W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Doing the intercooler and pump mod, any special way to bleed the system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
15 S63, 18 Ram 2500 Cummins
Doing the intercooler and pump mod, any special way to bleed the system?

I am installing my bigger intercooler and johnson pump, im also going to obviously use all new MB coolant. Is there a special way to bleed the system on these cars and any other coolant relating thing I should do?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, E55 AMG
If you dont have a hose to use the bleed nipple on the return line coming out of the intercooler, i found the best way to bleed the system is take a short drive to get the coolant temps up to 70 degrees celcius. Then park the car shut it off and open up the coolant reservoir as it is hot and pressurised. be careful that it doesnt get to hot, dont open it above 90 degrees celcius! You will hear and also see the level drop as it gurgles and bubbles up any air pockets into the reservoir. Dont forget to top up the reservoir with coolant after the installation of the pump.

Alternatively you have to use the bleed nipple and clamp down the return line while the car is still running after a drive (pump running) and run the hose into the coolant reservoir to bleed off any air pockets. Or use a 12v battery to get the pump running and bleed it that way.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:29 PM

03 E55 AMG
I did my entire system 2 weeks ago when I changed out a damaged hose and you don't need to worry. Just dump your coolant/water mix in with the engine warm - not hot. I ran my engine for a short while with the reservoir open and topped up as the bubbles came out. I left it overnight and put in the last liter the next morning. My car took roughly 10 liters in total and the level has not changed since I did this. Don't get stressed about trapped air bubbles - they will work their own way out naturally.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
and what about split the engine coolant water from the intercooler circuit ? you did not do that ?
Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM

03 E55 AMG
Mine is not split yet so it is all part of the same system - no need to do separately.