W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

CPO warranty Do's and don'ts??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2014 | 05:19 AM

C32, C55, 08 E63
CPO warranty Do's and don'ts??

Hey all, I just purchased my 08 E63 about 25 days ago and the car was a CPO car, so it obviously came with the 1 year CPO warranty. I'm planning to go back to the dealer tomorrow to extend the CPO warranty to 3 years before the 30 day cut off. I have a few questions on what is and Isn't covered, and what kind of mods I can get away with without risking a void of the warranty.

1.) Both the salesman and the finance manager said the CPO warranty was unlimited miles, even on the extensions but from the reading I've done so far they all seem to have mileage restrictions, which is true?

2.) I was told everything was covered minus the wear and tear items, like belts, tires, brakes ect... I'm wonder what exactly falls into this "wear item" category? Say im at 90k miles and one of my shocks go out and the service records show they should of been changed at 75k miles, does this mean i'm stuck with the bill??? Or if a bushing blows out on an A-arm and the cars at 105K are they going to say its a wear item because of the mileage on the car??

3.) Mods.... I'm wonder what can I get away with without worrying about getting stuck with a bill for some head bolts or god forbid a blown motor because I removed the resonator or put some K&N's in...

realistically I would like to remove the resonator, and possibly get an exhaust but im sure removing the secondary cats and headers will be out of the question. I'd also like to lower the car, and I think i'm going to go with the L1 unit because as far as I can tell from my research its the only true plug and play unit without having to tap into current wires. Even with the plug and play, would I need to removed this before taking the car in for warranty work or just set it back to stock height?

Are there any other warranty friendly mods that I could feel comfortable doing short of the regular, intake, exhaust ELM???

Sorry for the lengthy post, its been years since ive owned a car with a warranty as all of my cars have been older highly modded vehicles or were cars I never worried about using the warranty on because I felt completely comfortable doing all repairs myself. I'd love to mod the car to no end but I bought it to be a reliable daily driver that I wouldnt have to worry about fixing on my dime, so i'd like to do what I can but stay within the reasonable confines of what the warranty will allow. Before I go drop a couple grand on extending this warranty i'd really like to know what I can get away with and what will be covered coming from you guys as opposed to some sales guy that's just after my money.

TIA!!!
Old 04-28-2014 | 11:05 AM

2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Your best bet would be to speak with the dealer's warranty representative. He/she would be able to answer all of your questions with more accuracy than most anyone here could.

I do know for a fact that normal wear-and-tear items (brakes/tires/belts/etc.) and regularly scheduled services are not covered under MB warranty (CPO or not). Typically the only modifications you can get away with are wheels and window tint, but again the dealer's warranty rep could elaborate further.
Old 04-28-2014 | 11:27 PM

C32, C55, 08 E63
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r
Your best bet would be to speak with the dealer's warranty representative. He/she would be able to answer all of your questions with more accuracy than most anyone here could.

I do know for a fact that normal wear-and-tear items (brakes/tires/belts/etc.) and regularly scheduled services are not covered under MB warranty (CPO or not). Typically the only modifications you can get away with are wheels and window tint, but again the dealer's warranty rep could elaborate further.
I plan to do just that when I go in but I was wondering what people have experienced in the past, mostly on the mod front. I think the experiences of people hold a lot more weight when it comes to things like this as opposed to a person trying to sell you something...
Old 04-29-2014 | 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
How much is the ext CPO warranty ? When they try to sell you the warranty they will promise anything but when something goes wrong different story.
If the ext warranty cost more than $3k, not worth in my opinion. If you have a good indy mechanic, $3K is a lot of repairs. To be honest, I have owned my car for 5 years, I spent more money in modding than repair and maintenance. Some other members will tell you worth every penny and show you how much the warranty cover thousand of $$$ because they did the repairs in the dealer. If you have a good indy shop, the cost is not even half. Example, engine mount my dealer over here charge $800 but indy shop less than $300. Good luck !
Old 04-29-2014 | 01:01 AM

C32, C55, 08 E63
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
How much is the ext CPO warranty ? When they try to sell you the warranty they will promise anything but when something goes wrong different story.
If the ext warranty cost more than $3k, not worth in my opinion. If you have a good indy mechanic, $3K is a lot of repairs. To be honest, I have owned my car for 5 years, I spent more money in modding than repair and maintenance. Some other members will tell you worth every penny and show you how much the warranty cover thousand of $$$ because they did the repairs in the dealer. If you have a good indy shop, the cost is not even half. Example, engine mount my dealer over here charge $800 but indy shop less than $300. Good luck !
I know they will tell you anything to get you to spend your money thats why im looking for some feedback from members as to how the CPO is with the above questions. To extend the CPO to 3 years (so an additional 2 years) its 3800-4K which im honestly not worried about. I could fix most mechanical things my self no problem but 4k for 3 years of coverage is well worth it in my opinion because I can take the car in for every little thing and not have to pay a dime. I have some great indy shops that do great work but id rather pay 4K in insurance and know I wont have to spend another dime on the car for 3 years as opposed to running the risk of me getting stuck with a bill for all 4 new shocks, or cams/lifters ect.

The car only has 50k on it but i drive around 20k a year, so that would keep me protected to 110k which is when im sure a lot of things like shocks, mounts, bushings and the sort will start to need replacing. I'd also help the resale of the car if i were to sell it after 2 years.

Last edited by Enigma94; 04-29-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2014 | 11:42 AM

2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Originally Posted by Enigma94
The car only has 50k on it but i drive around 20k a year, so that would keep me protected to 110k which is when im sure a lot of things like shocks, mounts, bushings and the sort will start to need replacing. I'd also help the resale of the car if i were to sell it after 2 years.
Ain't that the truth. Mine has recently crested the 120K-mile mark and I've had to replace all of this, and more.
Old 05-01-2014 | 12:39 AM

C32, C55, 08 E63
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r
Ain't that the truth. Mine has recently crested the 120K-mile mark and I've had to replace all of this, and more.
This is the exact reason for paying the money and getting the extra 2 years.

So I went in and spoke with the finance manager and it ended up being a little bit more than I had remembered but I went ahead and extended it 2 more years for 4400. He did confirm that it's indeed unlimited miles which was a big selling point on the extension.

He also explained that everything is covered on the car, minus the wear items. He said as long as the item isnt a required maintenance item then it will be covered regardless of miles.

So I'll talk to the SA when I take the car in as far as the mods and what I can get away with and go from there as far as what mods to go with.
Old 05-01-2014 | 06:25 AM

2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
Trim items are not usually covered though. The CPO warranty on my wifes E500 more than paid for itself. Both front struts, both rear airbags, fuel sending unit, engine oil pump, power steering pump, navigation antenna, belt tensioner, idler pulley, engine/ transmission mounts, AC compressor pulley.... were all replaced at no charge to me.
Old 05-01-2014 | 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was at the dealership for service 2 days ago and while I was drooling over a new E63S sitting on the showroom floor, I chatted with the salesman about CPO cars, etc.

He indicated that MBZ has changed their policy on CPOs.... there is NO mileage limitation anymore! For guys that log a ton of miles, this is good news and makes the CPO option much more practical...

-G
Old 05-01-2014 | 10:45 AM

Car free at the moment
If you drive 20K+ per year, I think you will get your money out of the CPO.

I've had a couple of CPO cars, going all the way back to when it was called Starmark. It's a very good extended warranty, but is not as comprehensive as the original factory warranty. Certain things are not covered. Some are typical of extended warranties - paint and trim, for example. Others are specific exceptions. Two that come to mind are the sunroof and the dynamic seats. Mercedes publishes a CPO warranty booklet with all this specific information. You may be able to find it on the MBUSA website, otherwise ask your dealer for it. BTW, your dealer is a douche for telling you it covers everything. They are either a liar or ignorant, neither of which is acceptable.
Old 05-01-2014 | 06:11 PM

C32, C55, 08 E63
When I said everything I meant everything mechanical. He did tell me the differences between the CPO and the new warranty was the fact that the trim/cosmetic stuff was not covered and I didn't expect it to be. He said they just changed the CPO programs to unlimited mileage about a month or two ago which is why when I did some research on here I didn't find another example of one without mileage restrictions.

It's good to know that more people have gotten their money's worth out of the CPO as I feel I really will now with no mileage restrictions. It's great to be able to take the car on weekend trips without having to be worried about not putting the miles on the car. I've owned the car for a little over a month and have put close to 2k on it with another big 1k mile road trip coming up next week so it should be in the 110k+ range at the end months of the warranty if I don't decide to sell it before the 100k mark.

Now my only concern is with the modifications and what I can get away with. I'd like to get an exhaust for the car eventually so I'll have to feel that out with the service advisor when I take the car in for service in 2 weeks. I hadn't planned on tuning the car or doing anything of that nature so the only real concern would be the exhaust and a possible intake. If I get the L1 ELM then I'll just pull it off the car before i take the car in, seems like a pretty easy install/removal so that shouldn't be an issue.