Sponsored by:

Opinions on gutting stock E55 mufflers.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
Bringing this up after a while..

So i got real excited about the sound stock43 got out of his mufflers and went ahead to do mine. Take exhaust down and start to cut, this isnt going to take long and ill get a little more agressive sound out of my beast. Or thats what i thought.... My car is a 02/03 build so its early. Ofcourse my mufflers are different then whats on the later cars :3 On mine there is no second chamber to modify: pipe comes straight to the muffler, perforated pipe all the way through hense why its so goddamn quiet. Really pissed me off.. now i just have to buy new mufflers when the time is right

Oh well, so if your car is a early 03 dont bother with this mod. Just thought id share. Heres some pics

Old 07-22-2020, 10:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 E55
Bump. Anyone else done this recently on their e55?
Old 07-22-2020, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 336 Posts
222 S-65
OP Give your car the Chinese long tube headers with Cats.... This does really good things for power as well as adds that Nascar noise we all know and love.

We did this for Jay's Brabus K-8. He couldn't be more tickled with the sound. I find it to be a bit noisy for my taste.

I had an E-55 emptied rear mufflers. It did not drone on the freeway but was much louder then standard any time I got on it. At times embarrassingly noisy. Jay's car with the headers is louder.
The following users liked this post:
MTBSully (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 03:55 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP Give your car the Chinese long tube headers with Cats.... This does really good things for power as well as adds that Nascar noise we all know and love.

We did this for Jay's Brabus K-8. He couldn't be more tickled with the sound. I find it to be a bit noisy for my taste.

I had an E-55 emptied rear mufflers. It did not drone on the freeway but was much louder then standard any time I got on it. At times embarrassingly noisy. Jay's car with the headers is louder.
I currently have longtubes, catless X pipe to stock resonator and stock mufflers. Is just about stock at idle and sounds good when cruising, sounds great at WOT, I just was looking for a tad more volume at WOT and cruising around. I was thinking about removing all of the fiberglass packing from the mufflers but leaving all piping intact. What did you do to your mufflers?
Old 07-22-2020, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MTBSully
I currently have longtubes, catless X pipe to stock resonator and stock mufflers. Is just about stock at idle and sounds good when cruising, sounds great at WOT, I just was looking for a tad more volume at WOT and cruising around. I was thinking about removing all of the fiberglass packing from the mufflers but leaving all piping intact. What did you do to your mufflers?
My E is set up like this. Sounds good at normal driving and good sound at WOT without being obnoxious. And no drone.
The following users liked this post:
MTBSully (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 08:07 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by tlambert
My E is set up like this. Sounds good at normal driving and good sound at WOT without being obnoxious. And no drone.
So you gutted your mufflers? Just removed the packing?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
No. Mufflers are stock.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 336 Posts
222 S-65
I didn't. Previous owner did. Mufflers cut open, fiberglass removed. Bits of pipe cut up in there too..... cut out parts got removed and things welded up such that there was no rattles but she was noisy when on the loud pedal.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
So you gutted your mufflers? Just removed the packing?
Originally Posted by tlambert
No. Mufflers are stock.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant that mine is set up like yours.

I personally wouldn’t cut them off and apart. If I was going to do all that work, I would change the mufflers for different ones. This isn’t meant to sound bad for others that have done this. It’s just a lot to do for little gain.

The way I see it, my car doesn’t have to be loud to out run other cars. Nice and quiet while cruising and some sound on WOT. Plus it shocks others when it isn’t all loud and noisy and you leave them. And any other time it’s quiet.
Don’t get me wrong I like loud V8 muscle cars. Just not in my E55.

Now if it has a Weistec blower, race IQ cams, add the noise I’m all for it.