Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Leaking Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Leaking Oil

The 2007 E63 in question is actually my neighbor's, but I've been helping him with the car for several years now.

I've got about 20 years of experience working on my own cars, and seen plenty of leaks due to the Arizona heat and dry air.

This one however is baffling me. There is oil covering and apparently dripping off of the ridge where the heads meet the block towards the rear passenger side.

Naturally the first guess would be the valve cover, but it is bone dry. There isn't even really any sign of oil above or below the exhaust manifold. It actually looks like it is coming out of the head gasket itself, which from my knowledge of V8's seems impossible.

He hasn't reported any smoke or burning smells either.

It's not a fast leak, but enough to eventually fill up the under tray and hit the ground, which is how he noticed it. When I took the tray off, a good half quart poured onto my garage floor.

There is little spots of oil in various places, like the orange plastic cap that covers the hole on the bell housing. Or the wire that wraps behind the dip stick, and strangest of all is actually on top of the passenger side airbox between the silver plastic and inner black ridge. It is very small amounts in these places, just no idea how oil would ever get there. I guess those air intakes on the front undertray tend to blow everything around.

I've done some searching, but hoping someone can shed some light on this. If not, I think his plan is to trade the car in before it gets worse. It's a shame, since it is such a nice car otherwise.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32, C55, 08 E63
Why not just take the car into a shop and see what they can come up with? 100 bucks for them to check it out seems worth it over loosing a couple grand on trade in value. Talk to Bella at Dynamic Imports over in Tempe. 480-557-8868
Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Check all your vent hoses ,and the little valve cover hats first,2 small hoses one on each side and large one on drivers sider,both valve covers have little caps held on with aluminum screws ,they leak all the time
Old 07-21-2014, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. He's only taken the car to the dealer, so I'll tell him about Dynamic Imports.

Cnterline, yeah that's my hope, I just haven't figured out how it would get from the hoses to underneath the headers. It would be nice to have a diagram of the PCV on this car.

I'll post back with my findings. Probably next weekend.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Check rear head caps.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
I bet it was the PCV not working properly or that it was busted like mine spraying vapor which resulted in dots showing up on the passenger rear valve cover as well as hoses and wires in back of engine having drops of oil which end up dripping into the rear engine cover.