Considering a 2004 E55 AMG 112K mi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by jpnye06
New member here, Just wanted to say hello and get some input from other 211 owners. I've probably read and about 3 months worth of posts here and have gotten a majority of my Questions answered. Great info in the Stickies and the DIY Thread about common problems / solutions. A++

Okay so there are a few 2004 E55 AMG with roughly ~110 - 130K mi in that are going for 17K - 19K in the Portland Oregon Area. Some are 1 Owner, 2 owner and 4 owner cars all with good service history that have had the issues mentioned in the stickies addressed (Engine Mounts, Intercooler pump, SC Bearing, Airmatic shocks, etc... replaced at some point)

At first i was really hesitant about Mercedes as they have the rep for having frequent and expensive shop repairs but if you DIY or buy the parts and have a indy mechanic do the work it shouldn't be to bad. About the same as a normal Car.

So 2004 E55 AMG with 120Kish miles be good for a daily driver? Pull the trigger and get one.

Any owners have any regrets having one as a DD?

I've seen 2004 S55 AMG for 15K, clean title, 120K mi, but I read that parts are 2x - 3x the price because it is an S series?

I currently have a 2005 G35 Coupe with 84K as my DD and an 06 F150 as my weekend driver / tow rig.
Those prices are way too sky high. Make sure you negotiate them down severely. They should be in the low teens at the most with that kind of mileage.

Secondly, the car will have some problems. It'd be better if you budget $2000 at any time for unexpected repairs.

They make good daily drivers. I see no problem with the car as a daily driver. Depends on your lifestyle, if your work or life brings you to bad neighborhoods, I'd be wary where I park the car.

In general, the engine and transmission are reasonably reliable. However, electronics, brakes, and suspension are not reliable and are shockingly expensive to fix. Be wary.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 amg, gmc acadia, wrx, integra
nego them down big time. like everyone is saying, put money aside for incidentals. i bought mine last year and had got a pre purchase inspection done and a warranty through mercedes for peace of mind. fuel consumption wise, it loves to guzzle gas.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM

2003 E55 AMG
I daily drive mine and get a solid 13mpg with a heavuy foot...on the highway with the crusie set around 85-95 with some sprints here and there for challengers, I avg about 21-22 mpg. I have headers, 2nd cat deletes, eurocharged tune, huge HE for SC coolant and a belt wrap kit. She has about 68k on the odo.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM

G35 Coupe
All good info!!

So while searching I've came across an SLK and a CL that I like the looks of much better. Any opinions on E55 vs CL 55 vs SLK 55 (all AMG)

Cl 55 AMG - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/4264146543.html

SLK 55 AMG Brabus - http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/4254653721.html

I do believe the E55 is the fastest with the CL 55 being a close second?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM

2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Originally Posted by turbo97se

What needs bi-monthly service? Just oil due to mileage? (I assume you mean every 2 months). Mine can go for months at a time without any issues at all. I actually actively look for stuff to change out before it fails. Besides regular oil changes, there's not much else needed really within a 6 month period. Please correct me if I am wrong … I always look to improve
Mine could be an exception. Service A completed just after purchase. Couple months later front Airmatic strut failed and had to tow the car in. About 3 months after that the dual pulley failed/broke off after some light spirited driving and had to tow the car in. Ball joints are now gone and its due for Service B. I've owned it 9mos.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I daily mine as long as its not snowing etc. Its a perfect DD so long as you don't mind putting miles on it. I bought mine to drive it anyways.

Seems like you have done your homework so just make sure you get one that was taken care of and keep up with your maintenance and you should be good. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
159K miles all weather daily driven, previous service was end of July, Service was done today (And to replace a POS EvoSport pulley that they machined incorrectly but that's another story) Service consisted of Oil Change, Cabin filter and cabin activated charcoal filters, I added a few parts that needed to be ordered, Sunroof wind deflector, Springs and Guides. A trunk cargo net hold down and the Trim cover for the trunk striker plate. Total cost was less than $500 (The parts I pre-paid for were $150 of that) Aside from Gas and Tires the car cost's less than $.03/mile to run.... Add gas and tires and it's less than $.18/mile

By far my E55 has been the best, most reliable and entertaining car that I've owned and I've owned a lot. I laugh when people tell me how expensive this car is to run.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 AM

E55 AMG
Wink Pull the trigger have a blast! If you can twist a wrench hommie :)

I got my E a little over a year ago. I picked her up at 88k and have put 30k on her in a year... Daily driver for work pleasure etc. The car was maintained decently at the dealer and had motor mounts replaced and a few other recalls and stuff. When I got a hold of her I changed and flushed all fluids except for PS and Brake Fluid with the direction I got here. I've maintained all my cars since auto shop classes in high school. Below are the only things I've had to replace which are all normal with over 100k.

Supercharger bearing - replaced w/ EC pulley/tune
Both idler pulleys - replaced w/ ASP
Crank Position Sensor - Bosch
Intercooler pump - Bosch 010

I know brakes and ball joints are next on my list then start to take a look at small oil leaks i.e. valve covers and transmissions plate thing lol

IMO reliable car for me but all my cars have been reliable since I maintained them..

Last edited by rios; 01-06-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM

w211
Originally Posted by eljefe7070
There is one here in Virginia that is for sale. It is basically stock except the 20 inch Niche wheels on it. Seller is asking 12500 for it. Had I not bought mine I would have jumped on this one. 128K miles...I would buy it if there was work done and receipts to confirm it.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4246888518.html
Anyone have any more info on this car?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 PM

G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by rios
I got my E a little over a year ago. I picked her up at 88k and have put 30k on her in a year... Daily driver for work pleasure etc. The car was maintained decently at the dealer and had motor mounts replaced and a few other recalls and stuff. When I got a hold of her I changed and flushed all fluids except for PS and Brake Fluid with the direction I got here. I've maintained all my cars since auto shop classes in high school. Below are the only things I've had to replace which are all normal with over 100k.

Supercharger bearing - replaced w/ EC pulley/tune
Both idler pulleys - replaced w/ ASP
Crank Position Sensor - Bosch
Intercooler pump - Bosch 010

I know brakes and ball joints are next on my list then start to take a look at small oil leaks i.e. valve covers and transmissions plate thing lol

IMO reliable car for me but all my cars have been reliable since I maintained them..
Good info, What I like is the Wealth of info on the E55 and the common problems seem to be DIY or something an Independent mechanic can handle.

Hmm I've seen some E55 with 85K mi and others with 120K mi. Current Thought is which to get. The lower miles with out some of the things replaced. Or the higher miles one that has all the common things repaired. I've looked at a few cars and various miles and various service histories.

On the 80Kish cars I've noticed that no control arms or ball joints have been replaced and the cars with 120K miles have had it done along with a few other items.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM

E55 AMG
If the service history is there and solid with no questions go for it. Otherwise make sure that shiats done right yourself. When I got mine it was newly listed online. There was not a huge selection in the LA area back then. Mostly mom and pops used car dealers had some of them in my area... I was happy to find one at a Fiat dealer, owner traded in for fuel efficient car lol! I went to take a look, drove it and had to take her home. They parked my poor GS4 head to head with my E. I shuffled my belongings into the beast and never looked back. I don't think I will EVER own another brand...
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 PM

2008 Escalade, 2004 E55 AMG
I am looking into the possible leak on one of my fuel pumps. Super charger oil is on the way. Saving for the belt wrap kit and new idler pulleys

Doesn't it feel like we all want you to buy one and join the club?! Ha ha
Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 CLS 63, '91 E34 M5 Dinan Stroker
I think I'm in a similar position. This time last year, I started looking for E55s. I got scared off by fuel sending unit and airmatic problems in the higher mileage cars. Now I've seen falling prices and a few lower mileage examples show up in my area. I've still got the E55 bug and think I'd almost feel better about a higher mileage car with the major issues already sorted.

A perfect example is the car I bought a year ago while looking for an E55. I stumbled across a single-owner 73k mile C55 and jumped right in. The owner did ALL servicing between his MB dealer and a local Indy and I have all receipts in hand. He also did the other common wear items so all I've had to do is a B service, tranny flush, and preemptive replacement of plugs, wires, CPS valve covers and two front Michelin Pilot Sports. The car is like new.

If major issues are handled, I'd dive right into an E55. I guess if I do then someone will be getting a very well sorted C55 in excellent condition! :-)

Aaron

Last edited by adl320; 01-08-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 PM

2005 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jpnye06
LOL yeah I thought about MPG too.. My G35 says 17/25 I mostly get 16 - 18 as I drive city and have my foot in it all the time. Fun little car! E55 AMG is 15 in the City?

I don't mind a few hundred bucks ~$400ish here and there every 20K - 30K miles (Engine mount, Arnott Airmatic shock)

Its the $1,000+ Bills that I worry about. Engine, transmission. which sounds like they hold up.

I'll search the forums and look up where to get the STAR diagnostics stuff. Seen some china stuff for $400ish when doing a google search.
on a slightly modded car (pulleys, tune) im averaging 9.5mpg on 5455 all-city miles, driving hard might bring you to as low as 7.9mpg - lowest ive seen so far