Sponsored by:

DIY: PedalBox Installation & Review...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
DIY: PedalBox Installation & Review...

So MBWorld's own beloved Denroll was selling a used PedalBox throttle "crispener" and never being one to shy away from a hard-core installation I decided to take the plunge and PayPal him the funds...

(BTW -> Dennis is an awesome seller, quick to ship and the PedalBox came with all the original factory packaging, instructions and look 100% brand new!)

So..... try to keep up, this is going to get a little bit technical. I'll post some photos to try to help you follow along. I will try to provide this information in the "Denroll Style" that you are all familiar with.... hope you like it.

Step 1:

Using a small screwdriver, pry off the plastic cap that covers the gas pedal hold-down bolt

DIY:  PedalBox Installation & Review...-img_9933.jpg

Step 2:

Using a 10mm socket and ratchet, remove the nut by turning it counter-clockwise. When you are finished it will look like this:

DIY:  PedalBox Installation & Review...-img_9934.jpg

Step 3:

If you have been able to get this far, you are 90% of the way there.... don't panic now, just stay calm and fight your way through the anxiety.

With that nut removed, the throttle pedal will pull away from the floor and drop down with a long cable sticking out of the top. With a gentle pinch on both sides of the connector, you will push the clasps out of the way and the connector will come off the throttle pedal assembly!

Now, the PedalBox can be added. It has a wiring harness with two connector sockets (one MALE and one FEMALE). Only one of these will fit onto the throttle pedal. Take your time, to figure out which one it is and push it down until it clicks and locks into position. Thankfully, once this is complete, there is only ONE connector left on the PedalBox harness.... so it is easy to guess which one to use next. Connect this one to the original factory harness that was previously attached to the throttle pedal assembly.

When you are done, it should look approximately like this (Disclaimer: The amount of dirt on your own carpets may vary).

DIY:  PedalBox Installation & Review...-img_9935.jpg

Step 4:

Carefully put the wires back up under the dash and reattach your throttle pedal using the same 10mm nut you removed earlier. This is NOT a torque-to-yield fastener so you do NOT need to get a new one from MBZ to complete this job. REMEMBER: To tighten the nut, you turn CLOCKWISE.

(TIP: To remember it more easily, some people will use the expression "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey", whatever works for you is fine)

Step 5:

TESTING...

It's pretty damn easy. Start the car and select your "mode" (Eco Mode, Sport Mode, or Sport Plus) mode. These determine how aggressively the pedal will respond to your inputs.

The second button selects your "level" within that mode... 1 LED is the gentlest setting within that mode, 3 LEDs is the most aggressive.

Of course, like any good enthusiast I immediately ignored ECO mode altogether, and went straight for Sport Plus / Level 3.... the baddest of the bad!!!

It didn't take long to determine that it was having an effect on the responsiveness. I put the car in reverse to back out of my driveway, and gave the car my typical deep-footed punch on the throttle.... not expecting to notice anything until I was really out on the road and paying careful attention. WRONG!!!

The car spun the tires violently, and lunged backward out of the driveway.... fortunately I was able to stop it just before hitting a busload of nuns and orphaned children. It was a close call for sure.... I think there were also a few endangered animals peeking out of the bus windows when I finally came to a stop.

So yeah, SportPlus / Level 3 was a HUGE difference in throttle response..... like ludicrously sensitive. It took a lot of concentration to avoid tire spinning from a dead stop. I don't think I'd want anyone to borrow my car with the throttle set in this mode. It's damn spooky and will catch everyone by surprise.

Currently I'm running in regular "Sport" mode / Level 3. That seems to be pretty aggressive (certainly MUCH better than stock) but I can still drive the car normally from a stoplight if I want to..... at this point, I'm still training my foot not to jab into the throttle deeply (like I used to) just to get the car to move a little bit.... so it's a learning process. It's nice that the settings are super easy to change, so when I feel like "hooning around" it will be simply to just go "Sport Plus / Level 3" again and terrorize the neighborhood.

Overall, this thing really DOES work! It doesn't add horsepower obviously, but it delivers the power you already have in a much nicer and more aggressive way.... and gives the car a greater sense of urgency, and ferociousness. For such a small amount of $$$ it was well worth the time it took to install......even if it was substantially outside of my "comfort zone" as a DIY.

-G
Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
great review
Old 08-08-2014, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Haha, great write-up! I'm glad it's working out and thanks for the kind words.

I was very impressed with the quality of the product and the thought put into the packaging. It even came with an interior trim panel separating too. Made in Germany, too.

Oh, I need to mention that I left a small set of black marks on my driveway while pulling into my garage one day. It was funny.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Awesome writeup

Why haven't I heard about this before?!?!

Someone needs to setup a group buy on this!!!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:27 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Great news, I'm looking forward to when mine arrives. I have a Sprint Booster (I'll be selling) and removed it because my wife didn't like the sensitivity. The adjustability will be great.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
The newer Sprint Boosters have three settings. Stock / Sport1 / Sport 2

Small button goes inside the car
Old 08-08-2014, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
So, since the pedal is more sensitive, is it easier to get the transmission to kick down a gear?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55K, Black on Black. C63, Black on Black. SRT-10 NightRunner 363of400
Glad to hear this worked out. I was this close to sending the money to ad enroll when I realized it was too late! Glad to know it worked out. DSC, let me know how much you are looking for the sprint booster. I'm looking for an on/off application and don't need the adjustability of the Pedal Box set up.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i had the sprint booster on my car years ago. it made driving the car more fun. only thing i disliked is that physically i had 25% throttle travel remaining but actually the car was at WOT and pushing the pedal further did not do anything.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Originally Posted by shardul
i had the sprint booster on my car years ago. it made driving the car more fun. only thing i disliked is that physically i had 25% throttle travel remaining but actually the car was at WOT and pushing the pedal further did not do anything.
100 shot and a wide open throttle switch would have fixed that.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:06 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Bigtickets
Glad to hear this worked out. I was this close to sending the money to ad enroll when I realized it was too late! Glad to know it worked out. DSC, let me know how much you are looking for the sprint booster. I'm looking for an on/off application and don't need the adjustability of the Pedal Box set up.

Here is the link to my sale of the Sprint Booster
https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-pe...ml#post6132233