W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key fob lock problem question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2000 Viper GTS (head,cam, supercharged), 2014 Mazda 3 (daily), 2004 F150, Harley& Busa
key fob lock problem question

Guys,

Im looking to pick up another e55 tomorrow from a used car dealer. (I had one for a long time , sold it and miss it!) I know the ins and outs of them pretty well.) However I don't get this...

The Key fob wont lock and unlock the doors by pressing the buttons on the fob. However the door handle buttons work, trunk button works, and keyless start works.

Its as if part of the key fob works but part doesn't? Anyone experience this?

Also its a 2005 (earlier model with the plain pedals and the split center console)

Thanks!
Martin-
Old 06-12-2014, 04:55 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Did you try and put new batteries in to test? Sometimes the FOB`s go bad.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM

2005 E55 AMG, 2000 Viper GTS (head,cam, supercharged), 2014 Mazda 3 (daily), 2004 F150, Harley& Busa
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Did you try and put new batteries in to test? Sometimes the FOB`s go bad.
Yep, we tried, and it didn't make a difference. Hopefully its just the fob that's bad, as opposed to something in the car not receiving the signal. I do know the battery was just replaced (im wondering if it was the 2nd battery in the car (not the main battery in the trunk)) wonder if that wiped out some type of memory in the car. Maybe it just needs to be brought to dealer to be re programmed.

Martin-
Old 06-12-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
yeah i had that exact problem. i even went as far as replacing the fob part with another "outside" shell part and it still didnt work. resorted to removing the inside key to get in and out but when i put the key into the ignition switch, was able to crank up the car. my final resolution: bought another key from mercedes dealership at the price of $288, came programmed and have worked flawlessly. they just cant make the shell part, they have to make the whole thing over due to a change in the way the keys are made now. so you will have 2 keys but it is pricey!!!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by green1212
yeah i had that exact problem. i even went as far as replacing the fob part with another "outside" shell part and it still didnt work. resorted to removing the inside key to get in and out but when i put the key into the ignition switch, was able to crank up the car. my final resolution: bought another key from mercedes dealership at the price of $288, came programmed and have worked flawlessly. they just cant make the shell part, they have to make the whole thing over due to a change in the way the keys are made now. so you will have 2 keys but it is pricey!!!
Green, that's good to know, thanks for the info. In the grand Scheme of things everything on the car works 100% (door handles, dynamic seats, keyless start, pano roof, air suspension, etc.....a $300 part is not to big of a deal I guess!

Thanks again!

Martin
Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
i am struggling with this as well, replaced batteries three weeks ago..everything was fine, then all of a sudden one afternoon it quits working..no doors, no keyless start. Now, it's hit and miss with locking/unlocking doors. Keyless go worked a day ago, once!! I don't want to go drop $300 on another key right now...so i just leave it unlocked. nothing in the car to steal, except the car itself (and it sits in my garage most of the time).
Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 PM

2004 MERC E55
anytime! you lucked out! i got fault codes, many and other maintenance issues too. feel good man and the new key comes chrome!!! that should make you feel real good too, lol! great attitude to have and congrats on your purchase! take it easy man!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:38 PM

maybe the FOB's just go bad, cant you still just lock the doors with the buttons on the exterior door handles? I do remember paying less that $200 for a new FOB that was programmed like 4 years ago on my old e55. So unless the prices have gone up....
Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 PM

2004 MERC E55
e55freak

hey you can remove the "key" inside the fob and be able to lock your drivers side door. just lock all other doors before you get out and then lock your drivers side door with the key inside the fob. that's what i did for couple weeks until i decided to pay for the new key fob from mercedes. i know sometimes when i went to open my drivers side door, all doors would unlock, just leave the drivers side door open, go around and manually lock other doors, then shut your door and lock it with the small key. hate for you to leave your car unlock. but its a pita i suppose, but just want you to be aware there is a way to lock up the car.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
Originally Posted by green1212
hey you can remove the "key" inside the fob and be able to lock your drivers side door. just lock all other doors before you get out and then lock your drivers side door with the key inside the fob. that's what i did for couple weeks until i decided to pay for the new key fob from mercedes. i know sometimes when i went to open my drivers side door, all doors would unlock, just leave the drivers side door open, go around and manually lock other doors, then shut your door and lock it with the small key. hate for you to leave your car unlock. but its a pita i suppose, but just want you to be aware there is a way to lock up the car.
yea, i know you can lock it like that...i honestly don't care if its unlocked. a pita to take the physical key out to lock it...like i said if its stolen, oh well, it's just a car.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Question - does the W211 AMGs have immobilizers or not? I just as assumed that they did, but now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing it explicitly mentioned...