Sponsored by:

Add me to the list of failed SBC...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 F250, 2017 Jeep Renegade
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Gee...ref not reading German, maybe one should read post #110.
I have C4 Version, and I could not find it, of course when I was looking it was from another Post on German Spelling not yours.
Maybe your looking at it through C3? If not than I'm sure as hell going to look again! Please let me know!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 999 Likes on 777 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cadbob
I have C4 Version, and I could not find it, of course when I was looking it was from another Post on German Spelling not yours.
Maybe your looking at it through C3? If not than I'm sure as hell going to look again! Please let me know!

I do have the C3 version and have not used a C4 version. I cannot answer if the display is different between the two. I can state that the W210 diagnostic portion looks like an old Atari game whereas the W211 diagnostics are much more polished.

Wish I could point you more definitively but if I find a possible solution, I will post here and PM you.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Instructions for the C3. Unknown for the C4. If it is different and you figure it out, please post!

W211 SBC reset

Start engine.
Start xentry, go to:

(cycle through multiple menus to select your vehicle)
Control units
Chassis
SBC sensotronic brake control
development data
Actuations
Complete index of Actuations
Bremsenzahler aktualisieren und Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen (NOTE! Stop Here If You Only Want To Track The Activation Count!! The ulNBR is the actuation count. I track mine, I do not reset. Back out of the program at this point if you are not going to reset the count.)
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Bremsenzahler auf beliebigen Wert setzen
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen und schreiben
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
log out of xentry
Do not turn off car.
drive for at least 10 minutes. (or let idle)

Last edited by bbirdwell; 04-07-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added line ref menus
The following users liked this post:
palmer03827 (08-02-2018)
Old 04-08-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 F250, 2017 Jeep Renegade
Nice write up bbirdwell. :-) Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
That darn SBC! $2400 to replace after 11 years! That's $18 per month! Grrrr! Just to teach Mercedes a lesson I'm going to go out and purchase a new car for $55,000 rather than spend the money to replace the brake system! That'll show 'em!

<sheesh>

It's a part of the cost of owning a car with computerized control to enhance the safety of the occupants. I put the SBC system to extensive use driving my E55 seven hours to cover 180 miles in a Hill Country ice storm (which I will *never* do again). I literally believe that system kept me (and my family) on the road (unlike the 36 or so cars/trucks in the ditch, rolled over, and smashed that I saw). After holing up in San Angelo overnight, I talked with another guest who related to me how his SUV slid off the road not once, but twice! The second time it rolled over, totaled the SUV, but he was the only one injured. His wife and daughter were unharmed.

How much do folks spend on tires and wheels? How much is one willing to spend to enhance the safety of one's family? ("Sorry, wife, but you aren't worth $18/month for a computer-enhanced safety system that could save your life and the lives of our children.") For comparison, what is the cost per month per phone on one's smart phone? I would wager it is more than $18 per month. So...the smart phone is worth the cost but the computer enhanced safety system is not?

I'll sing the praises of this system while continuing to monitor the life span. When the SBC reaches 290,000 actuations, I'll replace it with no complaints. Instead, I'll give thanks to the engineers who designed such a system that improves the odds for me and, more importantly, my family.
^^This is retarded. I have not seen many 2009 and newer MBs in the ditches, hell I have hardly seen any other cars in the ditches either, simply because they do not have SBC. In fact there is a better chance you will end up in the ditch regardless of weather with the SBC than not IMO. After all with SBC, if you cheap out, or do not know that day is the day your system fails, you can end up in the ditch where in many cars you will have a feedback warning long before your master cylinder fails, if it fails at all.
I feel more secure in really bad weather in my wife's car (528i with NO SBC) than my own in adverse weather conditions. I have near new tires with full thread (Michelin pilot AS3-same as she does btw), SBC is in full functioning effect, brake pads, rotors, brake fluid, etc are all less than a year old). Yet I will drive her car any day over mine when the weather gets bad.

That being said, yes if your car's SBC is at its useful life expectancy, change it. Reset for a short period, come up with the funds and change it. Your car much much safer that way!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Instructions for the C3. Unknown for the C4. If it is different and you figure it out, please post!

W211 SBC reset

Start engine.
Start xentry, go to:

(cycle through multiple menus to select your vehicle)
Control units
Chassis
SBC sensotronic brake control
development data
Actuations
Complete index of Actuations
Bremsenzahler aktualisieren und Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen (NOTE! Stop Here If You Only Want To Track The Activation Count!! The ulNBR is the actuation count. I track mine, I do not reset. Back out of the program at this point if you are not going to reset the count.)
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Bremsenzahler auf beliebigen Wert setzen
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen und schreiben
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
log out of xentry
Do not turn off car.
drive for at least 10 minutes. (or let idle)

Great info!!! Now I can see how much longer before I fix this. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
SBC Training File

To understand the complexity of the system and to walk through the operation of the SBC, search for and peruse a training file titled "319 HO SBC". It used to be available at www.mercedestechstore.com but that now leads to a "404" message.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
I am sure it is an integral part of the vehicle stability system. However there are superior systems on the market without the complexities that plague this one. Have you noticed that it is curiously absent in the 2009 and up models?
Don't forget you are referencing a MB training manual....it will spell it as the end of all stability systems. It is MB who also said speed density and SOHC with their new appraoch is the answer to new emissions standard and power in the modern power-plants.....they promptly deserted that and went back to DOHC and variable valve timing 6 years later
Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
kponti, superior systems always arrive in time. Back in 2000 through 2004 I was a member of a team that designed a state-of-the-art science instrument (my part was very small, I assure you!). It will arrive at Pluto in a few weeks. Could it be better if built with today's technology? Yep. It could.

Currently working on a team building science instruments to pass through the outer edges of the Sun's atmosphere. Could we do it better ten years from now? Probably.
<end of blatant appeal to authority because I don't have any>
My point is, better is the enemy of good enough and the bean-counters and business managers have a vote. For a 12-year old system, the SBC is fantastic. When I (finally) learned of the negatives of the SBC, I was aghast that I purchased a W211. Over time, I revised my opinion to the view I made the correct decision and I wholeheartedly endorse it. I will depend upon the computer control in my car as I depend upon the computer control in the Boeing 777 every time I fly on a commercial airliner.

Driving my W210 E55 and W211 E55 I can easily discern the improvement in the stability programming. The W211 is head and shoulders above the W210's ESP (which is head and shoulders above my quarter-century old Miata). I'd love to have the money to put a W212 in my garage for comparison purposes but my wife and cats would mutiny!

This would be a great conversation over beer someday if we end up in the same location. No one wins but every one gets beer. So everyone wins.

Cadbob, please post if the instructions also apply to the C4. FWIW, every time I change the motor oil I log the actuation number. And, my apologies if I came across as harsh, but it's a product of multiple decades in the military. Mea culpa.

kponti, I concur with your comment on tracking actuations, resetting if necessary, saving money, and then replacing as necessary. We seem to think along the same lines.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63

Houston ,TX for that beer!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Tried this to see my counts and got a blank space
The following users liked this post:
ktwosteve2 (09-21-2017)