Command powers dashboard and ignition?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Command powers dashboard and ignition?

Hi guys,

I'm installing the ******* http://*****************/ in my car for external video input in the factory stereo, I remove the CD changer and command, and everything came out pretty easily, no broken connectors, however the car is now "dead", no lights on the dashboard and you can't start the car with the key. Does the ignition and dashboard share power with the command system and required to start the car ? I did a bit of searching and didn't find any hits, so started to wonder if I blew a main fuse or relay while doing the removal by accident.

I'm about to put the system back in this weekend with the ******* installed, but wanted to check if I had more work ahead.

Also, my car has the external audio input in the glove box, but it doesn't work (switching to aux has no noise at all, not even static), I checked the connections at the back of the stereo and it looks pretty firmly plugged in, would it be advisable to just buy a new external input cable assuming the one I have has a break somewhere between the radio and the glove box ?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
aux is a 3 pin plug at the back of the comand bottom center, maybe disconnected
fuses... check the dash side panels.
******* had bad experience with, I use only navtv. good luck
why didnt you just get an opti 1 with a real radio?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:49 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Thanks, jbondox

wasn't familiar with the OPT1, may take a look, I do hate the factory setup but all the replacements (android based) got bad reviews and there didn't seem to be a decent integration with a high quality head unit. I'll do some research on the opt1.

Where did you get the opt1 ?

Last edited by realien; 01-18-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55, 2003 IS300
Have you checked the battery to make sure it didn't go dead? Sounds too simple, I know. But well worth checking.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:08 PM

2016 AMG GTS
AMG55TECH - thanks yes, I suspect is has to be the car is completely dead, nothing works at all, not a single light, dim or other wise, dashboard, main lights everything, the thing that was throwing me off is every bad battery I've had usually had enough to power the dashboard or make a light flicker.

I just tested it and am reading 2v across the terminals, charging for 2 hours hasn't made a difference, I guess its toast.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:06 PM

2016 AMG GTS
swapped out the battery, she started right up. Suprised me as I've never had a 100% dead battery in any car I've owned, always had a little juice for interior lights or dashboard. Thanks for the help fellas.