Sponsored by:

Keyless-go issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63
Keyless-go issues...

as the title says, my keyless-go is malfunctioning. The car locks/unlocks, but once i get in the car sometimes its give me the "Key not detected" message. i tried to insert the key into the ignition to start the car once and i was unable to turn the ignition. Each time all of this happens it eventually works, but in the last day or so its become more frequent.

I've look on here and I have seen suggestions to replace the key battery which i have done with both keys a few months ago, so thats not the issue.

the other suggested issue could be a weak car battery, could that in fact be a cause?

Help me out here guys, i would very much appreciate it.

TIA

Last edited by FromM3toAMG; 05-21-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:03 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Check the contacts inside the keyfob itself. Take it apart like you would to replace the key battery, but flip it upside down and look at the contacts to see if they're dirty. You might want to look at the circuit board itself as well and see if there's a solder joint coming loose. Does it happen on both keyfobs?
Old 05-22-2014, 01:04 AM

07 E63
Originally Posted by mightar
Check the contacts inside the keyfob itself. Take it apart like you would to replace the key battery, but flip it upside down and look at the contacts to see if they're dirty. You might want to look at the circuit board itself as well and see if there's a solder joint coming loose. Does it happen on both keyfobs?
I don't think it's the key fob, it does it with both keys. Both keys have brand new batteries.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
make sure you don't have anything in your pockets that is metallic along with the key? i find lighters can do the same to mine...
Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 AM

07 E63
Originally Posted by MaLicE
make sure you don't have anything in your pockets that is metallic along with the key? i find lighters can do the same to mine...
That's not the issue.. I've done all that. That was the first thing I checked.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Metropolitan
Get a Star Diagnostic to test the KeyLess go system.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by Duc1098E500
Get a Star Diagnostic to test the KeyLess go system.
If I had access to one I would. I'm hoping to fine an answer here. I'm sure someone has had this issue or similar.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
When you changed out the batteries did the problem go away for a while, like a few months. For some reason these fobs eat low quality batteries and even some duracells if they have been sitting on the shelf for a while.. When this happens after putting in fresh batteries try to lock the car then unlock using the fob and then go for the key less start, making sure the brake lights actually come on, could be a brake switch issue, not the uncommon. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:18 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by Critter
When you changed out the batteries did the problem go away for a while, like a few months. For some reason these fobs eat low quality batteries and even some duracells if they have been sitting on the shelf for a while.. When this happens after putting in fresh batteries try to lock the car then unlock using the fob and then go for the key less start, making sure the brake lights actually come on, could be a brake switch issue, not the uncommon. Good luck.
Yeah, I guess I could try new batteries. But what as the chances that both my FOBs drained the battery? Seems unlikely. I believe I changed them out in January or February....

Also, I'm not having any issues locking/unlocking or opening the trunk... This morning when the "key not recognized"massage popped up, I was able to start the car manually.

Could this be an issue with the start button?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by FromM3toAMG
Yeah, I guess I could try new batteries. But what as the chances that both my FOBs drained the battery? Seems unlikely. I believe I changed them out in January or February....

Also, I'm not having any issues locking/unlocking or opening the trunk... This morning when the "key not recognized"massage popped up, I was able to start the car manually.

Could this be an issue with the start button?
FWIW, my car was down for a month or so when I pulled the heads. Both of my key fobs needed new batteries when it got back up and running. I figured it was a connection issue because of the small likelihood BOTH batteries would go at the same time... but they did
Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Here is what people are trying to tell you. Spend $5 on new batteries for one of your fobs and see if it solves your problem. Keyless Go is not like a regular fob because it apparently is always trying to communicate with your car and therefore always using power. A regular fob only uses power when you push a button. Whenever my door locks or keyless go start acting up I immediately change the batteries and most times that solves the problem. Four or five months out of a pair of batteries is not out of the question. Might not be the problem but eliminate the simple things first. I change the fob batteries in my Lexus about once every two years but again they are not keyless go. I always have spare batteries for the E. No big deal once you accept the reality. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
People giving advice on the batteries .. have you tried removing the batteries all together and seeing if keyless go works?

OP your issue with "Key not detected" is unlikely to be a battery issue. If you take the batteries out altogether, the car can still pick up key presence I have tried this myself. The fob uses some form of RFID type chip that does not require power for keyless go part of it. Immobilizer is the same.

The batteries are used for remote control transmitting open/close etc ..

You need to use a Star to properly diagnose the issue .. unless you plan on randomly swapping out parts ...
Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
I am guessing you already tried leaving your cell phone in the house and seeing if you had any RF interference
Old 05-24-2014, 02:23 PM

2005 E55 AMG
People telling you the car will detect the key even without batteries are wrong. He could go to the trouble of having a Star diagnosis or he could take the simple logical approach and try new batteries. My bet is that the first thing a Mercedes mechanic would do if you took the car in, would be to change the fob batteries. Of course you could spend a couple of hundred bucks to find out. BTW, I just took the batteries out of my fob, got in the car and pressed the start button and guess what message came up..........."key not detected".
Old 05-24-2014, 02:41 PM

Honda Metropolitan

Last edited by Duc1098E500; 05-24-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by 5spd97
People telling you the car will detect the key even without batteries are wrong. He could go to the trouble of having a Star diagnosis or he could take the simple logical approach and try new batteries. My bet is that the first thing a Mercedes mechanic would do if you took the car in, would be to change the fob batteries. Of course you could spend a couple of hundred bucks to find out. BTW, I just took the batteries out of my fob, got in the car and pressed the start button and guess what message came up..........."key not detected".
I 100% get what everyone is telling me about the batteries... I just find it very unlikely that both fob batteries are dead... They are no more than 3mo old...
Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i have the same issues with my 2004 - had the shifter gate and button replaced and still doesn't always work - i was told to try a new key as the antenna in the key eventually go bad. As long as i have the key in hand it works - which kind of negates the purpose of keyless go

I do wonder if the keyleess go buttons from the newer 211 E63, SL, or CLS work any better.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Man, you are killing me, lol. You've had this problem for days now but you'd rather debate the issue than spend five minutes and $5 eliminating a potential source of the problem. Let us know how this turns out and good luck.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:35 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by 5spd97
Man, you are killing me, lol. You've had this problem for days now but you'd rather debate the issue than spend five minutes and $5 eliminating a potential source of the problem. Let us know how this turns out and good luck.
ok, i replaced the batteries... guess what.. STILL HAPPENING.

Now that we/I have crossed that bridge, does anyone have any input on what OTHER components could be the issue? Why does holding down the start button seem to solve the issue? if i only press it once as i normally do to start the car it throws the error message, if i hold it the message still comes up but the car starts...
I am also now getting the message while driving.... Is the signal receiver that starts the car the same one that unlocks/locks the car? or is it separate?

Aside from batteries dying, am i really the only E63 owner on this forum that has had this issue?
Old 05-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Honda Metropolitan
It is obvious that we have no other answers for you. If it's working by holding it down then be happy with it. If you feel that you want to have her back just like day one then replace the KG unit. Honestly you bought a big dollar car and now you are trying to cheap out on getting the dealer or Indy to read the KG unit. I'm done looking at this thread.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:28 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by Duc1098E500
It is obvious that we have no other answers for you. If it's working by holding it down then be happy with it. If you feel that you want to have her back just like day one then replace the KG unit. Honestly you bought a big dollar car and now you are trying to cheap out on getting the dealer or Indy to read the KG unit. I'm done looking at this thread.

GTFO, i haven't had a chance to take it in. Has nothing to do with being cheap. You could have saved that worthless *** response. I dont care if i was a millionaire.. doesn't mean im going to hand over a penny of it for something i can do myself. some of us are able to fix our own cars without needing to run to the nearest dealer for petty BS. damn some of you guys are quick to run your mouth's, if you don't have a answer stay off the thread. Simple as that.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 ML63 Biturbo
My Driver side door handle was causing big problems with the Keyless go system in summer last year weather was over 30 degrees and that's when it started.

Replaced the outside handle from Merc come's painted and problem solved.

Kept saying key not detected etc

Last edited by c32_amg; 05-26-2014 at 12:20 PM.