W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Squeaking front end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014 | 12:39 AM

2005 E55
Squeaking front end

Hey guys, finally going to have time off and warm weather converge, so I'll be working on the E55's foibles...

I have the annoying "hoopty" squeak from the front. I've done searching through here and some other websites, many suggest lower ball joints, and I saw some interesting information about a plate on the steering unit (but not many specifics).

I put the car on the lift today, and of course with no weight on the front it's smooth as silk. Even shoving the wheels back and forth produced not a sound at all. All of the bushings and joints look dusty but good, no leaks, no cracking/breaking.

So at this point I'm confused. Do I try to crawl under it while it's on the ground and listen? I'm not a fan of throwing parts at cars - I like to know what the PROBLEM is instead of just guessing. Lower ball joints are pretty darn cheap though, and I guess worst case it's a good maintenance item to take care of (but again, the ones in there look fine...).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tests that I haven't seen written about?

Jon
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Yes on the lower ***** joint
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Here bro-

Get in line.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...lls-right.html

Read it completely.
Old 05-07-2014 | 12:06 PM

55k FTW
Like I said in the post that viren.89 referred to my dealer said that it's the sway bar bushings and another guy on that thread mentioned that he replaced almost everything and the only thing left is the sway bar. I would start with that as there is a higher chance of that being the cause. I'm doing that in the next month or so whenever I get time. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 05-08-2014 | 01:38 AM

2005 E55
I hadn't seen anything on the sway bar yet, I'll look into that one. I do find it interesting that the squeak is there under ALL front end transients - turn wheel left or right, up or down on the suspension, same exact noise. Light enough that cannot hear at ALL with the windows up, but obvious with window down.
I have not, however, had any clunks, and I get no change from cold to warm. I do pull every so slightly to the right, but nothing that troubles me.
Saw the mention of the Wurth product, might look into that as well.
Old 05-18-2014 | 12:19 AM

2005 E55
Quick update: Had new tires put on, and alignment performed. WOW the road noise difference between the Continental ExtremeContacts and the Hankooks I bought is ridiculous. I had previously been concerned I had a wheel bearing going out - I no longer believe this is possible. I feel out of sorts driving the car now because all I can hear is engine noise. Woot!
The squeak is still there, but is clearly reduced. The independent mechanic I went to said that while they had it on the alignment machine he checked it out, and he was 99% sure it was lower ball joints. However, he agreed with my assessment that mechanically everything looks and moves great, it just makes the obnoxious squeaking noise. He recommended that if I was going in to do ball joints to do both uppers and lowers. He also recommended that if the sway bar was squeaking, to use the Wurth spray instead of trying to buy a new one.
All and all a good past few days for the car, I enjoy MUCH more with the better road manners. I had also, incidentally, thought I might have a problem with how it handles in the rain, but with the new tires/alignment it drove beautifully in the rain compared to how it did before.
Old 06-27-2014 | 12:24 PM

04 E55, 96 993tt
I also have the same mystery squeak that you have. It's been on and off for a year now. Can't hear it with the window sup but its ghetto fabulous when driving with the windows down. It is driving my nuts however. I've had the car aligned twice and both times after alignment the noise goes away for 2 weeks but then comes back. I've replaced the steering plate cover with new bolts and that didn't help. I've even tried a test where I sprayed down every bushing etc on the drivers side....the first day nothing then it went silent for a little longer than a month....but alas the noise came back. This week I'm taking it over to my P-Car Wrench(I don't have a Merc Indy) so we can take a closer look. We'll try the Wurth spray on the Sway bar bushings as well.

But my car will make noise sitting still but turning the steering wheels left and right. Will also make noise when suspension compresses/rebounds when wheels straight or when I get out of the car. It's so bad that my wife calls the car Debo's bike from the movie Friday...that one actually make me laugh a little.

When I track down and solve the problem I'll let the group know.

Chad
Old 06-27-2014 | 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Anyone heard of a "grease needle" it attaches onto the grease gun fitting and is used to insert grease into the rubber boot of ball joints or anything with a rubber bellows, like sway bar end links on some cars or even tie rod ends. The needle is fine and will not ruin the rubber but will keep your front end lubricated for life if used yearly.
High end front end components usually come with a grease fitting, many OEM parts do not, wonder why??
Old 06-27-2014 | 01:11 PM

Audi S4 (sold), E46 M3 (sold) 05 E55 silver/black(sold)
Mine was lower ball joints.
Old 06-27-2014 | 01:15 PM

2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
Originally Posted by PcarRacr
I also have the same mystery squeak that you have. It's been on and off for a year now. Can't hear it with the window sup but its ghetto fabulous when driving with the windows down. It is driving my nuts however. I've had the car aligned twice and both times after alignment the noise goes away for 2 weeks but then comes back. I've replaced the steering plate cover with new bolts and that didn't help. I've even tried a test where I sprayed down every bushing etc on the drivers side....the first day nothing then it went silent for a little longer than a month....but alas the noise came back. This week I'm taking it over to my P-Car Wrench(I don't have a Merc Indy) so we can take a closer look. We'll try the Wurth spray on the Sway bar bushings as well.

But my car will make noise sitting still but turning the steering wheels left and right. Will also make noise when suspension compresses/rebounds when wheels straight or when I get out of the car. It's so bad that my wife calls the car Debo's bike from the movie Friday...that one actually make me laugh a little.

Chad
As mentioned above, your lower ball joints are probably in need of replacement.

For those having tracking issues after alignments, consider having a look at your struts. They will wear as our cars get older and will sag lower on one side than the other, causing your car to favor the lower side.

OA
Old 06-02-2020 | 08:19 PM

E55 AMG
Squeaking??

Originally Posted by PcarRacr

Chad
I know this is old, your post made me LMFAO!! "GHETTO FABULOUS" 😭 I have the EXACT same problem as you once did, it's embarrassing to say the least.. Did you ever find out the solution to the Problem? I appreciate any feedback you may offer.. Thanks bro..
Kris
Old 06-02-2020 | 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
Mine was lower ball joints at 60,000 miles I grease them up with a needle greaser it went away and replace them they were loose and bad
The following users liked this post:
kC10 (06-02-2020)
Old 01-22-2024 | 01:01 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cdk4219
Mine was lower ball joints at 60,000 miles I grease them up with a needle greaser it went away and replace them they were loose and bad
hey man how long before you ended up replacing them and were they squeaking when you replaced them?
Old 01-22-2024 | 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
I replaced the upper and lower notvlong after. They were both toast at 63,000 miles
Old 01-22-2024 | 03:29 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cdk4219
I replaced the upper and lower notvlong after. They were both toast at 63,000 miles
Mine feel perfectly fine it just squeaks. When yours were squeaking was the driving affected as well?
Old 01-22-2024 | 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
The driving really won’t be affected, you really won’t notice it, but the tires will wear more. These front ends are usually worn by 70,000 miles, at least with the roads I have close to me. Not all components are shot, but rubber thrust arms and upper ball joints followed by lower ones.