Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot get into trunk with dead battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e500
My car has been sitting for over a month now with no power at all... Even my car now is so low because I guess the "air" from the air shocks gone so I desperately need to fix my car.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jaymausantos
My car has been sitting for over a month now with no power at all... Even my car now is so low because I guess the "air" from the air shocks gone so I desperately need to fix my car.
If there's no power to the car at all, it's either the battery or a main fuse... even with a completely destroyed BCM parts of the vehicle would still work. You may need to send it in if you can't find the source, a diagnostic fee is cheaper than a lot of fixes on these cars
Old 09-24-2014, 01:04 PM

2004 e500
You know I think it's the main fuse because when I put the battery in I don't get any spark at all its like the car doesn't know that there's a battery. Anyways, where can I find the main fuse? That's the first thing that I wanted to check but I don't have a fuse diagram on my car. Thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 09:00 AM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...les-chart.html
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM

2004 e500
Thank you very much! Just checked out the fuse diagram and made copies already. Last question, probably a stupid question for you but which one is the power source fuse or better yet which one should I check? Many thanks again!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:39 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
All of them, lol. It's important that your systems are functioning correctly, you should never have a burned out fuse.

For this particular problem, I would start with the fuses with the highest amperage and work your way down.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:43 AM

2004 e500
That's actu the first thing I did, checked all the fuses and all of them were good. But the relays I never did coz I don't really know how to tell if it's still good or not but I will do it again and double check every single fuse and hopefully will find something. If none, can I remove the bcm from the car and take it to a star diagnostic shop? Or do I have to have the car towed to the MB dealership to have it fix... It's been more than a month now that my car is not running... I'm getting desperate already!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:59 AM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
That's actu the first thing I did, checked all the fuses and all of them were good. But the relays I never did coz I don't really know how to tell if it's still good or not but I will do it again and double check every single fuse and hopefully will find something. If none, can I remove the bcm from the car and take it to a star diagnostic shop? Or do I have to have the car towed to the MB dealership to have it fix... It's been more than a month now that my car is not running... I'm getting desperate already!
A shop won't have the equipment to bench test a BCM.

Like I said, there are things in the car that are not controlled by the BCM, so if those are not getting power... you have another problem.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:59 PM

2004 e500
Hi guys, just want to tell you that I finally got my car started and running!!! Checked all the fuses, then went to the dealership and got a new battery.. Installed it and boom! Got power and everything looks AOK. Didn't even have to reset anything... Just the clock.
Anyways, thanks for all the help and support... You guys are the best! Now my next project is to lower my car using the star diagnostics I read on one of the post here...it'll save me a lot of money instead of buying springs to drop my car.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 AM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Hi guys, just want to tell you that I finally got my car started and running!!! Checked all the fuses, then went to the dealership and got a new battery.. Installed it and boom! Got power and everything looks AOK. Didn't even have to reset anything... Just the clock.
Anyways, thanks for all the help and support... You guys are the best! Now my next project is to lower my car using the star diagnostics I read on one of the post here...it'll save me a lot of money instead of buying springs to drop my car.
I figured you checked the batt and tried the passenger footwell jumper method already. I'm glad you got it all resolved
Old 11-25-2014, 04:33 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by rockthemullet
Here ya go. This is a power wire... hook the positive side of your jump box or second battery to this and the negative side to a ground. I usually use one of the passenger seat bolts because I have skinny extenders on my jump box leads, but you can use anything on the chassis.

So is that black cable the positive? Everyone is saying that it should be a red cable but mine is black also. I tried to hook up a volt meter to this and it doesn't give me a reading as if the black cable is the negative and not positive. I do not want to hook it up incorrectly. Can someone verify that the black cable in this picture is the positive so I can open my trunk?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:34 PM

2003 E500
Otherwise, can someone post a picture of the place that I can jump it from behind the SAM? I don't know where the SAM is located so I don't know where to look.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Originally Posted by JDM_SXE-10
Otherwise, can someone post a picture of the place that I can jump it from behind the SAM? I don't know where the SAM is located so I don't know where to look.
I had no luck at all finding the positive in my RHD car - the wiring is different. The only way I have been able to start her (twice now) has been under the windscreen wipers as shown earlier in this thread if I remember rightly...
Old 11-28-2014, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Opening the trunk is done with the little key on the key. I had this same issue a couple of weeks back and the damn key just wasn't working because people told me to turn anti clockwise when in fact turning it clockwise while pulling on the lever is what got it done. You went through alot of trouble to take out the wipers and all...

PS. I've jumped the car from the battery and nothing bad has happened so not sure why you all are going to the trouble of jumping it from the front.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by e500slr
Opening the trunk is done with the little key on the key. I had this same issue a couple of weeks back and the damn key just wasn't working because people told me to turn anti clockwise when in fact turning it clockwise while pulling on the lever is what got it done. You went through alot of trouble to take out the wipers and all...

PS. I've jumped the car from the battery and nothing bad has happened so not sure why you all are going to the trouble of jumping it from the front.
On occasion the trunk is "deadlocked" for want of a better term and no amount of fiddling with any key will open the lock. The whole idea of getting into the trunk was to get to the battery in the first place which needed charging or a jump start but being inaccessible the jump start was necessary elsewhere. The 2 places mentioned in this thread are the only options. If you read this entire tread you will realize what a nightmare this can be unless following these instructions to the T.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 383 Likes on 319 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
The trunk key has a very specific way to be used, and "Fiddling" with it is not likely to open the trunk.

If I recall correctly you turn the key all the way (I forget the direction) and then while holding the key you pull the handle.

Given that without instructions it took me about 10 minuets to figure this out, I can see how some people believe it is either "broken" or works randomly.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by N_Jay
The trunk key has a very specific way to be used, and "Fiddling" with it is not likely to open the trunk.

If I recall correctly you turn the key all the way (I forget the direction) and then while holding the key you pull the handle.

Given that without instructions it took me about 10 minuets to figure this out, I can see how some people believe it is either "broken" or works randomly.

Umm I'm not too sure about you people that take 10 minutes to open the trunk with the backup key as it is actually quite simple. I have done this many times both before and after my episode with the flat battery WHICH NECESSITATED THE STEPS LISTED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD TO SOLVE. In fact I think ALL possible solutions to this problem have already been covered which is pretty obvious when taking the time to read.

Last edited by TheTherapist; 12-01-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 383 Likes on 319 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by TheTherapist

Umm I'm not too sure about you people that take 10 minutes to open the trunk with the backup key as it is actually quite simple. . . . . . .
Well, if you have never done it on you MB, and have never done it on any car requiring the same procedure, you are likely to stick the key in and turn it one way or the other expecting that to pop the trunk.

Then you say "Hmmm, that was weird, it did not work"

So you turn it one way and back and try the handle then the other way and back and try the handle. And say "I sure hope something is not broken".

So out of desperation, you figure maybe you need to hold the handle while turning the key, and still no joy.

So in an act of complete frustration you start turning the key while pulling the handle hoping to feel one or the other catch the mechanism, and eventually you get the key turned and held the right way as you pull the handle and Voilą!

(and if you are like me, you pay attention to what made it work and double check you can do it again) (Or you just assume it is a maybe thing)