W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I would never buy anything ASP again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, E55 AMG
Originally Posted by biggking
Dude I don't know what you guys see but you can tell that the center piece of the ASP pulley MELTED away. The rear mount that the pulley bolts onto is an AMG tensioner for 55k. Bearings on the ASP pulley got stuck and then melted away?!?!
I saw that too in the photos?! Doesnt look right. Perhaps there was no spacer in between the amg pulley and the ASP one. Or the ASP one was facing the wrong way. The snap ring normally faces forward from my knowledge.. I wouldve looked for any metal shavings on the coolant hoses below to see if they were grinding, bad bearings are very noticeable and highly audible. A wobbling pulley is usually because it is misaligned which can progressively get worse

Last edited by RAWE55; 08-20-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Bearing might have seized which is a defect in the product, asp should realize that. No company should curse at their customer especially when it's a defect in their product. No excuse for that.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 PM

C63 AMG, E55 AMG
I totally agree about ASP if the product was defective they shouldve done more about it. If the bearing seized wouldnt the idlers have been squeeling and grinding not just wobbling before shearing itself off
Old 08-19-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 1970gsx
From your "original post" it seems the dealer was doing everything right about replacing the defective part. It is not their fault it's your daily driver or you didn't have $100 deposit to get part sent sooner. You saw it wobbling and should have known better than to drive it even after being "assured". Also, if your original pulley's failed at 75k maybe you have something else going on.
In the end, whether I sent theoney right away or didn't drive it... I still wasn't going to drive it when it got worse, but since he kept assuring me that it won't fall off, I drove... Didn't make it very far.

Once again, this is advice from a very popular forum member and the owner of his company... Not some random rep.

Last edited by cwmateiuc; 08-19-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Oh and that vendor is Shardul by the way.

Last edited by cwmateiuc; 08-20-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
Bearings are all subject to defect or stress failures. Have you determined that the bearing is seized-up? Was it making a noise prior to failing?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 AM

C63 AMG, E55 AMG
^ my point also, a failing bearing would be making all sorts of noises. It wouldnt seize out of nowhere. OP only said wobbling. We can only speculate on the cause until more information is received
Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 AM

W211 E63 AMG / W124 E500 / Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 / Lotus Elise 111s MK1
Originally Posted by cwmateiuc
Oh and that vendor is Shardul by the way.
Ah, precisely the info I was looking for.

But if not him, where else can we get Pulleys ?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 AM

C63 AMG, E55 AMG
1 catastrophic pulley failure and everyone blames the vendor. For all we know it couldve been an instalation error. So much bad mouthing gets pressed around on this forum for minor bullsh** We are human, mistakes are made everyday. Im not a** kissing but this platform wouldnt be anywhere without UPD. 1 bad judgement call, 1 defective part, whatever it may be and The vendor gets the blame. Shardul did step up and offer the replacement. These idlers have been around for quiet sometime. Havent seen many if any apart from this 1 fail like it did. Shearing itself off

Last edited by RAWE55; 08-20-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by RAWE55
1 catastrophic pulley failure and everyone blames the vendor. For all we know it couldve been an instalation error. So much bad mouthing gets pressed around on this forum for minor bullsh** We are human, mistakes are made everyday. Im not a** kissing but this platform wouldnt be anywhere without UPD. 1 bad judgement call, 1 defective part, whatever it may be and The vendor gets the blame. Shardul did step up and offer the replacement. These idlers have been around for quiet sometime. Havent seen many if any apart from this 1 fail like it did. Shearing itself off
Well said. I could not agree more.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 AM

E55
I have an asp product on my car and was bought from asp before I bought the car. No failures but if I call them and they start swearing at me they would lose business. One bad experience can lose years of loyalty.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 AM

W211 E63 AMG / W124 E500 / Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 / Lotus Elise 111s MK1
Originally Posted by AgSilver
Well said. I could not agree more.
I agree too actually, difficult to blame a product based on a single failure.

Do we have info on how this pulleys were fitted on the car ? DIY or professionally installed ?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
So he tells me i can send $100 deposit in order for them to send me a new one, then I can send mine back once I get the new one.

Had some things to pay for, couldn't afford to shell out the money at that exact point and time, so I waited.
Call me an *******, but you sure you're ready to own an AMG mercedes if you can't, at any point in time, afford $100. I could see if its like $5k that you didn't have just sitting around in your checking account, but $100? Thats a little more than a single tank of gas.

Also, you keep mentioning its your daily driver. You should know by now that modifying your car is a risk and that there is always the risk of failure. If you are having trouble with that, then you shouldn't modify your vehicle.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
1 failure? Um have you seen how many UPD SC pulley failures there have been? Here's an example from a couple days ago:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...lley-mess.html

Notice how many others chimed in saying their pulleys failed as well. This isn't the first product that has failed from Shardul.

Regardless, cursing at a paying customer when the product you sold caused all this damage and down time is unacceptable.

You think offering a replacement is acceptable? Seems like you all are the guinea pigs for the products. You would be ok with driving down the road and a pulley flying off damaging surrounding areas such as hoses etc (coolant on the tires could easily cause a huge accident)? The associated down time, labor (if you don't DIY), replacing other parts, tow, etc etc come out of your pocket for a product that is faulty (The failure rate of the SC pulley is alarming to say the least). I wouldn't be too happy
Old 08-20-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Shardul fixed this for you like 2 months ago man!! I know because I shipped them to you.. care for a tracking number?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 AM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55, 2011 Honda Push Mower (21 inch deck bishes)
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Call me an *******, but you sure you're ready to own an AMG mercedes if you can't, at any point in time, afford $100. I could see if its like $5k that you didn't have just sitting around in your checking account, but $100? Thats a little more than a single tank of gas.

Also, you keep mentioning its your daily driver. You should know by now that modifying your car is a risk and that there is always the risk of failure. If you are having trouble with that, then you shouldn't modify your vehicle.

This is where "you have to pay to play" rings true. I'm sorry for your misfortune, but it seems Shardul offered to help. A deposit for a return is a simple business practice, and one that is necessary thanks to the World we live in where all you have is an internet handle and a Paypal account to provide a level of trust from the buyer. I think you'll be hard-pressed to get a bunch of comments about Shardul's shady business practices. The guys has personally taken my calls at 11 at night when I was having an issue and needed the car running by morning. Do I think he was wrong in telling you to drive on a bad pulley? Sure.. but that's called HINDSIGHT. Shardul has been selling these idlers for YEARS and as others have said, the failure rate is almost non-existent. It's the old case of "never say never", because I'm sure Shardul based his comment on the fact that he may have never heard of one of his pulleys shearing off, so he made an educated statement that came around to bite him. Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but it could have been MUCH worse. If you think a tow and hose is expensive, just wait for your airmatic to sh*t the bed, or in my case, I now have a rear main seal leak out of nowhere, and this is my only vehicle too. I take my lumps though. It's the price you pay to drive an AMG.
Best of lucj with everything man. I'm sure things will be fine.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM

2006 E55 AMG
They have warranty. So there was no "stepping up" that wasn't expected.

Yeah, the part failed and cost me more money than they are worth and the vendor, being Shardul, was a dick. What's your point? Am I supposed to grope his ***** because he's Shardul? Seems you have that covered.

Read the full conversation.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by thumper823
Shardul fixed this for you like 2 months ago man!! I know because I shipped them to you.. care for a tracking number?
Where in this post does it say this happened yesterday?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Thanks for all the comments guys.
Customer was taken care of couple of months ago, and I would be willing to help him in the future if need arises no bad feelings. I have helped all the people that I can, now for some reason if someone has had a bad experience in dealing with me I am sorry. Contact me and I will make amends.
Nothing else I can do but to move on.
First and last post in this Shardul beating thread lol
Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Idler pulleys aren't really a crazy modification, good thing I didn't do an upper supercharger pulley... I probably would of needed a new hood.

Anyway, the fact is that I wasn't going to drive the car when it got worse, so wether I paid the 100 right away or not, would have never happened if I never drove the car that day.

I did after being reassured that it would not come off, and it did, damaging other parts and leaking coolant everywhere, I steamed out the entire highway.

Then I get treated like crap and I get smart *** comments by Shardul on this forum.

So that's why I would never buy anything ASP ever again.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
Customer was taken care of couple of months ago, and I would be willing to help him in the future if need arises no bad feelings. I have helped all the people that I can, now for some reason if someone has had a bad experience in dealing with me I am sorry. Contact me and I will make amends.
You fixed it by replacing a warrantied pulley and a 15 dollar hose.

Which on the pulley I paid half of the shipping anyway.

My tow bill cost more than the idler pulleys.

I clearly said I would post on the forum about this and you said "I don't care go ahead" then two seconds later offered to send me a hose which you originally tried selling me.

Then you turn around and post a sarcastic reply to my airmatic thread and delete it right away, but I got the email for it.

So that's EXACTLY why I will never deal with you or your junk again.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by shardul
You fixed it by replacing a warrantied pulley and a 15 dollar hose.

Which on the pulley I paid half of the shipping anyway.

My tow bill cost more than the idler pulleys.

I clearly said I would post on the forum about this and you said "I don't care go ahead" then two seconds later offered to send me a hose which you originally tried selling me.

Then you turn around and post a sarcastic reply to my airmatic thread and delete it right away, but I got the email for it.

So that's EXACTLY why I will never deal with you or your junk again.

Thanks
Really sorry to hear that. Shardul posts smart comments and deletes them all the time. That's why I'm glad it gets sent as a email for documentation. Also the moderators can still see the deleted posts.

You should contact Internet Brands if you want something done and are unhappy with your experience since Shardul is a sponsor
Old 08-20-2014, 10:40 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Really sorry to hear that. Shardul posts smart comments and deletes them all the time. That's why I'm glad it gets sent as a email for documentation. Also the moderators can still see the deleted posts.

You should contact Internet Brands if you want something done and are unhappy with your experience since Shardul is a sponsor
Thanks! At least it seems I'm not the only one.

And glad to know that I didn't buy an upper pulley and have it pinball under my hood. Those people should definitely get reimbursed for EVERYTHING.

Last edited by cwmateiuc; 08-20-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM

'05 E55
I have no stake in the game other than having a few parts, and a good response from Shardul. As far as the parts, you will find VERY FEW performance parts/dealers that will warrant the parts, let alone the outcome of having them. Almost all performance parts are at your own risk...choose wisely.

I'd probably not want to use any performance parts on a car that I relied on for a daily driver. As the old adage goes: you gotta pay to play.

Certainly not trying to minimize your pain...it really sucks and is unfortunate.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MindBend
I have no stake in the game other than having a few parts, and a good response from Shardul. As far as the parts, you will find VERY FEW performance parts/dealers that will warrant the parts, let alone the outcome of having them. Almost all performance parts are at your own risk...choose wisely.

I'd probably not want to use any performance parts on a car that I relied on for a daily driver. As the old adage goes: you gotta pay to play.

Certainly not trying to minimize your pain...it really sucks and is unfortunate.
The pulley's came with a warranty

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why I would never buy anything ASP again.