged" and ask them your questions.
Agreed. IH-10 West @ Greenhouse Rd.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Pjnash
Hi, I need to tune my E55 since I'm ordering a smaller clutched SC pulley but I'm concerned about the number of 'tuned' motors that have blown over the last coupe of years. I have noticed that actually quite a few 55K tuned motors have blown but don't know who their tune was with. So, I want to pick a tuner that has the best record and the lowest risk, specifically the least number of failed engines, but also gain good power for my daily driver.

For example, has anyone ever blown their engine or know someone who has with a tune from either of these tuners?
1. Euro-charged?
2. Weistec?
3. Logic Labs?
4. Other
We can surely help you with that!

First read the boards! We have an awesome community here!

Look for a tuner that has tuned a ton of these and other cars! (not just a handful)

Check out each tuner and what they offer as far as a warranty! (should said stuff hit the fan!)

We are local to you, and that is also a huge selling factor. Should you need updates, questions, service etc we are a few minutes away!

Personally I love the fact that we are a global entity, and have eurocharged shops all over the world. We aren't going away any time soon! (We have 3 more international locations set to open the first half of the year too!) Plus, we have many people available on the forums, email, and in person to support the tune if needed!

Either way don't be scared tuning the beast! It makes a heck of a difference!!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
my vote is for kleemann but, its up to YOU to RESEARCH & decided who is safe and who is not. just search and see if any of these tuners have blown motors in the past and that will help u decide lol good luck
Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 e55 amg
Go to shop called m power Houston ask for Ted he does logic lab tunning he works on most of the amg in Houston he does a lot of performance work for e55
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I have a Eurocharged tune. Good service. Just keep in mind, if you go with an agressive tune, you have a better chance of hurting something. For example, the tune on my turbo truck is pretty conservative with timing and AFR, but I will not hurt it. I would rather take safe than another .1 seconds.

I have had no problems with my tune.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I personally like BI-Performance. We have the best customer service in the business, tune the fastest e55's in the country, and have the best track record as far safety with our tunes. Been tuning on benz's for many many years now.

Hit me up under my personal name or BI-Performance.

Craig