Sponsored by:

New E63, new iPhone holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG E63
New E63, new iPhone holder

I have been reading things on this forum for a while now and a few months back I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my first Mercedes, a 2008 E63. I have traditionally owned BMW's and after my last, an 05 E60 I decided it was time to try something different.

Only modification I have made to the car so far is to make a custom iPhone holder for it. I drive a lot and use my phone pretty heavily. I wanted something that placed the phone in perfect line of site and very easy to get to. I have seen a lot about the ProClip solution and while very nice was not for me. I am sharing my install as I have learned so much about my car from what others have shared.

So far totally love the car, every once in a while I will think back on one of the BMW's but it doesn't last too long...
Attached Thumbnails New E63, new iPhone holder-image.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
You will likely get some responses to this, Where did you get that????? If made yourself is there a market for it, are you planning on doing more of them. If so how much???? Might be nice if the price is right. Gets the Bluetooth closer for newer Merc owners who don't have the puck in the armrest.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
You will likely get some responses to this, Where did you get that?????
Originally Posted by GeneSys
Only modification I have made to the car so far is to make a custom iPhone holder for it.
He made it himself.

Looks nice OP, well done.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 AM

2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Looks like a well-designed piece, and a super clean install. Only problem is you really can't use it if you wanted to plug it into the car's iPod cable since MB annoyingly installs their cable in the glove box...and it's a rather short cable at that. Definately a nice piece though, good job.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
By the way, I assume it was made with 3D printer?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 PM

AMG E63
Thank you for your responses. The holder itself was something I made free hand, no 3D printing. After making the first one I created a mold and used that mold to create the copy that is in the car now. I have created others in my spare time and my wife has found a little side business selling copies of the one I created for her car. I just get the orders no money

Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r
Looks like a well-designed piece, and a super clean install. Only problem is you really can't use it if you wanted to plug it into the car's iPod cable since MB annoyingly installs their cable in the glove box...and it's a rather short cable at that. Definately a nice piece though, good job.
This is actually exactly what is in my car, at first I simply connected a musicLink iPod to Bluetooth converter to the iPod wire and a charger to the base. What I found once opening the car up a little was the wire for the AUX connector in the govebox is actually just unplugged and sitting behind the radio itself. While I could have kept the bluetooth connection for the audio to stream in I simply plugged the cable for the AUX back into the radio. I went with this option because I also take a few business calls in the car. Based upon where the phone is and the fact that I am using the AUX input the sound quality works out great for my calls. Thinking back on it I believe it actually works better than the bluetooth I had in my BMW. If a solution requires the 30pin connector they do sell extension cables available over the internet. i have used those in the past for other projects.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.