Sponsored by:

Just Upgraded My Comand NTG1 to Kenwood DNN991HD Aftermarket Headunit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 08 C300 Sport (sold)
Just Upgraded My Comand NTG1 to Kenwood DNN991HD Aftermarket Headunit

I haven't made too many posts, but been a member for several years. Without this forum I would have never been able to learn about some of the coolest mods for my w211 E63.

For quite some time I have been researching my options for getting rid of my outdated NTG1 command unit. I wanted to share my recent experience for those of you who are thinking about swapping out their Comand.

There are only two viable options:

1) Upgrade to NTG2.5 (pricey, i'd rather spend that much into the motor, like adding some headers, over the cost of the swap)
2) Go with an aftermarket headunit like Kenwood, Pioneer, etc.

I didn't want to spend the time and money finding the correct parts, and dealing with installation for the NTG2.5 swap. I decided on the aftermarket route like many others on the forum.

All I can say is wow, I am so happy I decided to do this. It really brings out the best in the stock fiberoptic Logic7 Harmon Kardon system.

I went to Car Toys and played around with some of their Double Din Headunits.

I went with the newest Kenwood DNN991HD. I liked the WIFI, live traffic updates, Sound EQ, Garmin Nav, Bluetooth, HDMI, USB, Micro SD, Backup Camera, Internet Browser, Email, Youtube, etc.

Backup camera as an option but was extra money I didn't care to spend as I feel the parking sensors are all i need.
This is exactly what I wanted in my car, and absolutely no question glad I finally went through with it.

I have an 2007 E63 with the fiber optic MOST Harmon Kardon Logic 7 NTG1 unit, so I had to order a couple parts from NavTV to get the Kenwood 991 to integrate with my stock system. I did not have to buy an amp, or change anything else other then my NTG1. The NAVTV part fully integrates your factory speakers and amp, so all you need is the headunit.

What I needed to complete swap:

1) Kenwood DNN991HD Headunit
2) NAVTV MOST-HUB-MB
http://navtv.com/product/264/most-hur-mb.html
3) NAVTV MB DASH Kit
http://navtv.com/product/269/mb-e-class-dash-kit.html
4)MTEL Steering Wheel Controls Adapter

I love having WIFI in the car, and also the live traffic updates are legit.
It's nice having bluetooth in my car, and it sounds clear no echo. The system absolutely thumps now.
I had read from other forum members stating how much the stock system benefits from the upgrade.
100% spot on, night and day difference in sound quality. You don't really realize how good it sounds until you actually do the conversion, so I highly recommend doing the swap if you have been considering it.

I took a real quick camera phone picture to show you guys.

Of course the NTG2.5 gives you the stock look, but honestly I do not think the touchscreen Kenwood looks bad. It hasn't bothered me one bit, and I love having a touchscreen in my car now. For those of you who were considering getting a Dynavin, or another knockoff Chinese brand unit I would say hands down go with the Kenwood. I don't have any personal experience with Dynavin but I was very close to just getting one of the chinese units because I was so sick of the outdated ntg1, ugly maps view, no bluetooth, etc. Going with a trusted brand like Kenwood or Pioneer, you don't have to worry about unknown issues that may come along with a chinse HU.

I do have my old NTG1 headunit I am going to put up for sale if anyone is interested please PM me.

Thought i'd share for those of you getting tired of your Comand. I can say it was well worth it and brings a smile to my face every time i'm rolling around Seattle bumpin some EDM or Hip Hop.

Hopefully helped guide some of you who were interested in the swap. PEACE.

Last edited by DBENZOSEATWN; 08-13-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
08 E63 AMG P30, 2013 S550, 09 E63, 14 E63 S Wagon, 14 E350 Wagon(current), 13 C63 P31 (current)
thats fantastic! I have the 6190hd in one of my other cars and i absolutely love it! How does wifi work on this?

PS...I didnt think this was possible with MOST. Glad to know that it is!!

Thanks and awesome upgrade man
Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
I have been considering a similar option as my NAV keeps acting up...May I ask a few clarifying questions:
(1) What was the cost of the parts (headunit and others) ?
(2) You are still using the factory amp instead of the headunit amplifier ?
(3) Did the shop say how hard it would be to replace the amp with an aftermarket amp?
(4) How does the bluetooth work (where is the microphone) and does it kill music when you accept or make a call ?

Congrats & Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
No doubt about new features, I personally like the stock look better. This bland look is missing so many buttons. But as long as you like, it matters.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
The two biggest complaints I have about this car: the a/c and the audio. Both weak-sauce.

I really like this work-around, even if it is pretty expensive. Looking at $750 just for the MOST adapter and the dash kit. You'd think they would at least try to match the interior color with that surround. Might need to spray or wrap it.

Questions:
-Does it pull satellite/GPS info from your stock antennae?
-Phone stuff... how is the integration? Cij asked if it auto-mutes the audio for calls. Does it retain the stock garbage mic?
-If you are listening to FM and you get an alert, like a text message, will it play through the car speakers?
-How many USB ports on the rear? I assume connecting phone via USB will play the music files as is and bypass the phone's shiddy EQ.
-Do you prefer corn or flour tortillas for your tacos?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
The W220 has nice looking wood dash kits for cheap. I don't understand why nobody makes W221 wood dash kits. Maybe because the e-class had so many different kinds of wood finish.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 PM

2006 W211
Price

Originally Posted by Denroll
The two biggest complaints I have about this car: the a/c and the audio. Both weak-sauce.

I really like this work-around, even if it is pretty expensive. Looking at $750 just for the MOST adapter and the dash kit. You'd think they would at least try to match the interior color with that surround. Might need to spray or wrap it.

Questions:
-Does it pull satellite/GPS info from your stock antennae?
-Phone stuff... how is the integration? Cij asked if it auto-mutes the audio for calls. Does it retain the stock garbage mic?
-If you are listening to FM and you get an alert, like a text message, will it play through the car speakers?
-How many USB ports on the rear? I assume connecting phone via USB will play the music files as is and bypass the phone's shiddy EQ.
-Do you prefer corn or flour tortillas for your tacos?
LOL! Flour... but yea i have the same questions. And if you don't mind what was your approx total cost you spent on this.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 PM

It costs around

550 + 200 for NAV TV Parts.
1200 for HU
and 300 Installation

There is a mic right by the rear view mirror.

The MOST adapter from NAV retains your factory amps, so yes no aftermarket amp or speakers.

You can adjust settings to not have prompts through the car speakers. You can customize this deck in so many ways. Color of deck, sounds, sound zones, eq, everything you can think of.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 PM

wifi works by dongle that comes with HU that plugs in back. Works great, hotspot capability, etc. Coming from the NTG1 to this, its like a Honda accord to a Ferrari spider.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 PM

For sure, I am going to get the trim wrapped by Mark at Wu Wraps, get the gloss black to match my interior, so I dont mind the buttons. Just love having the touch screen right there, if I had a choice between those useless buttons or a touchscreen, id go with the touch screen. Of course I used the buttons don't get me wrong, but the features of this deck far out weigh anything the NTG1 could offer.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
I also noticed the h/u can display key automotive parameters (e.g. voltage, tire pressure, etc.)...any idea how it gets the data (OBD2??) ?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM

06 E55
What car toys did you go to. Gohawks
Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 PM

Bellevue Car Toys, the only one I trust in the area. They have the installers who can install this. Have done business with them since 1998 when I had my first pioneer deck. GO HAWKS!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 PM

the steering wheel controls adapter, provides the connectivity to display speed, fuel, voltage, etc

Last edited by DBENZOSEATWN; 08-12-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
very nice!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 86 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Looks really nice but 2 grand to upgrade ? A grand I could see doing this....
Old 08-13-2014, 12:30 AM

I didn't have bluetooth in my car, and was getting tired of seeing my friends cars with comand online or newer systems with live traffic updates, etc.

I am selling my NTG1 so that will help subtract off the total cost. Definitely love the sound and actually hearing my subwoofer bump. I don't ever have to worry about upgrading again unless I want some crazy sound system which I don't really think I will ever do as the stock system bumps.

Next time your in your car, look at the Nav maps, so outdated in my opinion. Got to pay to play, I wish I had done it sooner to be honest. You would be surprised in the difference of sound quality, the stock speakers are nice, they just needed a better H/U to really get the full effect of sound. I dont think you would have any regrets for upgrading.

Last edited by DBENZOSEATWN; 08-22-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I did similar upgrade when I bought my car.

I got Avic-140bh Pioneer instead though.

I got killed on the installation because future shop didn't know jack about installing and integrating this into with the existing system.

So every time they would start an install they'd realize this part is missing then that part is missing.

I had all similar costs but installation was around 600$ for me and my HU was a bit expensive.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by DBENZOSEATWN
I didn't have bluetooth in my car, and was getting tired of seeing my friends cars with comand online or newer systems with live traffic updates, etc.

I am selling my NTG1 so that will subtract some of the costs. Definitely love the sound and actually hearing my subwoofer bump. I don't ever have to worry about upgrading again unless I want some crazy sound system which I don't really think I will ever do as the stock system bumps.

Next time your in your car, look at the Nav maps, so outdated in my opinion. Got to pay to play, I wish I had done it sooner to be honest. You would be surprised in the difference of sound quality, the stock speakers are nice, they just needed a better amp to really get the full effect of sound. I dont think you would have any regrets for upgrading.
Sorry but I am confused about your sound quality and amp statements...Earlier you stated you are using the factory amp, so how did upgrading the h/u give you more power if you have retained the factory amplifier ?

I am thinking about upgrading (just for better Navigation and Bluetooth) as well, but just assumed I would need to upgrade the amplifier too if I wanted better sound...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by cij911
Sorry but I am confused about your sound quality and amp statements...Earlier you stated you are using the factory amp, so how did upgrading the h/u give you more power if you have retained the factory amplifier ?

I am thinking about upgrading (just for better Navigation and Bluetooth) as well, but just assumed I would need to upgrade the amplifier too if I wanted better sound...
Yes you are correct, I am using factory amp and speakers. With the MOST NavTV adapter, you can integrate any aftermarket HU to work with your stock speakers and factory amp.
And yes I am referring to the sound quality because it is night and day difference. It sounds amazing. The HU has EQ settings, zone settings, bass boost settings, subwoofer settings, everything you could imagine. Basically able to get "more" out of the factory amp by the EQ from the H/U. As mentioned my subwoofers really bump in comparison to before when I had no control over EQ.

If you decide you make the swap, I promise you will understand what I am talking about in sound difference. Hopefully that clears it up. Go for it man, you will love it. Really updates our cars to 2014.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 AM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55, 2011 Honda Push Mower (21 inch deck bishes)
My questions:

1. So the steering wheel controls still work for volume? What about the page menus where you can can control programmed favorites or change Sirius/XM channels?

2. Is the Sirius/XM plumbed into the stock MB Sat antenna? I don't want 2 of them on my car.

3. I have a full aftermarket system already with an external AMP, signal processor, and Sub.
Can I assume I wouldn't need the MOST adapter in that case? That would make this project A LOT more enticing. I feel like such a punk when we do a road trip and I have to whip out my suction cup mount and my little Garmin when the people in my car start giggling "LOL, even my Kia has navigation tee-hee-hee!". It's downright embarrassing.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 AM

Escalade ESV Platinum (Blue Chip), 2004 E55 (SOLD) , 2001 Brabus CL600 (SOLD), 1997 E420 (SOLD)
I think you just pushed me over the edge....only thing is, I'm more bias toward Pioneer. Anyone know which Pioneer HU is in comparison or better than the Kenwood mentioned above? Also, what if i want to use an aftermarket amp? Would i still need that MOST adapter
Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by typhoon43
My questions:

1. So the steering wheel controls still work for volume? What about the page menus where you can can control programmed favorites or change Sirius/XM channels?

2. Is the Sirius/XM plumbed into the stock MB Sat antenna? I don't want 2 of them on my car.

3. I have a full aftermarket system already with an external AMP, signal processor, and Sub.
Can I assume I wouldn't need the MOST adapter in that case? That would make this project A LOT more enticing. I feel like such a punk when we do a road trip and I have to whip out my suction cup mount and my little Garmin when the people in my car start giggling "LOL, even my Kia has navigation tee-hee-hee!". It's downright embarrassing.
1) Yes, all steering wheel functions remain the same, volume, change track, etc. You will need to get adapter for steering wheel controls, I got the one suggested by Kenwood idatalink Maestro.

2) There is a built-in tuner, but it is compatibile with an existing sirius antenna/tuner. So you will not need two antennas or anything like that.
Check out this link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZVq31nT...-DNN991HD.html

compatible with SiriusXM SXV200 satellite radio tuner
inputs: HDMI input, two rear USB inputs, two rear A/V inputs, two camera inputs (front, rear)
outputs: rear A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)

3. Yes you are correct, you won't need the MOST adapter because you are replacing factory amp. It sounds amazing using factory amp, etc so I can only imagine how awesome it will sound with more power through an aftermarket amp. I love the Garmin nav and especially the live traffic updates, construction notifications and detour routes provided. Its nice to be updated to the latest tech as one would have if they had comand online, or aftermarket H/U. It will be money well spent and I know you will love the touchscreen in your car. Always wanted to have Garmin nav and finally have it! Keep me updated if you do the swap!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BRABUSCL600
I think you just pushed me over the edge....only thing is, I'm more bias toward Pioneer. Anyone know which Pioneer HU is in comparison or better than the Kenwood mentioned above? Also, what if i want to use an aftermarket amp? Would i still need that MOST adapter
shameless plug for my website, but here are the top aftermarket HU's:

http://revupyourswag.com/2014/07/30/...ket-headunits/

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT 7-Inch Flagship In-Dash Navigation A/V Receiver

I have always rocked Pioneer in my other cars, the kenwood had some features that I wanted and Kenwood had high reviews, so I went that route. You can't go wrong with either. And no you don't need the MOST adapter if you are replacing factory amp.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Escalade ESV Platinum (Blue Chip), 2004 E55 (SOLD) , 2001 Brabus CL600 (SOLD), 1997 E420 (SOLD)
after reading the reviews...i think the kenwood is the better choice...especially regarding nav...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Upgraded My Comand NTG1 to Kenwood DNN991HD Aftermarket Headunit