Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitting the streets of Atlanta

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
PM me. Just on the basis of saving a member... I'll give you my mobile # if you ever get stranded near me.

I don't know the history of this car or really how much you've done to it...but my car has only left me stranded once in 6 years and that's when one of my airmatic's went out (right front) and it gave me enough warning to get off the highway and navigate through rush hour traffic to a safe place... And I knew that was coming eventually!

Instead of "everytime I floor it I get stranded" you should be saying, "everytime I floor it I get... bahhahhahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa"
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG on Ethanol-Meth; 600rwhp BMW M5
YOu should be good once you update these parts Nick As modded as my car is, it has never left me stranded. But I have had it since bone stock, so I know what the quirks were with each mod and when they rear their head, I am familiar with how to fix them or drive around them lol.

Hang in there brotha, they are overly engineered beasts that love to be driven hard.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by BI-Performance
YOu should be good once you update these parts Nick As modded as my car is, it has never left me stranded. But I have had it since bone stock, so I know what the quirks were with each mod and when they rear their head, I am familiar with how to fix them or drive around them lol.

Hang in there brotha, they are overly engineered beasts that love to be driven hard.
You guys treated me right last time I was there. That's enough to keep me coming back. She's on a tow truck now heading your way. ASP billet stuff on order!
Old 12-31-2014, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Alright! BIP installed new tensioners, belts, split cooling, and found out the CM30 had a blown fuse and replaced it. I have been driving around with a dead IC pump for the past 6 months. I guess that's the reason she didn't feel all that fast after a few hard miles and was having hot start issues with it being overheated and heat soaked :lol:. Also had the performance tune on it from Tony (which I was unaware of when they retuned for stock pulley after removing the 180CP).

Best part about BIP...my emissions is due Friday and Thomas drove and sat at the emissions place and got it done for me Talk about badass service. They don't play around with "we will do it", they just do it. I pick her up tonight.

I also just picked up some S65 19" to replace the CLS63 rims.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
Alright! BIP installed new tensioners, belts, split cooling, and found out the CM30 had a blown fuse and replaced it. I have been driving around with a dead IC pump for the past 6 months. I guess that's the reason she didn't feel all that fast after a few hard miles and was having hot start issues with it being overheated and heat soaked :lol:. Also had the performance tune on it from Tony (which I was unaware of when they retuned for stock pulley after removing the 180CP).

Best part about BIP...my emissions is due Friday and Thomas drove and sat at the emissions place and got it done for me Talk about badass service. They don't play around with "we will do it", they just do it. I pick her up tonight.

I also just picked up some S65 19" to replace the CLS63 rims.
Time to fall in love with that beast all over again. I suspect you will have a love hate relationship just like I have with my SL. These machines are amazing when they are running good and amazingly frustrating when not.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by cal1
Time to fall in love with that beast all over again. I suspect you will have a love hate relationship just like I have with my SL. These machines are amazing when they are running good and amazingly frustrating when not.
It's been a love/hate relationship from day one. I think BIP has gone through and replaced/fixed everything. I should be in love with it by next week. I may have some Meisterschaft race exhaust on the way by the end of the week. It's very hard to climb out of the M5 and into the silent E55.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 PM

3-pointed star
Pics of the S65 19"???
Old 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by SL55_Forever
Pics of the S65 19"???

I'll post up when I get them! I am excited to swap them out and have he killer brushed lip with the shiny bolts
Old 12-31-2014, 05:37 PM

3-pointed star
make sure the bolts are torqued, depending how old/used they are they could be loose.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I got the car back yesterday morning all I can say is it feels super solid. I took my father out in it, who owned a bone stock 2006 and he stated mine still feels like a animal. I decided to keep all the pulleys stock. I am going to focus on exhaust, cooling and a nice performance tune (BIP tune). She is plenty fast with the stock pullies but may add a S/C pulley this summer once she proves herself. I also would like to add the window shades and NAV. My next task is to figure out why the seats don't work. With the heat exchanger, BWK, ASP idler pulleys, IC pump and the BIP tune she can still lay some pretty nasty rubber.

I am thrilled to have it back knowing that everything is fresh upfront. I can now get back to the build of my W211. Instead of making her go fast, I'm going to make her a super nice E55 cruiser that doesn't really see the race track. I am OK with that, since she makes such a nice highway car.

-Nick
Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Glad you are happy w the e again. Definitely a love hate relationship w these cars. Love it when it does what it does and hate it when you have to fix things that shouldn't be fixed so soon. Last fix was the drier and ac condenser during the summer. Now ac blows cold.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
It's been one full week and so far she has had good behavior.

First line of business was replacing the worn out PSS with a fresh set of rubber. I had bimmerdawg mount up 275 Pilot SuperSports and remove the paint off the rims. It looks much better with the OEM MB Silver. I think I am going to hold off on the S65's. The CLS63 wheels look killer!

Second line of business was a full fluid flush at RBM. They did trans, engine, coolant, diff, and brake fluid. All around it feels much better. I'm sure it's a placebo effect but still...

I currently am back to stock crank pulley and stock SC pulley. I still have the HE, CM30 Pump, split cooling,, BWK and a BIP Performance tune. I will say she is damn quick! This morning it was 10*F out and my intake temps were a shocking 18*F. 55MPH and planted my foot. I was off like a train. I plan on going 77mm FSP very soon to get back up to the power I once had with the 180 crank pulley.

Exhaust is going to be next on the list.

-Nick
Old 01-08-2015, 12:53 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
I had bimmerdawg mount up 275 Pilot SuperSports and remove the paint off the rims.
Awesome setup. Do you have long tubes yet, or do you have to contend with emissions/inspection? I cringe when I see you going FSP after the frustration you've had. I'd stick with the smaller clutched pulley, belt wrap, and some good headers. Big power and no headaches.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I about had a heart attack this morning when the power steering pump was groaning and whining. It was 8*F when I started it and sounded like it wanted to explode. I have a feeling I will be getting a CEL very soon for the air injection pump thingy. It sounds like a little wind up toy. Can I just drive without it if it goes bad? The next thing that breaks it's getting the CEL cleared and getting traded in. I love this car, but not enough to put up with the bi-polar reliability.

I really want to change this thread title to "Breaking down in the streets of Atlanta" :lol:
Old 01-08-2015, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
My E55 has not had a good winter. I have had countless issues with it. She is curerntly on the side of the road once again. I am starting to think this isn't the car for me since every time I go to drive it and have a little fun it immediately breaks. I have owned it for 7 months now and still have not been able to truly get on the gas pedal and have some fun.

First issue was the serpentine belt flying off and leaving me stranded. Fixed it and had it towed due to coolant leaks.

Second issue was the crank pulley coming off and damaging the crank leaving me stranded. BIP was able to salvage it and install a stock crank. Those guys are awesome!

Third issue was today when the OEM tensioner decided to melt and leave me once again, stranded.

I am hoping all new pulleys, belts, relays, fuel pumps, etc, etc, etc, etc finally makes this car function properly. It's been nothing but a headache. I thought I would never say this, but the W211 E55 makes the M5 V10 look like a Toyota in terms of reliability.
lol that's why i got rid of my e55.... made my audi b5 s4 look like a super reliable car (which they notoriously arent lol)

i had crank pulleys come off on road trip, s/c bearings go out, all 4 airmatics go out (on 4 separate occasions- once out of town)... cps go out on road trip...torque converter took a dump... plastic idler pulley exploded on road trip... tensioner pulley came off on diff road trip....

none of the stuff was really hard to fix, but really inconvenient when 500 miles from home on the highway.... came to treat it as a "within 20 miles of home car" since could never feel secure on a long road trip

my c63 has been exact opposite, not one issue, not one cel... nothing

adding a 2014 e63 awd soon as well... will slap a tune and downpipes on it and call it a day
Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by DVC
Awesome setup. Do you have long tubes yet, or do you have to contend with emissions/inspection? I cringe when I see you going FSP after the frustration you've had. I'd stick with the smaller clutched pulley, belt wrap, and some good headers. Big power and no headaches.
No headers yet. Hoping to have them on soon. I like the idea of the FSP but still going back and forth between leaving it stock. She has been a royal PITA but I still enjoy it.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
leave it as is for now and get some confidence in the car before modding it
Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by gaspam
.... came to treat it as a "within 20 miles of home car" since could never feel secure on a long road trip
I do the same thing with my SL which sucks because one reason I got it was for summer weekend driving trips. The great lakes region has perfect convertible weather in the summer as it is rarely too hot and humid to have the top down.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
What he said!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Week 3 after getting my car back on the road and everything fixed. It's hanging in!!!

Recently I had RBM do a full fluid swap and inspection of everything. Swapped out the shift solenoids (blue) and TCU tune. I can't really complain anymore. It's a total blast

Figured I would update since it's been a PITA to own but now becoming a joy. Exhaust is sitting in the garage right now but hoping to get it all installed soon.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
looks like a clayton ga event in march! get to ready
Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
looks like a clayton ga event in march! get to ready
You know it! I'll be there.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by shardul
Please keep this in mind from an expert on these cars......

I am happy you got it back and its running great.

Most cars run awesome till they start getting modded. For whatever reason once they get modded they start breaking down, costing tons of money, and leaving people stranded. Thats any car not specifically the E55's. From the beginning its been hard to keep up with what you have done to the car, switching this, swapping that, changing to something different etc.....

I got it, a noise screeching when starting up is not nice, and I know its not a modded part either. I would want to change it out just to get rid of the noise myself. But someone somewhere on here I think said thats normal when really cold and it should go away when warmed up, and shouldn't cause damage. Don't quote me but I think thats what I read.

If you keep the mods simple, i.e..... tune, exhaust, etc you should be fine and reliable save a normal part here and there, but start going into pulleys (seemingly they appear to have issues) and other things your reliability may or may not go down. Its a great car, just hate to hear your frustrations with it. Wish it didnt happen to you but I hope you can get them all sorted out without breaking the bank.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I am not even sure what I have done to it anymore

It's running really good. I have no complaints about it. I did a full paint correction on it this past weekend and I absolutely love the way it drives and the way it sounds.

I am getting more confident with it. The engine is strong and transmission really shifts hard now the the blue tops and TCU. I would post a picture but it's kinda hard to.

Hoping the exhaust frees up a little HP.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
You know it! I'll be there.
may 30 is the event march 24 is the registration day. get with jason this will sell out in 2 hrs for both days

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hitting the streets of Atlanta