Sponsored by:

New Member Needing advice on Used E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Fusion Sport
New Member Needing advice on Used E63 AMG

Hey everyone, new member here needing some help and advice.

Thinking about driving up and looking at a used 2007 E63 AMG. It is silver and has 58,000 miles and a clean car fax...Price is $28,000 which seems like a very good deal for car that was very expensive a few short years back. I'm really surprised these cars depreciate so much as I've always looked that them as the cream of the crop and really like having a sports car in a sedan. I can't have a sports car as I have a little one and need a car seat in the back but having a little extra POP every once in a while in accelatration is always fun and to me these cars just look super classy both inside and outside....

Now on to another question. I am in outside sales so I'm always driving to peoples houses for sales calls for HVAC work. Would this car be too flashy for a salesman? I wouldn't want to give the oh, look at that nice car he must be making all kinds of money I don't want to buy from him. This kind of worries me a little bit about the AMG.

Now a whole other subject is the car is SILVER which to me screams classic Mercedes, but my wife thinks a silver mercedes screams Chic Car

Is she right?

Ok, so on to the rest of the questions. What should I be worried about with features on this car going bad with the mileage it is at? I have heard that AMG can be always at the shop and always costing an arm and a leg and has to go to a Mercedes dealership just for the oil change and they charge and arm and a leg and blah blah from non mercedes lovers. Would love to hear any information you guys can share with me about these awesome cars and what I should be looking for and looking out for.

I typically drive around 20-25k miles a year in outside sales so the miles will start racking up quick on this one. I would be at 75,000 in probably a year.

What mileage do these things really start having major problems.

One last question is the E55 worth looking at? I'm not too concerned with having a little more torque which I've heard the e55 has, but more of a really nice driving car grocery getter family car that has some crazy nice pep on the gas when you punch it occasionally

Sorry for rambling and looking forward to everyone's opionions/comments!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Drive what makes you happy, screw what other people think.
If people think you charge too much for your services, they are free to get more bids for the job.
I would buy from you BECAUSE you were driving the AMG. It would tell me you are a man with fine taste and probably willing to go the extra mile on any work you do for others.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by LoveAmg's

Now on to another question. I am in outside sales so I'm always driving to peoples houses for sales calls for HVAC work. Would this car be too flashy for a salesman? I wouldn't want to give the oh, look at that nice car he must be making all kinds of money I don't want to buy from him. This kind of worries me a little bit about the AMG.
You know I'm in a similar field and I had the same thoughts. I wasn't too worried as my E55 is not my daily driver, but I did wonder if some clients would be like "oh he's doing even better than me and showing off, I'm not giving him anymore money", but that didn't seem to happen. As a matter of fact I think some of them call me even more now because of it, especially the ones that have gone for a ride . They seem to look disappointed when i show up in a Honda Accord

And I hate to say it, but your wife is wrong, silver is the classic Mercedes color!

And as far as considering an E55, I definitely would! Not to start a flame war or anything but some pluses compared to a 63 are that they are a little less money to get into, cheaper to get more power from, slightly less to maintain (since you will be putting on lots of miles, you might want to consider), more reliable (just check up on the early 63 engines with their bolt problems), and I think it's just damn cool to have a supercharged car

As far as the reliability and cost of service of the cars, yes, they can cost a lot to fix. But you have to remember they aren't Kias, they are basically handbuilt supercars. Only a few thousand made, so there aren't just massive supplies of parts for them. But don't be afraid of doing some of the work yourself, like the oil changes you mentioned. Just check out some of the stickies up at the top of the forum and there are some excellent DIY guides for maintenance.

Whichever one you decide on, they are both probably some of the best sleeper cars out there and will beat 95% of what's on the road stock! You will definitely have fun with either!

Oh, and whatever you do, GET A PPI from a dealer or a recommended indy shop! If you get a vehicle that has been abused and needs a lot of work that you only find out after driving, you will definitely have a soured experience of AMG and German vehicles. I looked at a vehicle earlier this summer that ended up needing close to $13k in repair work once the PPI was done!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Ford Fusion Sport
Thanks guys so much for the valued opinions so far!

Keep them coming everyone. Any help and opinions is appreciated!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
The E63 won't tolerate 20-25k miles a year for very long...You'd be better of looking for an E350 with sport package, and you could probably pick up an '09 with an extended warranty for the same or less money. I've seen 2 E63's lately with over 100k miles...both came in on flatbeds...The repair costs on one exceeded the value of the car, the owner was offered $5k for it...it left on a flatbed, and the other is still sitting there, suspension fully collapsed, sitting on the ground waiting for the owner to decide what to do with it. Both have/had engine problems along with thousands of $$ with other issues...

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 12-07-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT8 Jeep
When I go to a meeting...I drive my Jeep Wrangler
Old 12-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Ford Fusion Sport
Originally Posted by 1BAMFR
When I go to a meeting...I drive my Jeep Wrangler
I am in the same boat that I wouldn't almost even want to drive it to appoinments, which is making this a hard decision.

It's kind of like I have a Rolex (Two-Tone Ceramic Submariner Black Dial) and I don't wear it on sales calls as I don't want to be flashy but just blend in...So I typically just wear a more basic watch and the Rolex on the weekends with the family....

It's part of this predicament I'm in....

I only want to have one car though...I may just end up going a different route and getting a more safer family car SUV (Explorer Limited or something) but just wanted to see everyones opinion as this seemed like a really good deal on a really nice car....It seems most of these can be had for somewhat good prices these days though!

I appreciate all the input and look forward to more!

Thanks for the above comment about the 2 E63's needed lots of work over 100k miles....Makes me really think as I'd be there with this car I'm looking at in just a few short years...

Do they E55's do better up in the higher range (80-120,000 plus miles?)
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
E55Greasemonkey is spot on for the E350 or even a E300 for a daily driver, still has the prestige and the safety factor for the little one in the back seat. All in all it just depends on how the E63 was driven, maintained, repaired. PPI for sure, extended warranty strongly considered. Good Luck
Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Isnt there a personal trainer on here that drives a Cavalier to see clientele?
Dk how he does it..
But ya, I am sure clients think you make too much and run away. Doesnt change the fact I drive what I want/enjoy.
Go for it!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by FASN8N
Drive what makes you happy, screw what other people think.
If people think you charge too much for your services, they are free to get more bids for the job.
I would buy from you BECAUSE you were driving the AMG. It would tell me you are a man with fine taste and probably willing to go the extra mile on any work you do for others.
Agreed!

And silver is definitely not a chic car. My wife is scared to drive mine.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:50 PM

2007 E63 AMG
I just one (E63) 2007 with 37,000 miles and payed $27,500 from a dealer here in Arlington VA.
I love it, except for the $2,700. dollar bill that's coming to replace my front brakes and rotors.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Originally Posted by Critter
E55Greasemonkey is spot on for the E350 or even a E300 for a daily driver, still has the prestige and the safety factor for the little one in the back seat. All in all it just depends on how the E63 was driven, maintained, repaired. PPI for sure, extended warranty strongly considered. Good Luck
+1 to this as well. Our AMG is not a daily driver. an E350 would be sufficient, although not nearly as fast or as fun. That said though, if you really want an all-in-one ride, an AMG sedan/wagon is very tough to beat, but as others have said, you will have to pay to play. That goes for any upscale German marque though.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
My car has 107,000 miles. Nothing wrong with it at all. Granted it has had a ton of maintenance done, but its always comes back to that same thing. You buy a low milage car vs a high milage well maintained car and end up with a way better high milage car.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I wonder if the original poster bought one back in 2013......
Old 08-18-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Originally Posted by Skizz
I wonder if the original poster bought one back in 2013......
Dammit another necro-bump and I didn't catch it.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
You're posting and sharing; it's all good.

I really do wonder if he ever hooked one.