Coilover to 'regular oem coil spring' conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bus Honda accord bus
Coilover to 'regular oem coil spring' conversion

Hello

I did a search and could not find an exact answer.

I have a w211 E55 that I converted from Airmatic to D2 coil overs about a year ago.

Well I'm starting to think the d2's are too firm, and I would rather have an oem 'old man ride' to drive girls around in.

I wondering if I could just buy the oem coil springs and shocks from a 'non load leveling suspension' and swap them in. The car is already programmed for a steel suspension and had lower rear control arms.

Since the 55k only came with airmatic, I'm thinking the coil springs from the e500 or the diesel would be adequate for the weight of the 55k?

What do y'all think?

Anyone interested in some D2 coil overs?? Good condition! They handle like a race car and you can slam the car to the ground if you want or keep it stock height by easily adjusting the height. Probably sell for $490 plus shipping

Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Before you do this, go test drive a base level e350 and decide if that ride quality is something you actually want and decide If the soft handling is something you want to try and control a car of our level with if you decide to get froggy with it.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
Very good advice.

When I do drive like a maniac, it's in almost perfectly straight lines, Just to feel the 500+ hp kick my *** to 100mph. Then I slow down and behave, at least for a minute or two.

A softer suspension would be welcome and I'm wiling to take a hit in hard core handling.

All the girls I drive around with say my car rides like "a tank" or "a horse a buggy" and I'm starting to agree with them.

Is there any other parts other than the front and rear shocks and coil springs I would need? Thanks
Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 e55 amg
I have d2 coilovers and I love them love the way it rides did you try adjusting them ? Also look at the kw v2 for e55 they also ride good.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
ez-go
Find out the inner diameter and length of your springs and just order a softer set. They are cheap as well. You might even be interested in a buffer spring, make a sort of dual rate setup. So much cheaper than what you're trying to do.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by Style_Front
Find out the inner diameter and length of your springs and just order a softer set. They are cheap as well. You might even be interested in a buffer spring, make a sort of dual rate setup. So much cheaper than what you're trying to do.
Agreed...Changing your spring rate could help a lot and I would recommend a progressive spring for a street car (especially an e55).
Old 12-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
ez-go
Just remember if you go softer you might not be able to ride as low, depending how lowered you are now.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Ride comfort is not spring based, it's shock tuning. Put a set of Digressive shocks on the car that are valved for the springs and you will have the proverbial cushy caddilac ride and then when you chuck it into a corner it will fin up quite nicely
Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Ride comfort is not spring based, it's shock tuning. Put a set of Digressive shocks on the car that are valved for the springs and you will have the proverbial cushy caddilac ride and then when you chuck it into a corner it will fin up quite nicely
From my experience ride quality is a result of a properly valved strut / shock and appropriate spring rate. I have no idea what spring rate the OP has on his / her car, but many aftermarket setups are way too stiff for a street setup IMHO. I personally am a fan of a progressive spring rate (that allows for some movement initially) with a softer dampening and rebound.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
The shocks are the ones included in the d2 kit.
They are adjustable and over the last month I have tried every adjustment front and rear between the softest setting and the firmest.

With the softest setting the car really feels like a boat. The shocks are too soft and the car bounces all over the place. Almost like a boat rocking back and forth from small waves. It drives like a crown vic with about 150k on the stock shocks.

With the firmest setting the car rides great!.. On perfectly smooth roads. When you hit a bump you feel like your in a tank that just crashed something out of its way.

And every setting combination in between has some driving characteristics of both worlds

I think the inherent problem is the springs are too short, which is required to be able to drop the suspension lower. This causes the spring to have to absorb the impact of a pot hole in a shorter distance, hence a firmer ride.

My 1998 jeep wrangler rides better than my Mercedes right now.

Ok so for solutions I could swap out the coil over springs for some softer ones, but this is not certain what results I'll exactly get. Might do the labor and still not be happy. If I swap a stock steel suspension in ill know what I'm getting. Plus I can sell my D2's and help pay for the stock springs. I know all the lady friends will be happy with the cushy Mercedes ride.

I think if you lived in an area with smooth roads then you would be great with the D2's

Thanks for all the good input.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
The factory airmatic rides amazing, why not just put that back in?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
04 E55 B07
Why don't you get a set of H&R springs and some bilstein sport shocks for the w211 e320/350 they're all over eBay.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
The factory airmatic rides amazing, why not just put that back in?
+1
The best souloution yet.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
+1 The best souloution yet.
Yes I miss the airmatic, best of both worlds. But I don't miss the constant repairing and $$$. Especially when the rest of the car keeps my wallet dry.

Yes a pair of bilstein and some oem coils I think will do the trick.

After extensive research on EPC, I think a set of coils for the sport non load leveling suspension and a few other bits will fill the bill.

Thanks for all the input
Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
You're doing something wrong if you're constantly repairing your airmatic like you say. They're not terribly problematic and the replacement struts have a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Cabriolet 2002 CLK Cabriolet
I'm reading this thread with great intrest. I have a E350 cab with the sport suspension and have the same complaint. I was going to try the oem luxury variant spring or some aftermarket equivalent. I wasn't sure the springs could be swapped so its good to hear it can be done.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
X5M, CLS55, GLA45, Ultra Classic, V Max, HR Navigator.
For as affordable as the replacement cost of the aftermarket airmatic replacements I would consider returning to the original setup. How nice is it to be able to push a button to select your height/firmness! And I still use the the system to get ovet the apron of some low approaches, that is pretty sweet.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
Thanks for all the input!

After much consideration I'm swapping some oem coil springs and shocks into my e55. Returning to airmatic is another option but money dictates otherwise as I sold all the airmatic stuff. A oem coil spring and shock setup is the easiest fastest replacement for me right now.

The race car d2's will be missed but I'll be happier with a soft suspension

I'll list the d2's for sale on eBay in a few days when I finish swapping.
Good condition, listing them with no reserve.
Attached Thumbnails Coilover to 'regular oem coil spring' conversion-image-1034789790.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
Swapped out the coilovers for the regular non-sport suspension from a wrecked car

Rides great!

The front ride height is exactly the same as a stock e55,
The rears I removed all the plastic spacers ontop of the coil spring at it sits just slightly higher than stock.

Overall very happy with the regular coil sprigs. They don't handle as well as the d2's but the ride is much better. Also it takes a week or two for everything to settle and now all is well
Attached Thumbnails Coilover to 'regular oem coil spring' conversion-image-3621074141.jpg