W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Why I would never buy anything ASP again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2014 | 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
By looking at the pulley you had it reversed and the two were touching.
I'm sure that when he said it would not fall off that was based on "you or your tech" installing it correctly.
Old 08-20-2014 | 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Likely the exact cause of the issue, as I recall when installing mine it was possible to install it backwards. Most everyone I know has these pulleys and none of them have had an issue, at least the OP is the first I have heard of to have a problem.

As the old saying goes, "When you point one finger, there are three fingers pointing back to you."
Old 08-20-2014 | 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by cwmateiuc
Because I don't agree with you? Awww
No, because you represent the epitome of this generation that assumes the victim role in every situation and refuses to accept ANY responsibility for their own actions, or in this case, mistakes. And to top it off you had to hear a curse word directed at you? You poor poor baby!

Plenty of us have been through this, many into it for thousands of dollars instead of some insignificant amount, most of the owners had no direct hand in the failure (unlike you), didn't get an offer to replace/refund parts, and they still spent less time crying about it.
Old 08-20-2014 | 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Is it odd that after reading this thread I am actually compelled to contact Shardul to buy a whole bunch of pulleys? Seriously.

I know a bunch of local guys here that have his products or products he distributes and love them.
Old 08-20-2014 | 07:26 PM

2004 AMG E55, 2011 Ram 2500 6.7L
Seems to me you were trying to do something you never should have:
It is your daily driver, but you modded it? It is also obvious that this is too expensive of a car for you to own, $100 is a drop in the bucket for a car like this.

Before you land blast me, I know from $1000 of Airmatic repair this spring that I HAVE to have another car to keep or play with this one. Sorry.
Old 08-20-2014 | 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Roverron
I'm sure that when he said it would not fall off that was based on "you or your tech" installing it correctly.
Just out of curiosity, how can you tell that from the pics?
Old 08-20-2014 | 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
bwahaha...this thread is still going...holy crap.. this guy should consult a therapist at this point. Maybe we all could pitch in for that!!
Old 08-20-2014 | 10:19 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55Freak
bwahaha...this thread is still going...holy crap.. this guy should consult a therapist at this point. Maybe we all could pitch in for that!!
Haha right!

You want my Paypal address?

And pleaE tell me by that picture how you can tell exactly how they were put on? Those were laid on the ground, not necessarily in the same order they were on the car. But good try!

Last edited by cwmateiuc; 08-21-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2014 | 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
lol bro $100? an oil on these cars costs more than that!

maybe you need to pick up a Ruckus or something
Old 08-20-2014 | 10:26 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sthoms
Seems to me you were trying to do something you never should have:
It is your daily driver, but you modded it? It is also obvious that this is too expensive of a car for you to own, $100 is a drop in the bucket for a car like this.

Before you land blast me, I know from $1000 of Airmatic repair this spring that I HAVE to have another car to keep or play with this one. Sorry.

It's an idler pulley, once again. Not a supercharger pulley.
Old 08-20-2014 | 10:43 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Okay, here are two pictures of both sides. Please elaborate.

Would you like a picture of the other side of the other pulley also?

Maybe you can tell me the amount of torque I used to tighten the bolt, also.

Originally Posted by G_Money
lol bro $100? an oil on these cars costs more than that!

maybe you need to pick up a Ruckus or something
Oh wow you've changed your oil before!

I haven't changed the oil in my car since 40k miles ago, so I wouldn't know.
Attached Thumbnails Why I would never buy anything ASP again.-photo-1.jpg   Why I would never buy anything ASP again.-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by cwmateiuc; 08-20-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2014 | 11:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 W211 E55
Hi

Ok lets look at this issue.

1) Maybe the pulleys were installed incorrectly? (we don't know yet).

OR

2) Maybe the pulleys were faulty? (we don't know yet).

3) Maybe something else caused this issue?

Whilst we cannot cry over spilt milk we can all live and learn from this event. Maybe it would be a good idea for the manufacturer of these pulleys to put a texta mark on the pulley stating which side faces the engine when installing the pulley? I didn't have this issue myself as I used a professional mechanic to install my pulleys but we should all have the opportunity to DIY if we so desire. This is point number 1 fixed.

In regards to point number 2, if it is a single failure and nobody else has a failure of the same part and I am not just talking about in the past but also over the next couple of years it could be established that the part was not faulty and it did let go due to faulty installation. We will only truly know the outcome to this as time goes by and if any other reports of faulty asp pulleys pop up. This is all that can be done about point number 2 unless you send the damaged pulley to an air crash investigation team.

And something to keep in the back of our minds when we modify engines or cars for that matter we are changing the way the car was originally manufactured and tested for use, this can add extra stress and fatigue on other parts of the vehicle that do not always seem obvious.

As we all know the standard pulleys have a common problem with this type of thing so if it is only 1 customer that has the problem with the ASP pulley well then it is a modification worth doing.

I am not sticking up for shardul or the op in this case just presenting facts as I see them. I think that shardul stated to you it wont fall off or create any issues assuming the part itself was not faulty and was in fact installed correctly. If something is faulty or not installed correctly nothing can be guaranteed even after a close inspection.

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Old 08-20-2014 | 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
..common sense does not matter..
?
Old 08-21-2014 | 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
I haven't changed the oil in my car since 40k miles ago (...)
Old 08-21-2014 | 12:10 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by G_Money
Your wife?
Old 08-21-2014 | 12:11 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
?
Context matters.

And crying over spilled milk? I'm replying to people that posted replies to the thread. I work on the computer so it's fairly quick and simple.
Old 08-21-2014 | 12:16 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by OZZYAMG
Hi

Ok lets look at this issue.

1) Maybe the pulleys were installed incorrectly? (we don't know yet).

OR

2) Maybe the pulleys were faulty? (we don't know yet).

3) Maybe something else caused this issue?

Whilst we cannot cry over spilt milk we can all live and learn from this event. Maybe it would be a good idea for the manufacturer of these pulleys to put a texta mark on the pulley stating which side faces the engine when installing the pulley? I didn't have this issue myself as I used a professional mechanic to install my pulleys but we should all have the opportunity to DIY if we so desire. This is point number 1 fixed.

In regards to point number 2, if it is a single failure and nobody else has a failure of the same part and I am not just talking about in the past but also over the next couple of years it could be established that the part was not faulty and it did let go due to faulty installation. We will only truly know the outcome to this as time goes by and if any other reports of faulty asp pulleys pop up. This is all that can be done about point number 2 unless you send the damaged pulley to an air crash investigation team.

And something to keep in the back of our minds when we modify engines or cars for that matter we are changing the way the car was originally manufactured and tested for use, this can add extra stress and fatigue on other parts of the vehicle that do not always seem obvious.

As we all know the standard pulleys have a common problem with this type of thing so if it is only 1 customer that has the problem with the ASP pulley well then it is a modification worth doing.

I am not sticking up for shardul or the op in this case just presenting facts as I see them. I think that shardul stated to you it wont fall off or create any issues assuming the part itself was not faulty and was in fact installed correctly. If something is faulty or not installed correctly nothing can be guaranteed even after a close inspection.

Regards,

OZZYAMG
Yeah I just posted my experience based on a comment that Shardul left. I wasn't going to post this originally, once my car was driving again, that's all I really cared about. But the part that annoyed me is that he goes and talks trash after and deleted it like a little kid, after a text message/phone argument before. So i posted why I will not deal with ASP products or Shardul. I'm merely replying to what people are saying at this point. that's all.

But I completely understand your point... Most people are not understanding what I'm trying to say and aren't even reading the thread before replying.

I don't really care, I have other stuff to spend my time worrying about. Just posted my experience and my opinion. That is all. And I'm out!

Last edited by cwmateiuc; 08-21-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2014 | 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Roverron
Actually by looking at the pulley I thought the exact opposite. The pulley was installed correctly if camera lighting isn't hiding anything. One pulley is completely sheered from the center, the other remains intact with hardly any scratches on its surfaces. With the normal proximity of those pulleys when its installed correctly, I do not believe there was an install issue.

However I have the same pulleys and I read up on them considerably before buying them. This is the first I have heard of such a failure. And the OP has every right to not buy from Shardul or buy any ASP product again. He also has every right to post those sentiments on this board. But will that stop me from buying from Shardul? Hell no! So we hear ya, but I guess what most people are saying is we don't really care about what else it damaged because when those parts fail, they usually take out neighboring parts with them. And the fact that the part has a warranty does not make the seller liable to warrant other parts it destroys.

Why did you need this pulley to begin with? Because your stock one failed or was failing. If you hadn't caught that before it fell apart, guess what? You would have had the same problem. If you had bought the part from Mercedes and it failed cos some tech told you hey drive on it to the shop, should be alright....well you would still have to pay to replace the same parts you did.

In closing, sorry it happened to you, I will be checking on mine tonight since it makes squeaky noises when I first start the car in the mornings till it warms up. However sh** happens! Now if mine is bad, I'm sure Shardul will take care of me (though I actually do not think there is anything wrong with mine) and I KNOW if I had issues like you described, NO ONE will be able to convince me to drive on it for a while till I can replace it. Why? I can see what is happening, the person on the phone really cannot and my description might not be accurate enough to assess so I will use common sense.

Now can we let this die? (says the guy who wrote a novel)
Old 08-21-2014 | 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Let me ask everyone this. How would you react to being sweared at when you gave a vendor/shop your hard earned money?
Old 08-21-2014 | 06:26 PM

05 E55
Jesus go lease a civic if you can't handle minor issues with the car. It's unbelievable how people react to something that's not a vendors fault.

You drove the car with known issues. I suspect that you would jump of a building if someone said you would fly right?
Old 08-21-2014 | 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, E55 AMG
This threads moving nowhere fast except to maybe offtopic. On that note Id lease this one..
Old 08-21-2014 | 10:17 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by WoodyBang
Jesus go lease a civic if you can't handle minor issues with the car. It's unbelievable how people react to something that's not a vendors fault.

You drove the car with known issues. I suspect that you would jump of a building if someone said you would fly right?
Lol ok "woodybang"