Sponsored by:

3000 Stall Torque Converter Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
Thanks for the write up can you please tell me how the car feels on the highway now from 55mph On

Thanks
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1994 E500, 2012 e63
[QUOTE=AndreNY;6063132]Thanks for the write up can you please tell me how the car feels on the highway now from 55mph On

Feels exactly the same as stock on hwy
Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by Georgee6086
^ glad to see you are enjoying the converter, I installed mine last week and seem to be having drive ability issues now. Rpm's fluctuate slightly while cruising steady, trans seems a little confused on shifts (under part throttle). Called EC for a new tcu tune and they said that those issues cannot be resolved and Tourque converters are bad in general and should only be used in drag racing.
Good news is the car woke right up and takes off like a bat out of hell under hard acelleration and if I drive in manual mode there are no issues what so ever. Spoke with Brooke at UPD and told him my issues and he offered me a full refund on the product. I decided to keep it in the car for now because if I pull it out and put back the old I'm still out of pocket around $1000 from shipping costs and labour.
Sorry to hear. I have had my TC for about 10 months and no issues. But, after install, my Indy shop said their was some stumbling with my car and it ended up being a vacuum leak. By chance, maybe you can look for a vacuum leak?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Georgee6086
^ glad to see you are enjoying the converter, I installed mine last week and seem to be having drive ability issues now. Rpm's fluctuate slightly while cruising steady, trans seems a little confused on shifts (under part throttle). Called EC for a new tcu tune and they said that those issues cannot be resolved and Tourque converters are bad in general and should only be used in drag racing.
Good news is the car woke right up and takes off like a bat out of hell under hard acelleration and if I drive in manual mode there are no issues what so ever. Spoke with Brooke at UPD and told him my issues and he offered me a full refund on the product. I decided to keep it in the car for now because if I pull it out and put back the old I'm still out of pocket around $1000 from shipping costs and labour.
Did you try having the trans. shift adaptations reset? This will require a dealer visit or someone with Star Diagnosis.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 PM

1994 E500, 2012 e63
First thing I did was reset the trans adaptions and triple checked fluid level, as for vaccume leaks I have not checked but the cars the the shop now were pulling off the blower to tap for meth And rewrite my pump and fans and will make sure there's no leaks after that. Fluid is all brand new and filter as well . (previous fluid looked brand new almost a shame to dump it). I haven't had too much seat time with the new converter so hopefully after a few more key cycles the trans will re adapt and smooth things out. Brooke at upd also offered to exchange the converter for a new one incase mine is defected but by the time I remove mine and ship it back and wait for the new one ill be out atleast another $800 between shipping and labour and the car will be down for at least 3 weeks and my buddy's shop is supper busy and I really don't want to have my car pushed around the parKing lot with the tranny outt everyday and I'm sure my buddy dosent want the liability and hassle. I'll keep it in for now and see what happens. Spoke with BIP for a tcu tune and they can't guarantee a fix but think it will solve the issues. After the meth install and a few track runs if I'm not happy with the times Ill probably get a small sc pulley injectors and a new ecu tune from them and hopefully get a good deal on a tcu tune. If the tcu tune dosent work then who knows either live with it or scrap it. It's still a blast to drive just enoying when puttering around in auto mode.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, E55 AMG
mine did take some time to settle down and adjust. i remember driving home right after the install, the first 2 - 3 miles on the freeway and the needle would fluctuate a few hundred RPM at a time, not smooth at all. i remember asking myself 'is this normal it cant be' likely the TCC (torque converter clutch) locking and unlocking as its not sure of itself.. i drove it for a few more days and it smoothed out a hell of alot!! the RPM doesnt even move now on the highway! By the time i got the TCU tune the car was already as smooth as butter. Give it some time, it should sort itself, these converters are very very streetable!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 AM

C63 AMG, E55 AMG
btw no issues with mine, running strong for well over a month now! - the car adjusted to it more then i thought it would. I say car drives a hell of alot better then with the stock converter. very smooth take offs with light throttle and very scary when you give it some
Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Thanks guys for the reviews!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
well being that you have a EC Tune im sure that's your problem....
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM

1994 E500, 2012 e63
Originally Posted by AndreNY
well being that you have a EC Tune im sure that's your problem....
I'm not sure what tcu tune is on the car, everything else is renntech so I can only assume its renntech. Previous owner didn't know jack, I imported the car to Canada back in November 2013 from North Carolina.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 AM

1994 E500, 2012 e63
Originally Posted by RAWE55
mine did take some time to settle down and adjust. i remember driving home right after the install, the first 2 - 3 miles on the freeway and the needle would fluctuate a few hundred RPM at a time, not smooth at all. i remember asking myself 'is this normal it cant be' likely the TCC (torque converter clutch) locking and unlocking as its not sure of itself.. i drove it for a few more days and it smoothed out a hell of alot!! the RPM doesnt even move now on the highway! By the time i got the TCU tune the car was already as smooth as butter. Give it some time, it should sort itself, these converters are very very streetable!
I have already put approx 100 miles on the car (two days) and hope your right I will keep my fingers crossed
Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 AM

C63 AMG, E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Denroll
In this video, a professional driver on a closed course performs a demonstration of the torque converter:

Mercedes E55 AMG huge burnout - YouTube

Ive watched this about 20+ times already! Car sounds Brutal with that exhaust setup Dennis
Old 06-06-2014, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
DR - From the video it actually looks like the car is slower because it is just spinning the tires all the way down the road. Have you actually logged 0 to 60 or 0 to 100 times to compare with the stock TQ converter ?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Ets?

Any before after quarter mile data?

Any na 55's try this yet?

On my mod list.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
I have some before headers mind you and stall I ran 11.659 at 119.93mph 1.733 sixty foot dead hook no tire spin minus 500 da roughly at atco. stall convertor no other changes worn posi still doing one legged burnouts. 800feet positive da 11.59 at 120.13mph. 1.695 spinning 60ft. Best sixty foot with stall has been been 1.643 spinning 900 positive da. I have yet to run car with my tcu tune and I need new tires and good prep because im barely on the convertor and its a animal coming out.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by RAWE55
Ive watched this about 20+ times already! Car sounds Brutal with that exhaust setup Dennis
Haha, thanks.

Originally Posted by cij911
DR - From the video it actually looks like the car is slower because it is just spinning the tires all the way down the road.
All I was doing in that vid was burning rubber because, well, it's fun.

I have not logged any acceleration runs, but I would like to have a V-box. I can tell you that the "butt V-box" tells me it's faster. Anyone know of any smartphone apps that record runs using GPS or the internal gyros?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:59 PM

C63 AMG, E55 AMG
The Dash Command App im using is capable, you can also switch between 0-60 and 1/4 mile down the bottom left
Attached Thumbnails 3000 Stall Torque Converter Review-image.jpg  

Last edited by RAWE55; 06-06-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:11 PM

C63 AMG, E55 AMG
Attachment with the 1/4mile option selected.
Attached Thumbnails 3000 Stall Torque Converter Review-image.jpg  

Last edited by RAWE55; 06-06-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
You guys have me curious about doing something like this. I'll admit in all my hot rodding days I have never played around with this, my cars were always manual transmissions.

I don't have a race car, I have a c43 with a n/a 55 motor that I primarily use for summer months commuting and pleasure driving. I do drive it spirited most of the time, but I in no way want to affect the docile attitude and "stockness" of the driveability. I don't want people riding to be- why is it doing that? etc. I'd want people to not even know something is there. I feel I don't really need anything off the line but I wonder what the difference is like just in part throttle cruising and also the difference off the line, even though I feel I don't need anything. I really don't give it much in first gear in normal driving situations just because it's too much as it is.. unless I'm really wanting to.

Some of your guys' reviews sound very positive. I'd say I'm on the fence, I just don't want to do it, and then regret it.

Some other questions..
I assume these all retain the clutch inside the converter?
Who makes converters for these car? 722.6 trans. links?
Who make the best converter? (in your opinion)

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
Denroll, your Dashdaq has 1/4 mile timing. Even has a tree that drops. I tried it and it is pretty damn accurate. BUT - you aint gonna hook up no-how, so its not worth checking it out

You have "before" numbers from your track, if I am not mistaken, you will be back there next week. Post up how it does.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
DR - From the video it actually looks like the car is slower because it is just spinning the tires all the way down the road. Have you actually logged 0 to 60 or 0 to 100 times to compare with the stock TQ converter ?
I would have to agree with you on this.
Originally Posted by betrezra
Any before after quarter mile data?

Any na 55's try this yet?

On my mod list.
I've had a converter since before anybody was selling them here. It takes more throttle to get moving from the light. When I ran my car NA with a converter it really sucked because the car would rev up and barely move.
Originally Posted by 99lightning
I have some before headers mind you and stall I ran 11.659 at 119.93mph 1.733 sixty foot dead hook no tire spin minus 500 da roughly at atco. stall convertor no other changes worn posi still doing one legged burnouts. 800feet positive da 11.59 at 120.13mph. 1.695 spinning 60ft. Best sixty foot with stall has been been 1.643 spinning 900 positive da. I have yet to run car with my tcu tune and I need new tires and good prep because im barely on the convertor and its a animal coming out.
There's barely any difference in mph or ET. The best 60's I've seen in an E55 are in cars with no converter modification
Originally Posted by benzslo
You guys have me curious about doing something like this. I'll admit in all my hot rodding days I have never played around with this, my cars were always manual transmissions.

I don't have a race car, I have a c43 with a n/a 55 motor that I primarily use for summer months commuting and pleasure driving. I do drive it spirited most of the time, but I in no way want to affect the docile attitude and "stockness" of the driveability. I don't want people riding to be- why is it doing that? etc. I'd want people to not even know something is there. I feel I don't really need anything off the line but I wonder what the difference is like just in part throttle cruising and also the difference off the line, even though I feel I don't need anything. I really don't give it much in first gear in normal driving situations just because it's too much as it is.. unless I'm really wanting to.

Some of your guys' reviews sound very positive. I'd say I'm on the fence, I just don't want to do it, and then regret it.

Some other questions..
I assume these all retain the clutch inside the converter?
Who makes converters for these car? 722.6 trans. links?
Who make the best converter? (in your opinion)

Thanks for any help.
I ran my car without blower for a little bit and having the higher stall converter in my car suckeddddd to drive. Without a blowert he car doesn't make as much torque and you have to rev it higher to get the car moving. It sounds like you're trying to take off from the light but in reality you're just trying to keep up with traffic

Nowhere in this post was the TOU violated so stop deleting my posts because a sponsor cries
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
Originally Posted by blackbenzz

I've had a converter since before anybody was selling them here. It takes more throttle to get moving from the light. When I ran my car NA with a converter it really sucked because the car would rev up and barely move.

There's barely any difference in mph or ET. The best 60's I've seen in an E55 are in cars with no converter modification

I ran my car without blower for a little bit and having the higher stall converter in my car suckeddddd to drive. Without a blowert he car doesn't make as much torque and you have to rev it higher to get the car moving. It sounds like you're trying to take off from the light but in reality you're just trying to keep up with traffic

Nowhere in this post was the TOU violated so stop deleting my posts because a sponsor cries
Thank you for the reply. It's what I was thinking but I've never had one and wasn't sure. I like the direct punch you get and feel like the higher stall converter would just loosen it up alot.. unless you're near WOT. Not what I am looking for as I like that direct feedback and don't want to have to put my foot down farther to make it go.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
my barely any difference is because the car is animal coming out and the tires spin like a ***** and i still knocked a almost a tenth off the short time. Most would have to put a pulley on to run that sixty foot time on average. I never even got to run with the tcu being tuned yet. You can not beat the fun factor with this stall convertor.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
DR - From the video it actually looks like the car is slower because it is just spinning the tires all the way down the road.
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
In case my reply stating that it was a burnout and not an acceleration run OR the title of the video saying it was a burnout was not clear enough for you, let me say, again, that it was a BURNOUT and not an acceleration run.

Keep grinding that axe, though.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 PM

C63 AMG, E55 AMG
Each to their own i guess. The car definitely launches alot harder with the stall! Couple buddies of mine have 4000 stalls in naturally aspirated 6.0 litres and they love it. The stalls wake our cars up even more because we have so much torque. And clearly Denroll was holding brake and accelerator, pushed passed the stall speed, got the tyres spinning and then took off. If that video clearly doesnt outline the demonstration of a burnout i dont know what does. I had my brother drive my car a few months before i got the stall an he said it was quick. Had him drive it after the stall and he left a s""t stain in my seat. All joke aside the difference is massive. With our cars having so much torque it makes it that much better. Each to their own, if you on the fence go for a drive with someone who has a stall before you make up your mind

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3000 Stall Torque Converter Review