W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Dead Battery, now sheering wheel controls don't work...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2014 | 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
Dead Battery, now sheering wheel controls don't work...

I accidentally left my lights on yesterday morning. After work, I came out to a dead battery. I jumped the car with my friend's truck. After about 10 minutes of driving all my features were back up and running. The car starts fine and the batteries were replaced in 2012.

Only issue is that my steering wheel controls, horn and shift buttons do not work. Basically, everything on my steering wheel is dead. Everything else in the car works.

Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2014 | 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Put the car on a charger to fully top up the battery, minimum over night. A lot of issues are a result of a less than optimal battery. The car is "smart" enough to reroute power so this is where I would start.
Old 06-10-2014 | 08:04 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by Critter
Put the car on a charger to fully top up the battery, minimum over night. A lot of issues are a result of a less than optimal battery. The car is "smart" enough to reroute power so this is where I would start.
OK. It won't hurt to try that. I called a Benz tech and he said it sounds like a steering wheel control module. With my luck, his diagnosis will be correct but I will try charging it anyways.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-10-2014 | 11:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
hey mike

hey mike, how you doing man? when you get it all charged, unhook the negative side of battery post for a few minutes, just remove it and put it back on. sometimes when the battery have completely died in these cars, unhooking the battery sometimes seem to "reset" everything. wont hurt anything and it will only take a few minutes. i will call you later on wednesday and see how you coming along. take care.
Old 06-11-2014 | 09:34 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by FinanceMike
OK. It won't hurt to try that. I called a Benz tech and he said it sounds like a steering wheel control module. With my luck, his diagnosis will be correct but I will try charging it anyways.

Thanks for the idea.
Yes, sometimes a battery reset will help but you will need to reset all your window, sunroof and steering wheel once battery is un-hooked. The best way, is to find someone with STAR, read all the codes and do a reset with star.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-12-2014 | 06:38 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by green1212
hey mike, how you doing man? when you get it all charged, unhook the negative side of battery post for a few minutes, just remove it and put it back on. sometimes when the battery have completely died in these cars, unhooking the battery sometimes seem to "reset" everything. wont hurt anything and it will only take a few minutes. i will call you later on wednesday and see how you coming along. take care.
Just wanted to follow up with this. I unplugged the negative terminal for about 5 minutes. Hooked it back up and everything works again; horn, radio controls and paddle shifters.

I guess I got lucky because I didn't have to mess with my windows or sunroof. Just the radio presets.

Al, thanks again buddy.
Old 06-22-2017 | 01:53 AM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
I have this problem but it keeps coming back a few days after I fix it by unplugging the battery for awhile. Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2017 | 08:51 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
I seem to have resolved the issue by leaving the battery unplugged over night. Noticed 10 min lasted more than 30 second disconnect so attempted full discharge of cat electricals
Old 06-30-2017 | 07:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by PieRat
I seem to have resolved the issue by leaving the battery unplugged over night. Noticed 10 min lasted more than 30 second disconnect so attempted full discharge of cat electricals
Interesting.