MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Hiccup Issue - The Poll (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/524117-hiccup-issue-poll.html)

Crissus 12-16-2013 03:00 AM

Hiccup Issue - The Poll

Hi, this is a poll about the infamous hiccup issue, many users experience with their modded cars. Especially suspected in causing this, is a combination with a 82mm TB (MB OEM and other)

This poll is made to collect information, so it could be easier to track down the possible definite cause.

Please select the option that matches you.
If you don't have the "hiccup issue", then please don't vote - you are still free to post/answer in this topic obviously.

Further information:
-> https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-problems.html
-> https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ts-pics-5.html
... and is mentioned in many other topics

What is the hiccup issue?
- According to the users its a situation that happens after some miles of cruising between around 70mph to 90mph, which then puts the car into a super lean mode and sometimes triggers a CEL with the MB DTC "B28 Pressure Sensor Signal Implausible".

Dennis did some data logging and posted it in this post:
https://mbworld.org/forums/5797366-post45.html

Kelvin07 12-16-2013 03:23 AM

Quick question...

Does this happen to people with the same tune or different tunes?

OZZYAMG 12-16-2013 04:14 AM

Hello

To Crissus: Well done on setting up a poll to find out about the hiccup issue so many people are having. Unfortunately my input is irrelevant as I have not had the issue happen at all to me and I have done over 5000 miles since modifying my car. Maybe cars from the southern hemisphere aren't having the hiccup issue cause things flow differently down here?, for example when we flush our toilets in the southern hemisphere our water spins round the opposite direction than when you folk from the Northern Hemisphere flush your toilets!

Best of luck with everybody having the hiccup issue as I am sure this thread will help narrow down the culprit and then you guys can work out how to remove the bug that creates this hiccup.

Everybody with the problem must use the poll to get to the bottom of this.

Regards,

OZZYAMG

Tech-Tune 12-16-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kelvin07 (Post 5876607)
Quick question...

Yeah?... Does anyone know if Renntech's tune has this hiccup?

Denroll 12-16-2013 09:30 AM

I've had it happen at low speeds too. It happens when calculated load ramps up between 40 and 45% with low TPS

It has happened to me on tunes from two different tuners. It has also happened to someone in the Southern Hemisphere, lol.

I've got a case of expensive beer for whoever fixes this.

typhoon43 12-16-2013 09:35 AM

It's not a constant thing, but yes, it does happen occasionally to me as I'm pulling out and getting moving. I'd say less than 10 times in 9,500 miles of driving so far though.

Denroll 12-16-2013 09:38 AM

Understandable for you, living in a flat area. Going uphill triggers it mostly, although I've had it happen pulling away from a light and even at parking lot speeds.

ajm55 12-16-2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Denroll (Post 5876757)
Going uphill triggers it mostly, although I've had it happen pulling away from a light and even at parking lot speeds.

All the same at my end.

Crissus 12-16-2013 10:22 AM

Interesting results already, there are 2 people which have that issue with the STOCK TB?!
So the TB upgrade is not the (main) reason?

[speculation]maybe its really a defective Throttle Position Switch at the gas-pedal or wherever that unit sits? I've had them defective at the W208 CLKs - in that case they sit in the engine bay and there still was a small bowden-cable going to that unit and translating the cable-movement into fully electrical signals for the ECU(s)[/speculation]

MODERATORS: PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THE VALUE OF THAT VERY POLL ENTRY, AS OPPOSED TO MY WISH!
Thank you :-)

60nomad 12-16-2013 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kelvin07 (Post 5876607)
Quick question...

Personally I think that this is a huge factor in trying to figure this out. The poll should include 'who' tuned the car!

chawkins2001 12-16-2013 10:55 AM

I dont have the issue at all, had the car and modded from day one for nearly 3 years now.

cnterline 12-16-2013 11:20 AM

What code comes up,sorry didn't research what it was

ajm55 12-16-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by cnterline (Post 5876863)
What code comes up,sorry didn't research what it was

P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure

black06c230 12-16-2013 11:59 AM

I'm a little slow this AM and voted. Can you remove my vote from the poll?

chiromikey 12-16-2013 02:07 PM

Can someone post their data log graphs...I can't find mine.

Denroll 12-16-2013 02:59 PM

Here's a screenshot of hiccup mode. It happens at the first vertical line. Later, where the TPS jumps to 100, I was using what would normally get me about 20%. Boost spikes, also. Note that this log is with the fixed pulley and "hiccup mode" is much worse. It cuts fuel for some reason around 6-7psi with the fixed pulley and in hiccup mode. Regardless of pulley, the hiccup is triggered under the same conditions. Load gets to be about 35% with low TPS, and *BAM!*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...2.png~original

saleen01 12-16-2013 03:18 PM

i first noticed the hicup with only a 180mm pulley and a tune, no other mods
it became a little more noticeable when the car started making more hp.
now at 550HP and 650lbs of tq you can really get jerking....

kustom2k1 12-16-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by saleen01 (Post 5877115)
i first noticed the hicup with only a 180mm pulley and a tune, no other mods
it became a little more noticeable when the car started making more hp.
now at 550HP and 650lbs of tq you can really get jerking....

Thats not the hiccup. The hiccup = lean condition, erratic idle, and surging when foot is on the brake in drive at idle.

Its more of a virus than a hiccup, kinda like herpes, you can never get rid of it.

Denroll 12-16-2013 03:34 PM

^But that's at least fun to get/give.

Crissus 12-16-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by kustom2k1 (Post 5877118)
Thats not the hiccup. The hiccup = lean condition, erratic idle, and surging when foot is on the brake in drive at idle.

Its more of a virus than a hiccup, kinda like herpes, you can never get rid of it.

For me thats impressive that you guys can live with that. For me thats a big no-go. Solution has to be found ASAP.
What was the first record of such an hiccup issue?
BTW: Do all people with the MAP sensor issue (different thread in this board) have also the hiccup issue?

If theres no cure for it eventually, i will never tune my car, despite i already bought a lot of tuning stuff (yes including a brand new 82mm OEM TB :nix:)

Joncl 12-16-2013 04:17 PM

Since I think it is an ecu issue involving fuel and air, the O2 sensors would be involved at low load, does anyone have cats or race cats and still have a hiccup

chiromikey 12-16-2013 04:33 PM

When I would get the hiccup, it rarely caused the drivability issues you guys have and if it did it wasn't to the extent you guys speak of. It would happen only in 6th gear under similar load conditions to the graph above. I would feel a split second of a hesitation and it would trigger the map sensor code but most of the time the car would continue to drive normally after.

Kelvin07 12-16-2013 06:46 PM

Has anyone tried running their car WITHOUT a third party tune?

I mean, it is not ideal, but since it happens at such low rpms and benign conditions, I don't see how it could be a detriment to the car... it's not like the hiccup is beneficial for the engine, right?, the car goes into protection/hiccup for some reason, and it's not good...

Shifter 12-16-2013 08:05 PM

I've come to realize this is happening to me. It happens on the way to work every morning. Cruising 80-90. Steady throttle, you can feel it happen and the wideband goes off the scale lean momentarily. Then returns to normal. However if I then roll into it slow the af is way lean like 16-17. Low speed seems ok , like once I exit and come to a stop then reaccel

Bramage 12-16-2013 08:22 PM

You should have added: Have not had issue (mods). I would be curious to see what percentage have no problem

No issues w/

MB 82MM TB
TTM Fuel Rail / Injectors

For anyone that wants to take a couple minutes: I set this up:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KXJJMNH