Sponsored by:

Engine swap advise needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
Engine swap advise needed

A couple weeks ago I was really pushing the car hard passing up a group I think was trying to street race. The car just walked right through the pack easily and then once past them, lost a piston and smoked them out. It was really something to watch!!

I just got a used engine from an 05 S55 with 32,000 miles on it and I am going to swap that in to get the car back on the road.

Looking for info on what is different about the two platforms and what I will need to swap from the current engine to the new engine. Also looking for any tips to make the swap quick and easy like any special tools needed and a something that lists the different torque specs and so on.

The new engine is in great shape and came with the stock supercharger so I am planning on running that until I get through the warranty period which is 6 months then decide to power it back up or not.

Thanks!

G
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Oil pan is different
Flywheel may be different
Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
it would be interesting to see what let go in the engine that blew ? hole in piston , swallowed valve, connecting rod etc... what boost were you running and mods done ?
thanks --
Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Sorry about the engine. As we discussed and Shardul mentioned here you will need to swap oil pans and based on the difference in pans maybe even oil pump. Also the ss55 may have additional pump/s on the front cover that you may need to swap out. In terms of swapping motors its pretty straight forward and no special tools needed (as long as you have e torx etc which you basically need for anything Mercedes). If you plan on disassembling and reassembling motors you will need cam lock tools and a long torx for the head bolts
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Oh no. Sorry to hear that your engine went!!! if you need some used E55 oem parts, Benz Elite might have some laying around that could be put to use than sitting in their shop.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Both the upper and lower oil pan needs to be changed and also oil pump is different on the S class to E class. You will need take those off your engine and clean the oil pump out real well, since you blew your engine and may have particles in the pump. As Shardul and Blackbenzz mentioned.

All your front cover pumps are the same but if by chance you still have the ABC (power steering pump) on the S class, you will need to change it to your E class pump.

Last, as I recall the motor mount arms that bolt to the motor are different, so you will need those from your E class.

Make sure when you go to drop your new motor in and pull your old motor out , that you use a sheet of wood or metal plate to cover the engine side the of the radiator. Label all parts you remove real well and mark all your harness connectors. The TB and by pass valve connector are the same and easy to reverse what part that connect too. Again, label and mark everything!

When dropping new motor in, make sure you get it to hang pretty level or only have a slight drop to the rear, as to much rear angle will make things hard. Motor likes drops in pretty level.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Long tubes, race cats, 02s and emission ready

I have big custom 1 7/8 x 3" merge collector LT, race cats and all 02`s hooked up before and after cats. Did not need extenders and I can switch the cats out to race pipes when needed.

I drove about 60 miles and did a obd2 scan and all emissions are in ready mode. No SES light either. Have some gas smell at start up but no fume smell after cats are hot. Just sharing that my set up is working, since I hear many peopel say they can not get emission ready. Also make sure that your cats are not tunred off in your tune, if you want to be legal.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 03-21-2014, 11:02 AM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
The upper oil pan, is it a split block like the Nissan engines where the lower half is the bearing caps for the crank shaft, or is it just a simple two piece oil pan?

The S55 had an oil dip stick!!

G
Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Was this the Weistec S/C engine that blew? If so, interesting.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Just a two piece oil pan to accommodate the different model cars.

And Yea I was referring to ABC pump. I did the exact same deal you're doing now in my old e55. I should have some parts laying around if I didn't throw them away already so just let me know what you need.

Also I usually pull engine and trans together so I have a leveler on the engine hoist and angle the trans down.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 349 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Why not go with 07-08 SL55 Engine #: "113.995", its already got 80mm TB with snout...

ZAYED,,
Old 03-21-2014, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Was this the Weistec S/C engine that blew? If so, interesting.
yes it was a weistec blower look at his sig. from everything I read and hear they cant keep the IATs under control
Old 03-21-2014, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by AMG E Power
yes it was a weistec blower look at his sig. from everything I read and hear they cant keep the IATs under control
I can't see any sigs on my phone. Sorry to hear about Gadgets motor,
but I was given a bunch of s$&t when I said the motor is.at its power
Limit, and the end users were beta testing for Weistec.

Eh, what do I know anyways.

Sorry about your motor Gadget.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
I wouldn't bother keeping the stock blower on there for the sake of warranty. Since you're cracking into it and changing the oiling system to fit your car I give you a 00.00% chance of them paying you anything for a warranty claim if it ****s up. Put the big blower back on there with an alcohol kit like it should have had in the first place.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I take it you were not in "hiccup" mode when it happened. Do you know the cause of failure ?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
share some you jerk
Old 03-22-2014, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by berti_00
share some you jerk

Last edited by RedBullJnky; 03-22-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Man, that sucks. I'm one of the few here who can say "welcome to the club." It's kinda like a car guy's version of a battered women's shelter.

Just curious, were you logging when it went? Did the people you blew past get to see any smoke screen or anything? I have my melted piston sitting on my work bench as a trophy... right next to an actual trophy I got at the drag races one night.

Oh, before you start disconnecting everything, take a really good video and pics of what goes where. Might help later on.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:08 PM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
I was a tad concerned that once I posted looking for help that people would start blaming the supercharger system. The thing is I really don't and here is why.

I bought the car used with 80,000 miles on it. I am the third owner.

Did not know it at the time, but the intercooler pump was not working. Did not find this out until I started to mod it.

The overall health of the engine has been degrading slowly over time. When I first got it, the engine idled smooth and there was no oil in the intake system from the breathers.

Once I started to mod it I started to have all kinds of problems, mostly with the calibration. Kept getting odd check engine lights and the tuner took several tries to get the fuel mixture close to being right. Generally it was richer than 9.0:1. Then finally got it to run in the 11s at WOT. Thought I was golden, then started having these odd high power lean outs. I had a scan tool and wideband hooked up and when making a power run the timing bottomed out terribly and I looked at the wideband and it was super lean and would stay this way until I restarted the engine. I am sure it was knocking pretty badly. It would be fine for a while and then do it again. It was an on going thing. The boost was way up, and had the occasional massive lean out problem. I think this took its toll on the engine. This is when it stopped idling smooth and I started seeing oil in the intake. I believe there was some piston damage from all this. That tuner stopped trying to help me sort it out so I had to look elsewhere for help.

The folks at Weistec helped me out and got my ECU squared away. Got a calibration that solved the issues. Then my stock supercharger blew while road racing at VIR in VA.

The car was parked until I got the Wiestec supercharger installed. Overall I have been really happy with the system and the car ran fantastic. Still had the rough idle and the more I drove it the more oil would be blown into the intake.

I really have not had any problems with the Wiestec tune or supercharger system and I did run that 10 sec 1/4 mile with a very strong headwind at full weight and no nitrous. To me this is just amazing.

As time went on more and more oil would be blown into the intake and the rough idle continued. There was no doubt in my mind the engine has been on its way out for a while. I have been talking to Wiestec about a getting an engine that was freshened up with new pistons, rings and so on and send mine back as a core after the swap. Just got real busy and just did not get around to closing the deal.

A week prior to the big event my crank angle sensor failed and I took off the supercharger inlet to make it easier to get at the crank angle sensor and the inlet was loaded with engine oil. There was no doubt the engine was on its last leg and has been for a while. I told myself that I was going to take it easy on it until I got the new engine to put in, but just could not pass up the opportunity to humble some traditional muscle cars which I did with ease even with a cylinder going out. So I beat them with 7 cylinders and a nice smoke screen!!!

I am not upset. I knew this was coming and I do not regret any of it. The car is incredible. A 10 second car with close to 100,000 miles on it!!!

I have been trying to get a hold of Steve at Weistec to get one of his engines coming, but he has been a tad hard to get a hold of lately. Something about out of town guests and Vodka...

I stumbled across this used engine complete with supercharger with only 32,000 miles on it so I jumped on it. The plan is to get this in the car and figure out what to do with the original one. Maybe sleeve it and really beef it up. Speed is life!!!!

G
Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Buddy , you ran 10.6 with full weight that is great! Sometimes engines fail , it's the name of the game. Good for you getting a new motor and maybe get that weistec blower back on and run 10.5 or less at full weight. Label everything when you take out the motor so you don't get lost when putting the new one in
Good luck bud!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Gadget thanks for your reply. I am just wondering if you had replaced your fuel pumps and filter with new OEM units before you started modding (pre-weistec)? Or had your stock injectors sent out to be checked/flushed. Once I started doing heavier mods, I did all this, just to be safe, with my car at 100k miles as well. I think a lot of people start modding without getting the basic systems at 100%, including new plugs and wires as well...Just good insurance in my opinion, especially considering the age of these 55's now.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:41 PM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
Yes. I replaced both fuel pumps and the filter unit while trying to sort out the random lean out issue.

The stock injectors were replaced with larger ones when I did the hardware and software package upgrade. Later again replaced with the Weistec supercharger and injectors.

G
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
Well, I decided to skip putting in the old style E55 engine and decided to do a complete engine swap to the 6.2L V8. Had to change out the grill, wheels, brakes, hood, seats, sheet metal and some other things, but it turned out fantastic. Check it out:

I am going to pretty much return the E55 back to stock and offer it for sale. If anyone is interested in it as it sits now let me know. If you were planning on installing a built engine or drop forged parts in the the low mileage S55 engine and install it, this is a great time to jump on it.

It will be so very hard to part with. I really love the car.

G
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
congratz !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine swap advise needed