Sponsored by:

Got screwed: Square wheel/tire combo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
ez-go
Got screwed: Square wheel/tire combo

I bought 4 18x9.5 Millenium from Mandrus along with some new hanhook tires. When the shop went to mount them it appears Mandrus engineered front and back wheels. This size is considered a back wheel and the spokes radius or convex inward at a steeper angle since it's expected to be a small rear caliper. The spokes made contact with the calipers big time. They basically did this to give the wheel a deeper dish. I thought the offset and width set the dish depth, nope! Apparently the width indicates smaller calipers and more dish? I want to punch a baby right now. I'm so mad. However if I would have bought the 18x8 of the very same wheel it would have cleared my caliper fine with it's softer convexed lines.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
They won't exchange them?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by Style_Front
I bought 4 18x9.5 Millenium from Mandrus along with some new hanhook tires. When the shop went to mount them it appears Mandrus engineered front and back wheels. This size is considered a back wheel and the spokes radius or convex inward at a steeper angle since it's expected to be a small rear caliper. The spokes made contact with the calipers big time. They basically did this to give the wheel a deeper dish. I thought the offset and width set the dish depth, nope! Apparently the width indicates smaller calipers and more dish? I want to punch a baby right now. I'm so mad. However if I would have bought the 18x8 of the very same wheel it would have cleared my caliper fine with it's softer convexed lines.
On expensive custom wheels that are designed for a particular car, the offset determines the design. Cheaper wheel companies have the same wheel and they just machine off to meet the offset necessary
Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
ez-go
18x8.5 35 offset clears the calipers, 18x9.5 35 offset does not clear. Normally this difference would only result in .5" difference in dish depth but mandrus changed the radius of the spokes around the expected smaller calipers gaining 1.5 inches of dish.

18x8.5 has 1" lip
18x9.5 has 2.5 lip

Yes they are reluctantly working with me to change them. I'm just making this strange nuance of mandrus/TSW wheels known in case any one else finds themselves shopping a square set from them.