W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Royally pi**ed with Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2014 | 05:02 PM

2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Royally pi**ed with Mercedes

After paying over 2 grand to have the sensors replaced (which were both leaking), now I need a new gas tank and filler to the tune of 3 grand.

$5000 to fix huge flaws in a $100K product.

I called their customer care number and they're supposed to call me back. She told me all the criteria they use to determine whether they'll care.

Apparently since I bought it used AND it is my only Mercedes, the answer is a given.

They don't.

We'll see.

Anyone want a nice E55 wagon? I'll have it fixed first.

The funny thing is that when I took it in, they did a full court press on selling me a new E63 wagon.

Like that will EVER happen.
Old 03-21-2014 | 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
hey a local from oldsmar
Old 03-21-2014 | 05:32 PM

'17 GLS 63 AMG, '08 S65 AMG
If Mercedes doesn't cover it, get an independent to do the repair work and likely save a lot...
Old 03-21-2014 | 05:55 PM

W211 E55 Wagon, E46 M3
So basically, the car is leaking gasoline due to a problem with a defective sensor. Isn't this a safety issue that NHTSA might be interested in investigating? Perhaps this should be mentioned with Mercedes of N.A. and see if you can get some good will out of them.

I have a 2006 E55 wagon and I'm really concerned about this issue. Does it leak only if the gas tank is full?

Last edited by trackjunky; 03-22-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2014 | 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
Hot topic on here. Lots of posts. Basically need to replace driver side fuel sending unit and might as well replace the passenger side. Both are around $900 online for parts. Find an Indy to do or look for the DIY posts on here to try yourself. Usually filling only 75% will get rid of the gas smell. Since it's the top of the units that crack and emanate vapors and or fuel itself. Good luck getting any goodwill to cover costs. Some have replaced gas tanks and only to have it again months later.
Old 03-21-2014 | 06:37 PM

This is NOT the sensors. Both have been recently replaced. This is the tank now. Problem number 3.

I still loved the full court press to sell me a new one. Wow.
Old 03-21-2014 | 07:11 PM

'72 Fleedwoot
Well at least a new one will be under warranty so you won't have to pay big dollars on top of all the repair headaches.

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2014 | 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by sloanbj
Well at least a new one will be under warranty so you won't have to pay big dollars on top of all the repair headaches.
For a year only and if it breaks on the 13 month youre still holding the bag
Ask the dealer to show you the umpteen gas tanks they have in storage in the back.

As a goodwill they should comp you on the labor since they didn't find the cause of the problem
A smoke test would have found that out
Old 03-21-2014 | 07:48 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
To answer the fuel smell issue, 3/4 full usually will not smell up the garage. MY E350 had this issue. IF parked in the garage, I just didn't fill it up. Took care of that issue real quick.

MB Good WILL---- First it is up to the Service Manager at your dealership to decide to help you or not. No use in calling MBUSA. Stuttgart is not happy with MBUSA typically anyway. The SM will look at all the factors, and make a decision. That is a final decision so to speak. He has a budget of Good Will money from MB to use. If you call MBUSA, they will say there going to get back to you, then immediately call the Service Manager, who you just talked with, and ask the qualifying questions, that have already been discussed with you. Then they call you back and say the same thing.

This is how they look at things. The Conductor plate issues with the 722.9 transmission is a known faulty piece also. So Good Will would apply, but here are the criteria, mostly impossible to do.

1. Vehicle must have been purchased at a MB Dealer to start
2. IS it close to when the warranty ran out. If so, then likely to work with you. IF not then that part is a no go.
3. History of Dealer Purchases of MB, on your 6th to 7th vehicle. That will work wonders .Less than that, no go.
4. Big One--- has your vehicle seen maintenance at the dealership and is there a history of it. All records looked at, basically to determine if you spent money supporting MB at the dealer or did it yourself to save. More spent at the dealer, the more likely they will take care of you.

Above ALL else, just a warning, the Surveys given to you a week after a service, please don't give negative marks. Reason why is you may not live that close to another dealer. It has been known that a dealer will REFUSE to service your vehicle (14 e63, less than 3k miles under warranty), due to those neg marks. Warranty be dammed, they won't touch it. So this could put you into a difficult situation. Just take the car somewhere else, or to them for warranty work only, and save yourself the hassle. Its up to the dealer, so MB is not bad, just the specific dealer.

My dealers are perfect, as well as they can be. Taken care of every issue I have brought up before the survey. Did the work and even refunded my money to make up for the mistake. Cant beat that.

Hopefully that helps some people out, I just went through this myself, and discovered the process.
Old 03-21-2014 | 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
How much you want for it?
Old 03-22-2014 | 05:01 AM

Nah, I'm not going to sell it. Heat of the moment. It's too cool to sell. I'll bite the bullet.

I know that I have no recourse. Maybe the NHTSA will get off their a** and do something about it.

Expensive, but I've done all the service at a dealer, for a complex set of reasons.

But I didn't buy it new.

Their criteria is bad. The ONE thing they should consider is: Is he in the market for another Mercedes......

It is a little surprising. I have to believe Hyundai would stand behind their cars.
Old 03-22-2014 | 10:51 AM

W211 E55 Wagon, E46 M3
Originally Posted by tscales
Nah, I'm not going to sell it. Heat of the moment. It's too cool to sell. I'll bite the bullet.

I know that I have no recourse. Maybe the NHTSA will get off their a** and do something about it.

Expensive, but I've done all the service at a dealer, for a complex set of reasons.

But I didn't buy it new.

Their criteria is bad. The ONE thing they should consider is: Is he in the market for another Mercedes......

It is a little surprising. I have to believe Hyundai would stand behind their cars.
Yea, don't sell it! Did you already submit a complaint to NHTSA?
Old 03-22-2014 | 11:00 AM

e55 amg
I just don't fill it up past 3/4 and problems solved didn't cost me a thing.

not that i like to ignore problems but 900-1800 is just way to much to spend to fix something so easily avoidable
Old 03-24-2014 | 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by S13REMI
I just don't fill it up past 3/4 and problems solved didn't cost me a thing.

not that i like to ignore problems but 900-1800 is just way to much to spend to fix something so easily avoidable
I'm just not willing to risk it, given we load it up with our five kids.

And yes, I filed with the NHTSA over 18 months ago -- lot of good that did me.
Old 03-24-2014 | 03:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
wait, so you want them to warranty a 9year old car? I understand its a common issue and there are some class action law suits under way, but the dealer or manufacturer would be the last place I go to after 9 years.
Old 03-24-2014 | 04:00 PM

I don't want them to warranty it, I want them to recall it. Over 300 people have reported the sensor FUEL leaks to the NHTSA.

As a comparison, I own a Nissan NPV Van. They recalled it because the seat warmers didn't get warm enough.

Not a fire risk. Not a safety risk. They just didn't believe that the quality of the seat warmers was up to their standards. So, they recalled it.

Mercedes has cars that are LEAKING FUEL. They've been doing so for years.

And yes, I do believe that $8K in repair for fuel system issues is beyond expectations.

And yes, I know I could go to an Indy, but I am still hopeful Mercedes will WAKE UP.

They sure do hit me up to buy new ones all the time.
Old 03-24-2014 | 04:21 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by tscales
I don't want them to warranty it, I want them to recall it. Over 300 people have reported the sensor FUEL leaks to the NHTSA.

As a comparison, I own a Nissan NPV Van. They recalled it because the seat warmers didn't get warm enough.

Not a fire risk. Not a safety risk. They just didn't believe that the quality of the seat warmers was up to their standards. So, they recalled it.

Mercedes has cars that are LEAKING FUEL. They've been doing so for years.

And yes, I do believe that $8K in repair for fuel system issues is beyond expectations.

And yes, I know I could go to an Indy, but I am still hopeful Mercedes will WAKE UP.

They sure do hit me up to buy new ones all the time.
I think you are being reasonable for this. Yes its 9 years old, but back in 07 MB knew about it. That would have made it 2-3 years old then. However, I believe its a fuel vapor leak, letting the fumes out, lets say into the garage. Yes might possibly be a fire hazard, but if you only fill 3/4 up, I am not so sure there is any danger from it. Another words, your kids will not suffer from it. Don't quote me on that for sure, but I just don't think you would have anything to worry about.

Aside from that, Your money would be likely well spent replacing the issues due to the children concern. No amount of money is worth something happening to them. So if you replace it, call it peace of mind.

Just my .02
Old 03-24-2014 | 04:38 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee
You should buy some vaseline. It wont solve your problem but it will make working with a dealership more tolerable.
Old 03-25-2014 | 08:22 AM

MBUSA called me back and assured me they would be working with the dealership on my issue.

What that means is they'll have a nice laugh and then tell me they can't do anything.

Maybe I'll be surprised and my next post will be "I love Mercedes"